Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:15 PM

13 posts, read 77,445 times

Advertisements

Hey Jersey guy,

I know what your saying, but I have the South in my heart. My granparents lived there and I use to come every summer. I must admit I miss it very much, and Jersey to me has changed dramaticly.

Enjoy your trip back

Last edited by yonniepoos; 09-20-2006 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: typos lol...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 09:23 PM

48 posts, read 153,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonniepoos View Post
Hey Jersey guy,

I know what your saying, but I have the South in my heart. My granparents lived there and I use to come every summer. I must admit I miss it very much, and Jersey to me has changed dramaticly.

Enjoy your trip back
Fair enough. Im just the opposite. North Jersey/NYC is in my heart.

Anyway, hope everything works out for ya.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:06 PM

61 posts, read 240,753 times
Yet another Jersey boy here. Moved to Reidsville, NC last year from Whiteouse Station (Hunterdon County). I am about 15 minutes outside of Greensboro in Rockingham County. Three of my neighbors are from NJ.....Howell Township and Tenafly.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:09 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,907,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BOUNCER View Post
Fair enough. Im just the opposite. North Jersey/NYC is in my heart.

Anyway, hope everything works out for ya.

Hope everything works out for you too, these two threads reminded me of the old saying you can take the boy/girl out of the city but can't take the city out of the boy/girl

Old 09-24-2006, 07:13 PM

24 posts, read 62,202 times
I grew up in Tenafly, NJ. It was a great place to grow up. Best schools, close to NYC. I guess everyone agrees, because I can't even afford to buy a home in my hometown. I'm gonna make the move down to Chalotte area soon. Which area would be best for a NJ transplant?

Old 09-24-2006, 07:25 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times
To me the Charlotte area in general is just grand!

I am biased to the Lake/Huntersville area as this is where I grew up.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:27 PM

13 posts, read 77,445 times
I sure wish I knew Erick,

I'm researching for myself now, I'm going to move also in Spring. I'm looking to some areas outside of Charlotte though. All what you are looking for depends on how much you want to spend on your home, and your style, family things like that.

good luck though with your new move

Old 09-25-2006, 06:11 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,680 times
Default Union County

Hi there. My family and I recently relocated to NC from CT for very similar reasons. We moved to union county. Union County Has some of the best schools, reasonably priced homes, lower crime rate than charlotte, and still close enough to commute there. We live in Indian trail and hubby commutes to uptown and it takes him 35 minutes. The only town in Union County with schools that are not very good is Monroe, But you can check them out at greatschools.net. I wish you and your family luck and happiness in your move.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:58 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,954 times
Default Monroe schools

I keep reading on this forum about Monroe schools being "not very good" or the "worse in Union County." I sure do wish that someone taking the time to note this would clarify. Are they THAT bad? I am beginning to get the impression that the bad wrap is undeserved and people are only perpetuating what they've heard or been told by someone else.

Does anyone here actually live in Monroe? Have children whom have gone through the school system?

I've looked at Great Schools dot net, and read the information regarding the 10 public elementary schools listed and all I found were high reviews from parents and decent test scores. I have not looked at the middle or high schools yet.

Furthermore, test scores never tell a complete story. There is a lot to be said about parental involvement when it comes to whether or not your child will excel. Additionally, one "bad" school does not contaminate the entire district. There are many factors, like a high population of students whose first language is not English, that will lower test scores overall. That doesn't mean that the children aren't learning, or the teachers aren't caring or the environment is unsafe or unhealthy.

Since I am clearly so ignorant to what people believe is going on in Monroe schools, I am open to enlightenment.

SL

Old 09-25-2006, 05:54 PM

531 posts, read 2,011,680 times
I used greatschools.net for test scores and asjed several people I know about their experiences. All schools have a teacher that is not perfect, but I have heard just a few too many complaints about several of the monroe schools that made me look to move away from them.

I did visit 3 schools in Monroe prior to moving here to see for myself. I also visited 2 schools in Indian Trail and 1 in Weddington. The difference was evident just by walking through the doors. I was even able to walk completely threw 2 schools in Monroe before I was even asked who I was. (safety issue there) At Walter Bickett I personally saw 1 teacher ask a child if she could be any more stupid. Sorry if this upsets you, but I did not feel that it would be a good fit for me or my child. I do sincerely hope that my experiences there were isolated, but between test scores, personal observations, and other peoples input it was an eay choice to go away from Monroe.

My child attends school in Indian Trail and is doing wonderfully. He has been given every chance to succeed with positive encouragement. The school is kept very clean. The staff is friendly and courteous. The teachers are caring. These are the qualities I thought Monroe lacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina