Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 PM

197 posts, read 299,437 times

Advertisements

Beyond " legal rights" or anything else this is about the erosion of personal freedoms , the Fundies aften use the tactic of " but so and so will marry their dog next what's to stop that."..........ok Fundies , what Freedom will you come after next once you get over your obsession with what consenting adults do in their own bedrooms.

You have already made attempts to control what we read , the media , the educational system etc.etc........

Now how does that infliction upon the populace of YOUR edicts and stances square with the issue of FREE WILL?

Again , there are those of us whom you will not impose your edicts upon. Not ever.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 PM

963 posts, read 2,410,643 times
Native. Born and bred, not an outsider, nor is my family, whose roots in Mecklenburg, Stanly, Chatham Counties (in NC), and in Saluda and York Counties (in SC) run back well into the era of slavery, to bring up yet another injustice that didn't end smoothly. I have seen or been to at least 85 or 90 of this state's counties. I'd also note I grew up in the church, and Baptist at that. I have my beliefs. Nativism has nothing to do with anything here - people are people, and only a human dipstick thinks that being born in - oh - Sampson County, NC makes one superior, or inferior to being born in - say - Kings County, CA, both of which lean in a similar direction. This amendment is disgusting and bigoted. Even when Jim Crow was law, it wasn't part of the constitution - it was law, which was deemed to be unconstitutional. Had it been up for a vote (versus the courts), it would likely still be standing.

Millions and millions of people can be wrong. They've been wrong before.

It's also funny that the party of less government would stick their noses into someone else's bedrooms as a cynical divide-and-conquer tactic in an election year. Meanwhile, underpaid teachers, crumbling and outdated infrastructure (been on ever-crowded I-95 recently, or I-85 between Lexington and Concord?), or mental health funding do not even register as a blip. I wonder how much throwing this onto the ballot cost? I've personally been through a phenomenal battle against cancer at UNC Hospitals, and I can see uphand and close what kind of effect budget cuts around university campuses has, or how expensive uninsured people are when they finally get sick (if you can't afford insurance, you wait, until something monstrous hits you). This is not a fight we should be having now. So what's more important, really? Politics and ideology over people, especially if those people are a minority, or have faced some kind of discrimination? Let's look at (at different points during the 20th century alone) Germany, Cambodia, Russia, and China and see where that kind of slavish devotion to an ideology ripped from its' roots and twisted to serve a scripted, biased agenda got them. And of course, there - again - lies the body of Jim Crow, who is clearly dead but who I also suspect has not completely rotted into worm food.

I recall, back in the 1980s, a great quote from Paul Simon (the musician, not the politician): "If you're getting your politics from your turntable, you are clearly a moron." Something similar is going on here. If you are getting your politics from your pulpit, you're not doing so well either - I can clearly remember the pastor of my paternal grandmother's church, who was a fall-down-stupid drunk 6 out of 7 days a week (Let's make being severely alcoholic a violation of the state's constitution. It DESTROYS families, can kill you fairly swiftly, and no one made you decide to take that first drink. Of course there is a genetic component, but there are genetic components to a great many things, many of which are far less harmful than rampaging addiction.) having witnessed that spectacle personally on more occasions I could count. Thus, not having spoken to God eye-to-eye, I won't speak for God, but as God gave us all brains, I'd suspect we were also handed the ability to think, reason, and intellectually evolve for very good reasons. I certainly expect it from who I vote for, or what I vote for.

Last edited by davidals; 05-30-2012 at 02:35 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 07:50 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,424,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooresboro View Post
Us native North Carolinians have been more than welcoming to all the transplants moving here, but it's about time we start putting our foot down when you come to our home state and try to change everything we believe in and stand for.

Did you really expect us to vote in favor of gay marriage?
As a native North Carolinian, I apologize for the expressions of bigoted ignoramuses.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:39 AM

197 posts, read 299,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
Education is handed out by man. However wisdom is a gift and only learned through life and experiences.

I think you could use a degree!

And the same year of education , repeated over and over ad nauseum throughout life is NOT " wisdom".

Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaOnMyMind View Post
As a Christian, I believe this institution was ordained by the Creator for one man and one woman. Anything else is a perversion of the Creator's intention and is a sin according to my beliefs as a Christian.
That's fine. Don't marry someone of the same sex. Live your life according to those beliefs that you hold as a Christian. But you have to respect that others do not have the same beliefs as you. Why should they be forced to live according to your particular belief system?

Quote:
Its incredible how callous and d-sensitized we have become to immorality.
So...if you deem something to be "immoral" - it is an absolute and no one can have a differing opinion that is just as valid. Got it. I'm so glad to meet the person who is the ultimate authority on morality.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with phobias or hatred which is the classic liberal line.
Having beliefs such as you do is not hateful.. Wanting to punish, persecute or in some way devalue people just because they do not believe the same way you do is a little hateful. And I tend to be more conservative on a majority of life issues and certainly do not identify myself as a "liberal". But slapping labels like "liberal" and "conservative" is a good way to make an argument when one has a lack of actual, valid points.

Quote:
deviant and self destructive life style to the present and eternal detriment of the one who is participating in the gay lifestyle.
The only present detriment to being gay seems to be the fact that gay people have to fight to be considered equal just because of their sexual orientation.

Quote:
Its astonishing how people think they are so smart and yet they dont have a clue of the meaning and purpose of their very existence.
yes...it is, "astonishing how people think they are so smart and yet they dont have a clue"

Quote:
Homosexuality is a sin according to the Bible which we as Christians believe is the word of God.
Again...that's all well and good for you, and if you believe that - cool deal. But not everyone shares your beliefs. I certainly do not believe that the bible is the word of god. You live your life, I'll live mine. I won't tell you how to live your personal life and I will thank you to do the same.

Quote:
Jesus Christ loves the homosexual just as much as the heterosexual...
So...Jesus was bi?

Quote:
All sexual sin, whether it be homosexuality, or fornication and adultery committed by heterosexuals is sin to God. Sin degrades and defiles the sinner....
Fornication can be fun. I usually don't feel degraded afterwards.

Quote:
Why do you believe what you believe? The simple answer is you only have your opinion and its not any better than someone else's.
But when people act in such a way that forces those with different "opinions" to live according to your "opinions" - you are essentially saying that your "opinion" is "better" than others.

Quote:
We all get to decide what we think is right or wrong. If you object then guess what? You are narrow minded and hateful and ignorant and all those nasty things you call those who oppose same sex.
You are missing a key point which has been made many times: The "nasty things" being said have nothing to do with one's set of beliefs, but rather on actions taken to force them upon others. If you don't approve of homosexual behavior - fine. You are entitled to hold that belief and live your life accordingly. No issue there. But if you actively seek to punish those who believe differently than you (be it via legislation or whatever else), that than is the behavior of a bigot.

Let's flip the issue. What if people were actively trying to make the practice of your religion prohibited? Would they be bigots? Of course, and I would not hesitate to call them out on it.

Quote:
Furthermore, only a man and a woman can procreate and sexual intercourse requires both sexes and both male and female reproductive organs to pull it off.
Hehehe...you said "pull it off"

What about a man and a woman who are biologically unable to procreate? Is something wrong with them as well?

Also - if the basis of your argument is the ability to procreate, then I assume that you are cool with polyamourous relationships. After all, if a man has three wives, he can procreate three times as much as the dude with only one wife. But I digress...

Quote:
I dont think homosexuality is genetic, but a learned behavior that is nurture not nature caused.
Please elaborate. Some citations to empirical evidence to back up this claim would help.

Quote:
People have been brain washed into believing that they are born this way when in reality they are a product of their environment very much like those who grow up in a home where there is alcoholism, violence, bigotry and they grow up to become an alcoholic, a gang banger, an anti-Semite.
Or a Christian.

Scaring little kids with a naked man nailed to a cross and telling them they will burn in hell if they sin sounds like some pretty harsh brainwashing to me.

Quote:
I must admit that I am appalled at how many misguided people are pro same sex marriage. There are a couple of scriptures that come to mind.
Hold up a second. Up above did you not say that, "you only have your opinion and its not any better than someone else's"?

You did...but now you are "appalled" at those who believe differently than you? And refer to them as "misguided"?

Apparently your line about one's opinion not being superior to another's was a bunch of hooey.

Quote:
I also believe that America's decline is attributed to our moral and spiritual decline.
Once again...let's see some real evidence to back this claim up. Oh...that's right, when it comes to god and religion, empirical data can get tossed out the window.

Quote:
...the further we will descend into the abyss.
We're all going to wind up in a nightclub in Sunnyvale, CA? I've been there. It was an ok place.

Quote:
Lets not become the next Sodom and Gomorrah. Let's remember what happened to them.
And let's not forget about the Cat in the Hat. He came back

Old 05-31-2012, 12:21 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Us native North Carolinians have been more than welcoming to all the transplants moving here, but it's about time we start putting our foot down when you come to our home state and try to change everything we believe in and stand for.

Dear Transplants,

I don't know where Mooresboro is, or even what it is, but please try to understand the majority of our state is rural and that their ways stay outside of our urban centers. We do not share their mentality and as always your welcome in our cities (but apparently not the rural parts.)

- From a Charlotte Native (which is still a North Carolina Native....)

Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Dear Transplants,

I don't know where Mooresboro is, or even what it is, but please try to understand the majority of our state is rural and that their ways stay outside of our urban centers. We do not share their mentality and as always your welcome in our cities (but apparently not the rural parts.)

Hi Charlotte 485,

Do yourself a huge favor & read his previous threads. Mooresboro lives out in Mooresboro & is male. I suspect that he's one of those charming fellows that you find in Shelby who've come into "the big city" wearing their Sunday best Burns HS paraphenalia.

I promise you that you'll be entertained.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:52 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Dear Transplants,

LOL, I had to do a google search for Mooresboro too when this thread first opened. Though I've never been there, I doubt that all of Mooresboro (there are 300 or so other folks in that town) agrees with the OP.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Here are four of the arguments they used:
1) First, judges claimed that marriage belonged under the control of the states rather than the federal government.
2) Second, they began to define and label all interracial relationships (even longstanding, deeply committed ones) as illicit sex rather than marriage.
3) Third, they insisted that interracial marriage was contrary to God's will, and
4) Fourth, they declared, over and over again, that interracial marriage was somehow "unnatural."
On this fourth point--the supposed "unnaturality" of interracial marriage--judges formed a virtual chorus. Here, for example, is the declaration that the Supreme Court of Virginia used to invalidate a marriage between a black man and a white woman in 1878:
The purity of public morals," the court declared, "the moral and physical development of both races….require that they should be kept distinct and separate… that connections and alliances so unnatural that God and nature seem to forbid them, should be prohibited by positive law, and be subject to no evasion.
The fifth, and final, argument judges would use to justify miscegenation law was undoubtedly the most important; it used these claims that interracial marriage was unnatural and immoral to find a way around the Fourteenth Amendment's guarantee of "equal protection under the laws." How did judges do this? They insisted that because miscegenation laws punished both the black and white partners to an interracial marriage, they affected blacks and whites "equally." This argument, which is usually called the equal application claim, was hammered out in state supreme courts in the late 1870s, endorsed by the United States Supreme Court in 1882, and would be repeated by judges for the next 85 years.
History News Network

Sound familiar?

Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:

There is no "us" in your statement, for many natives don't embrace the backward thinking of "that's the way we've always dun it" which includes the way-back book of ignorance the bible represents. Fortunately seats of ignorance like Morrosboro (pop 300 - 400) don't represent me in anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina