U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM
 
2 posts, read 17,761 times
Reputation: 11
Default North Carolina Low Crime Rates

How does NC keep crime rates so low compared to other places like every other state in the south has atleast 1 really high crime city like tn has memphis ga has atlanta mississippi has jackson florida got a couple of cities even SC got 1. None of the cities in NC have high murder rates an the violent crime rates arent that high im talking about cities Fayetteville,Durham for example not small towns. I know its people from more sheltered backgrounds and people who never been anywhere else who think crime everywhere and is bad here but its not any explanations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2012, 05:52 AM
 
1,355 posts, read 1,136,332 times
Reputation: 1152
Crime in Charlotte will spike again after the DNC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 05:06 AM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,365,827 times
Reputation: 1925
I'd say NC's annexation laws have a lot to do with it. It's keeps more money/less crime overall within city limits. Versus other large cities where a big part of the population within city belongs to those who can't afford to move out of it. In NC the "city" follows you. At least it did. I honestly am not 100% schooled up on the recent changes to the annexation laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
6,880 posts, read 6,673,495 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by King2020 View Post
How does NC keep crime rates so low compared to other places like every other state in the south
I wonder if they are just not reporting every incident. Or it could be a statistical quirk, not efficiency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 08:23 PM
 
2 posts, read 17,761 times
Reputation: 11
I wonder about that too cause if you look at the crime rates for cities here they all have around the same crime numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 AM
 
Location: North Carolina
102 posts, read 167,632 times
Reputation: 208
Have you been to Charlotte lately? I love that city, but the crime rate there is probably the highest in the state. Check out this website and see for yourself:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The following are 2011 statistics:
In North Carolina, the violent crime rate is 3.63 per 1,000 residents. In Charlotte, the violent crime rate is 5.81 per 1,000 residents. In North Carolina, the property crime rate is 34.47 per 1,000 residents. In Charlotte, the property crime rate is 41.21 per 1,000 residents. In North Carolina, there are an average of 6 crimes per square mile. In Charlotte, there are an average of 91 crimes per square mile.

You should also check out this website. It gives a very interesting illustration of the number of crimes in Charlotte.
Charlotte, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Charlotte - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here

Last edited by Yac; 05-29-2012 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2012, 01:33 PM
 
2,564 posts, read 2,324,836 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRNStudent View Post
Have you been to Charlotte lately? I love that city, but the crime rate there is probably the highest in the state. Check out this website and see for yourself:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The following are 2011 statistics:
In North Carolina, the violent crime rate is 3.63 per 1,000 residents. In Charlotte, the violent crime rate is 5.81 per 1,000 residents. In North Carolina, the property crime rate is 34.47 per 1,000 residents. In Charlotte, the property crime rate is 41.21 per 1,000 residents. In North Carolina, there are an average of 6 crimes per square mile. In Charlotte, there are an average of 91 crimes per square mile.

You should also check out this website. It gives a very interesting illustration of the number of crimes in Charlotte.
Charlotte, NC Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Charlotte - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Those stats just show Mecklenburg as slightly above average in the crime department as far as NC goes. Meck is on the higher side compared to other NC counties, but the highest rates are in New Hanover, Durham, and particularly the rural counties in the eastern part of the state. For example, Richmond and Robeson County had more than 7,000 crimes per 100,000 residents while Meck had a little less than 5,000 crimes per 100,000.

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/85af28c4...l-Summary.aspx

This: "In North Carolina, there are an average of 6 crimes per square mile. In Charlotte, there are an average of 91 crimes per square mile," is a completely useless and misleading statistic because you're averaging farmland with less than 10 people per square mile with cities like Charlotte with 1,000 people per square mile.

As far as the crime rates go, it's really a poverty thing. The South has more crime because there is more poverty. North Carolina is less poor than other Southern states (except Virginia, which has a MUCH lower overall crime rate as well as a lower poverty rate)

Last edited by Yac; 05-29-2012 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 09:09 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
7,912 posts, read 9,373,550 times
Reputation: 5987
From the aforementioned link to the statistics, here's a quick look at the Index Crime Rate for the core counties of NC's largest Metro areas (2010)...ordered from highest rate to lowest. Rates above the state average are in Red while the ones lower are in Green.
  1. Cumberland (Fayetteville): 6331.9
  2. Durham (Durham-Chapel HIl): 5582.5
  3. Forsyth (Winston-Salem): 5461.0
  4. New Hanover (Wilmington): 5228.2
  5. Mecklenburg (Charlotte): 4980.3
  6. Guilford (Greensboro-High Point): 4835.1
  7. Buncombe (Asheville): 2926.2
  8. Wake (Raleigh-Cary): 2836.6
The overall crime rate index for NC is 3955.7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
6,880 posts, read 6,673,495 times
Reputation: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
As far as the crime rates go, it's really a poverty thing. The South has more crime because there is more poverty. North Carolina is less poor than other Southern states (except Virginia, which has a MUCH lower overall crime rate as well as a lower poverty rate)
I think this is the best explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,296 posts, read 2,713,085 times
Reputation: 1788
And then there are things like a house getting shot a couple times but being wrote up as vandalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top