Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:59 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I agree that these men are extremist but lets look at this from a different perspective;

Homosexuality is based on a faith in feelings, attraction, desires, wants, according to the Bible it is based on the works of the flesh. This makes it a choice and I don't care how much twisting and turning you do with scientific data it is still a choice.

Christianity is a choice as well and is based on works of the Spirit. It consists of feelings, attraction, desires, wants but all tempered by spiritual understanding. This has even more scientific data than homosexuality for support.
Care to share some of this scientific evidence for god? I wasn't aware of any such evidence. I was, however, aware of quite a lot of evidence that homosexuality was biologically programmed. If you're going to make very strong claims that contradict prevailing beliefs people have, you may want to support them if you want to convince anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 02:39 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Care to share some of this scientific evidence for god? I wasn't aware of any such evidence. I was, however, aware of quite a lot of evidence that homosexuality was biologically programmed. If you're going to make very strong claims that contradict prevailing beliefs people have, you may want to support them if you want to convince anyone.
If you choose this kind of logic, we are all biologically programmed. There are a lot of people into some really scary stuff.
Just sayin

Old 09-28-2012, 04:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
If you choose this kind of logic, we are all biologically programmed. There are a lot of people into some really scary stuff.
Being "into" specific ACTS is not biologically programmed; being attracted in a general way to a gender is. Do you seriously think 3-5% of the population spontaneously "decided" to be members of a despised group with fewer civil protections, inability to marry the person they love, chance of getting fired/kicked out of the house/beatne up simply for existing, and a MUCH smaller dating pool...there is no rationale why anybody, let alone millions, in every culture and every country, would "choose" this. This is not the same as having particular "kinks" for specific activities. Besides, most "activities" can be done with either a male or a female, but most people who are "into" that activity are primarily interested in doing it with one or the other (unless thy are bisexual).

Old 09-28-2012, 04:18 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Being "into" specific ACTS is not biologically programmed; being attracted in a general way to a gender is. Do you seriously think 3-5% of the population spontaneously "decided" to be members of a despised group with fewer civil protections, inability to marry the person they love, chance of getting fired/kicked out of the house/beatne up simply for existing, and a MUCH smaller dating pool...there is no rationale why anybody, let alone millions, in every culture and every country, would "choose" this. This is not the same as having particular "kinks" for specific activities. Besides, most "activities" can be done with either a male or a female, but most people who are "into" that activity are primarily interested in doing it with one or the other (unless thy are bisexual).
This is purely a question. Per your explanation, would pedifiles not fit this profile?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:05 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
This is purely a question. Per your explanation, would pedifiles not fit this profile?
Pedophilia is considered a psychiatric disorder, not an orientation...two very different things.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:10 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I agree that these men are extremist but lets look at this from a different perspective;

Homosexuality is based on a faith in feelings, attraction, desires, wants, according to the Bible it is based on the works of the flesh. This makes it a choice and I don't care how much twisting and turning you do with scientific data it is still a choice.

Christianity is a choice as well and is based on works of the Spirit. It consists of feelings, attraction, desires, wants but all tempered by spiritual understanding. This has even more scientific data than homosexuality for support.

These perspectives are based on choices. Do you fight temptation or give into it?

Can you love someone you are not attracted to? Can you have a relationship with someone you are not attracted to?
Wow...I go along each day believing that society is so very enlightened in 2012, then I read something like this and realize that there is still a huge amount of ignorance in 2012. Thank you for bringing me back to reality.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Quote:
Peofiles can marry, Just this week a 12 year old abducted thinking she was going to marry her abductor. In two years she would have been able to in South Carolina there legal age is 14 for girls
Affidavit: 12-year-old girl found in Florida planned to marry ab - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Here in NC a peodphile can marry a 16 year old.

There rights are not being denied, where law biding gay citizens is.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Just be glad that the fundie theist don't get to vote on the more extreme views of their reference book. Marriage at age 10, and of course incest between fathers and his daughters.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 09-28-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 09:48 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,392,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Wow...I go along each day believing that society is so very enlightened in 2012, then I read something like this and realize that there is still a huge amount of ignorance in 2012. Thank you for bringing me back to reality.
made me laugh. So true... For the record I've been with the same person for 4 years who is 19 years older than me... Nothing strange about it. We look like a great fit... Same interest, same goals, etc. we don't even look that far apart in age. Happy as could be in my fair city of Charlotte . Love how inclusive CLT is.

Sad not all North Carolinians get to feel the same way. Love our state. Shame this amendment scarred us as a homophobic backwater. I can honestly say the biggest emotion I feel about this is embarrassment. So embarrassed that this thing got passed.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 09-28-2012 at 09:58 PM..

Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 PM

4,590 posts, read 6,422,669 times
If you really want to do something for the cause of equality, donate to the marriage equality movements in Washington, Maine, Maryland, and Minnesota. It is important that we win at the ballot box at these state and make a progressive statement that no more will the people tolerate bigotry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina