Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 AM

40 posts, read 177,576 times

Advertisements

Us native North Carolinians have been more than welcoming to all the transplants moving here, but it's about time we start putting our foot down when you come to our home state and try to change everything we believe in and stand for.

Did you really expect us to vote in favor of gay marriage?

Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooresboro View Post
Us native North Carolinians have been more than welcoming to all the transplants moving here, but it's about time we start putting our foot down when you come to our home state and try to change everything we believe in and stand for.

Mooresboro, You did not vote against gay marriage. The state cannot tell churches what to do & the Episcopal church has been doing gay marriages for decades. Civil marriage for homosexuals was already illegal.

You did vote to deny civil unions. You also voted to deny recognition of commonlaw marriages from other states. They are heterosexual. You also voted to deny recognition of domestic partnerships. Domestic partnerships can be gay or heterosexual. This group also includes elderly folks who can not marry because of social security laws.

No, I didn't expect it to pass in Cleveland County because of all of the rural areas. I had a bad feeling when the native woman behind me in the line to vote, who was vehemently against the amendment, started commenting on the people who she saw & knew who were there to vote for the first time.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:11 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Another ill-informed voter...the most dangerous thing a society can have. Voting against amendment one was not voting for gay marriage. Also it sounds like from the posters on here and from friends and old neighbors of mine that it was certainly not only transplants who were against this ridiculous government overreach.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,196,373 times
Quote:

NC Born and Bred. I believe in Freedom. For everyone to pursue life and liberty.

To boil down what I "stand for" to an amendment limiting the civil rights of otherwise law-abiding and productive members of society ain't something this southern man puts much stock in.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Another ill-informed voter...the most dangerous thing a society can have. Voting against amendment one was not voting for gay marriage. Also it sounds like from the posters on here and from friends and old neighbors of mine that it was certainly not only transplants who were against this ridiculous government overreach.
One of the men who cowrote this legal abomination came out against it, when he realized what it really did.

The Republicans who took over the legislature in 2010 swore that they wanted to help bring in jobs. This crap is how they spend their time. They need to be voted out. This was nothing more than smoke & mirrors to divert attention from the fact that they have done nothing about the job situation.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
NC Born and Bred. I believe in Freedom. For everyone to pursue life and liberty.

To boil down what I "stand for" to an amendment limiting the civil rights of otherwise law-abiding and productive members of society ain't something this southern man puts much stock in.

Me too.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:43 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
What non-biblical reasons do you have to deny people the right to marry?

Old 05-25-2012, 12:25 PM

82 posts, read 176,222 times
Quote:

As a native North Carolinian myself, I agree we need to put our foot down! We need to make it known to people like you that hate and religious based bigotry against any fellow human being is not going to be tolerated in any shape, form or legislation. If you think that the only gay people living here are transplants, then you couldn't be more wrong. There are gay people everywhere, and most are just quietly living their lives all around you..even in YOUR hometown.

Despite what television and movies might show you, most don't want to prance half-naked down your street in a pride parade, or stick a rainbow sticker on your car or fly a flag over your house. The reality is they simply want the same rights as everyone else. Who are you to decide otherwise?

Try opening your mind for a change and stop letting someone else do your thinking for you.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:

You really make natives look stupid with comments like this. You didn't even know what the hell you were voting for or against

This was NOT a vote FOR gay marriage, it was a vote for bigotry and hate, and proof of stupidity.

Nothing would have changed had this been voted down, no gay marriage.

Albert Einstein didn't know how very correct he was when he said.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

If you are unsure about what Einstein meant, which you probably don't based on your comprehension about what you were voting for, ask someone that actually finished high school to explain it to you.

Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 PM

40 posts, read 177,576 times

Isn't it obvious to you all that the majority of North Carolinian's don't want gay marriage, it's just that simple...

The people of North Carolina have spoken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina