Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
May I ask an honest question as kindly as I can possibly do so? Please read this as if I'm talking quietly and respectfully.

Civil unions or marriages for gay couples. Should the same rationale be used for siblings being married or to justify polygamy?

I had a difficult time trying to understand your post, but I think I understand it now.

The difference is you don't have a certain group of people being able to engage in polygamous nor incest unions. There are Civil Unions and certain people are being discriminated against based on their sexuality. Just as it used to be on skin color, also.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
Quote:
May I ask an honest question as kindly as I can possibly do so? Please read this as if I'm talking quietly and respectfully.

Civil unions or marriages for gay couples. Should the same rationale be used for siblings being married or to justify polygamy?

lol....I love those questions.
"So if gays can get married, are we going to allow people to marry goats?"
"So if gays can get married, are we also going to allow grownups to marry 5 year olds?"

Seriously...what consenting adults do doesn't bother me, poligamy doesn't bother me....no one is talking about incest here.
First cousins can marry in NC, but gays can't marry? what's wrong with THAT picture?

Old 06-04-2012, 01:02 PM

40 posts, read 60,752 times
HILARIOUS! Jon Stewart Opens Up A Can O’ Whoop Ass On Bigots In North Carolina | MoveOn.Org

Dr. Daniel Heimbach, (Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary): "If marriage is radically redefined as being just a way of affirming private feelings of loving attraction, then equality will require allowing people who love dogs to marry dogs, and people who love ice cream to marry ice cream."

Jon Stewart: "Yes, that's exactly right. You know, I realized now that that's not a bald head, that's a solar panel for a Dumb*** Machine. By the way, I just want to ask very quickly--Does you wife know that you can't see the difference between a consensual love that leads to matrimony and the enjoyment you get from a Dairy Queen Blizzard?"

Old 06-04-2012, 06:12 PM

351 posts, read 632,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
lol....I love those questions.
"So if gays can get married, are we going to allow people to marry goats?"
"So if gays can get married, are we also going to allow grownups to marry 5 year olds?"

Seriously...what consenting adults do doesn't bother me, poligamy doesn't bother me....no one is talking about incest here.
First cousins can marry in NC, but gays can't marry? what's wrong with THAT picture?
Your first two "question" examples to answer my post don't compare to my original question. That's not two consenting adults in either example so you look desperate in your attempt to answer me.

No one is talking about incest but if they are consenting adults, you should be fighting for their rights. Would you favor allowing a brother and sister to marry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannatour View Post
HILARIOUS! Jon Stewart Opens Up A Can O’ Whoop Ass On Bigots In North Carolina | MoveOn.Org

Dr. Daniel Heimbach, (Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary): "If marriage is radically redefined as being just a way of affirming private feelings of loving attraction, then equality will require allowing people who love dogs to marry dogs, and people who love ice cream to marry ice cream."

Jon Stewart: "Yes, that's exactly right. You know, I realized now that that's not a bald head, that's a solar panel for a Dumb*** Machine. By the way, I just want to ask very quickly--Does you wife know that you can't see the difference between a consensual love that leads to matrimony and the enjoyment you get from a Dairy Queen Blizzard?"
Just like so many who can't really give a good answer, Stewart skews the situation by making fun of the man and getting a bunch of big laughs. He looks like a hero to the pro-gay marriage side but if anything, just strengthens the sentiment of the opposition.

Real easy to crack on a man in a recorded video. That Stewart's a real quick-witted character.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Your first two "question" examples to answer my post don't compare to my original question. That's not two consenting adults in either example so you look desperate in your attempt to answer me.
Just discussing the topic, no desperation here, you aren't significant.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:55 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times
Default the people voted

If the people voted and government is for "We the people" why is this being brought up in this manner? It seems this is to not let the issue go and try to stir up more emotions even though the very people in the state said that they wanted the amendment and voted for it.

If we are not going to at least follow the voting results then we are simply becoming a lawless nation.

There are plenty of issues that people will disagree on but when it is put to a vote with the people, that is the best way for the decision to be made. Remember "We the People"

Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
...but when it is put to a vote with the people, that is the best way for the decision to be made.
That's called "mob rule" and is the absolute WORST way for broad decisions to be made.

The FF completely got this point and devised a rather good system of representative government
and even restricted which people could vote for those representatives.

Based on the ill informed comments and bigoted views voiced so frequently in this thread
I'm more and more inclined to see some of those more restrictive voting rules re-established.
Can you demonstrate that you have more qualification to vote than merely be breathing when you show up?

Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
If the people voted and government is for "We the people" why is this being brought up in this manner? It seems this is to not let the issue go and try to stir up more emotions even though the very people in the state said that they wanted the amendment and voted for it.

If we are not going to at least follow the voting results then we are simply becoming a lawless nation.

There are plenty of issues that people will disagree on but when it is put to a vote with the people, that is the best way for the decision to be made. Remember "We the People"
The "people" voted based on religious views...you can't expect everyone to live by the beliefs of one group. It's not constitutional.

Anyway, saw this video today on my FB feed....it's the protest in Newton.
I love how mean the so called "Christians" are.

Christian Militants Bully Supporters of Peace Protest - YouTube

Old 06-05-2012, 12:44 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:

There are some things, particularly dealing with the rights of minorities or those without a voice, that cannot be put to majority-rule vote because they would NEVER pass.

Do you think any Southern state would have abolished slavery it if had been put to a popular (white-only) vote?

Do you think women would have ever gained the right to vote if it had been put to (all-male) vote?

"Tyranny of the majority" is specifically warned against in early founding documents of this country.

It is not a "lawless nation" to use legislative and judicial means to protect minorities from tyranny of the maojrity--that is in fact the very reason our government is set up in a 3-pronged system. You might be happier in a place where everything is done strictly by majority rule--I just hope you don't ever find yourself on the minority side of anthing.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:36 PM

351 posts, read 632,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Just discussing the topic, no desperation here, you aren't significant.
Not to you.

But still waiting for a better answer to my earlier post. I guess we'll ignore it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina