Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Ilion, NY View Post
What does one consider a cultural vacuum? A Lack of Arts?, theater, Music,? I thought culture was dependent where you go..Maybe we have confused Culture with Diversity.
Wait! Culture is like good yogurt...all mixed up and delicious when taken in. Kidding aside, there is culture everywhere it is dependent on what type and how much you want.

I've been to San Diego. I's great, but expensive. The overall package, cost of living aside, you won't find anywhere. It's a unique beast. In general, when people from larger areas complain about culture, they are talking about concerts, theater, and museums. San Diego has thier quirky farmer's market and "salt life" you won't find in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
I don't want to move to NC, but my ex moved there with our kids. It's not my kind of place, but what else am I supposed to do? I promise, I won't be a whiner, tho Just suck it up until they're 18 and I can book it for CO, TX, or CA!

Old 03-06-2013, 06:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
It seems that each day there are new threads about people relocating to North Carolina. I do not understand why. I am a transplant myself

Quote:
I am just honestly confused as to why so many are coming this way with hopes that the streets are made out of gold.
i don't know, why did you move here?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:15 AM

18 posts, read 44,391 times
O.K. everyone. Let"s hear why so many have relocated to North Carolina.
1.) Where you moved from
2.) Why.
3.) What has happened since you relocated.
It would be interesting to find out what our reasons are.
In fact, just yesterday, here in Ilion, NY i had an opportunity to speak to a gentleman about Asheville, He told me when his daughters left here some years ago they went to Asheville, saying they would never come back here. He himself will retire there. I would also appreciate to hear from former upstate New Yorkers!
Thanks.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:30 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In Ilion, NY View Post
Let"s hear why so many have relocated to North Carolina.
oi. Let's not.

Most recent moves are mostly about LEAVING somewhere else rather than coming to NC...
with most of that being about either income (job loss) or expenses (prices and taxes).

If they could have met that income/expense balance where they're from almost everyone would
have happily stayed right where they are from. Most moved to NC (vs SC or FL) by default...
proximity to I-95 (the road home) being the most common denominator.

A few moved without these considerations. Most of them are retired and/or wealthy.

hth

Old 03-06-2013, 02:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Got this off the internet today. Maybe it can shed some light on why at least a few people move here every month.

New Building Permits/Privilege Licenses
Issued in Wake Forest, NC from January through February 2013.

The Compounding Shoppe & Pharmacy, 2001 S. Main St.
Crownover Green, LLC, 9105 Linslade Way
Prostar Management, 12339 Wake Union Church Road, Suite 108
Carolina Food Gardens, 9900 Calados Dr.
Stay Frosty Tactical, LLC, 2513 Burlington Mills Road
Sheetz, 1895 S. Franklin St.
Yolita's Lil Angels Daycare, 1105 Chilmark Ave.
Tan U, 3325 Rogers Road, Suite 106
Pathway to Wellness, 3211 Rogers Road, Suite 138
Life Balance Family Counseling, PLLC, 10520 Ligon Mill Road, Suite 100-F
Thrive Nutrition Performance, 3325 Rogers Road, Suite 116
Decibel Management, LLC, 2717 Leighton Ridge Dr.
Backsplashes Unlimited, 401 Wait Ave.
Massage Destination, 3325 Rogers Road, Suite 102
Charter Financial Services, 137 S. White St.
Trendsetters Workplace Wellness, 6513 Ridgemount St.
1800 Bunkbed - Wake Forest, 805 Old Ash Court
Design House Flooring, LLC, 12281 Capital Blvd.
Zon Furniture Restoration, 3129 Heritage Trade Dr. - Suite 100
Elizabeth's, 107 S. White St.
Milestone Counseling, 833 Wake Forest Business Park - Suite D
Strong Brains LLC, 4253 Fawn Lily Dr.
The American Store, 430 S. White St.
Wilmington Wireless, 12532 Capital Blvd. - Suite 201-301
Maid 4 U Cleaning Service, 9405 Buggy Run Circle
Gilbarco, Inc., 12335 Wake Union Church Road - Suite 203
My Place, 2108 S. Main St.
Robert's Appliance Services, 1103 Golden Poppy Court
Professional Builders Service, 2801 Connector Dr.
Pristine Green NC, LLC, 8716 Balbirnie Court
Energies Inc., 774 Durham Road
Vitality Chiropractic & Family Wellness, 1241 S. Main St. - Suite 6
Body Bliss Salon & Spa, 10520 Ligon Mill Road - Suite 116 & 120

Old 03-06-2013, 07:00 PM

Wow! what a response!
oi!, I didn't quite think of it that way. But, Still there are people (not all retired and wealthy) who want to move to NC. It would be interesting to hear of their experience, whether good or bad.
And North Raleigh Guy, Sir, I am impressed!
Thank you, both
Ilion

Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 AM

76 posts, read 130,273 times
I think the number one reason people are moving to my homestate is because of the following:

Fed Up: Also known as I can't take the traffic/cost of living/commute/daily grind/Social Darwinism/dog-eat-dog of X city and I'm willing to take my chances on North Carolina because I think the grass is greener on the other side.

Shift in priorities: The city (DC/NY/etc.) has been good to me for X amount of years and now I want to settle down, live a more slow paced life, get married, etc.

Retirement: We want to retire to a place with a better climate, no harsh winters, and a decent amount of activities.

Likes: I like sweet tea, nice people, Southern hospitality, a house and some land, Cheerwine, and grandmas fried chicken (and my grandmas fried chicken makes me wanna cry thinkin about it)

Trust and believe, I sell North Carolina to Washingtonians all the time who are looking to retire. I should make it a full time biz.

Rationale: I know I shouldn't move here without a job but hey, anything is better than (insert current city here)

Overall I think NC sells itself. I always love advertising it. But why people come without a job is beyond me.

Last edited by alysonparsons; 03-08-2013 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention grandmas fried chicken

Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 PM

Thank you, AlysonParsons
We need more Grandmothers who make real fried chicken.
Mine used to make apple and peach pies. homemade bread, canned her own tomatoes, made pickles, chili sauce and elderberry jelly. (and that is only scratching the surface, so I miss that too!) You hit the nail on the head, I believe for most of us who want to relocate to your home state. It carries a lot of memories for us, even if we aren't from there. The South has held on to a great many traditions we only remember up here. We have forgotten those simple , wonderful things.
That is why we like North Carolina.
That is why we are researching the area.
That is why we want to relocate to your homestate.
We are working on it, believe me...
But a job is important.
Thank you!
O.K. anyone else?
Ilion, NY

Old 03-12-2013, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,594 times
Not east of I-95 though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina