Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:10 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times

Advertisements

i dont get it. i just moved to fayetteville, and i love it. sure its no chicago or NYC, but it has plenty of stuff to do and places to go if you just LOOK. museums, theaters, shopping centers, a mall, downtown...theres plenty to do here. i'm not sure why so many people hate this city. big deal, military town. the crime isnt that bad here, worst i've seen so far is two drunk females goin at it. other than that i love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 05:09 AM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,771 times
SSSSHHHHH!!!! Don't let everybody else know that. They love to rag on Fayetteville. It's like the poor redheaded stepchild of NC.

Enjoying your stay in Fayetteville is all about getting out and getting involved and keeping the right company. If you want trouble you can find it if you look hard enough.

IF you got sent here against your will then please try to make the best of it. If you need any ideas just ask.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
I grew up there and I'm glad I'm not there any more, but I have friends who went away for college and then came back to Fayetteville to live. They seem to really like it, but it's not for me. Until recently my mom and dad still lived there and I still have relatives there, so I am well aware of what Fayetteville is like now. Not my cuppa tea, but I hope you enjoy living there.

Last edited by poppydog; 06-03-2012 at 06:49 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 10:43 AM

i do enjoy it. i'm still not sure why so many people don't. would you rather live in some small rinky dink town with no malls or shopping centers, no bars or clubs, just a walmart and gas station? i dont get it. fayetteville is a-ok by me, traffic sucks here though and people drive like asshats. i've lived in 7 states and tons of cities and i'm only 21, and fayetteville isnt bad at all compared to some other places...like little rock? way better than little rock. also better than LA. safer than both LR and LA.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:54 PM

ok, i hate fayetteville now lol. 3 murders in the past 8 hours, 1 of which was off raeford road/us 401... and the other on stricland bridge, i live at the intersection soo....

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-19-2012 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: inappropriate language

Old 06-23-2012, 10:52 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,777,350 times
You've not lived in Fayettehell long enough if you have to ask why all the hate. I spent 8.5 years of my military career there. The only good things I can remember about Fayettehell was if you liked to eat lots of foods, they had virtually any restaurant you wanted. Or if you liked to race automobiles, they had a drag strip on the south side. Or if you were a bible thumper, you had a ton of churches to choose from. And of course if you needed a car (but didn't mind paying the over inflated prices) on top of needing to buy stuff from Wal mart, or if you needed a loan (and didn't mind paying the high interest rates) and also needed some adult entertainment or just wanted to drink at a bar....well as you mentioned it, Fayettehell is your 1 stop for all of that right there along Bragg Blvd.

I also recall Fayettehell was home to tons of traffic, mostly road rage filled people that like you said, couldn't drive to save their lives. I also recall Fayettehell had a real shortage of decent women (most of the "avaliable" ones were the really obese ones or had 5 kids by 3 different "babys daddys"), the only water park was in a nasty lake, if you bought a house in "the 'nam", you were paying out the rear in property taxes, but there's a pawn shop and a loan shark on every corner...the list goes on.

One thing I will say...make sure you lock your car doors in town. I've encountered some real nut jobs in what I thought were ok areas.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,324 times
Exclamation Why many hate Fagotteville/Fort Dragg...here are some reasons why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
i dont get it. i just moved to fayetteville, and i love it. sure its no chicago or NYC, but it has plenty of stuff to do and places to go if you just LOOK. museums, theaters, shopping centers, a mall, downtown...theres plenty to do here. i'm not sure why so many people hate this city. big deal, military town. the crime isnt that bad here, worst i've seen so far is two drunk females goin at it. other than that i love it here.
There are many reasons why many people don't like this town. It's NOT a city, Raleigh is a city, Charlotte is a city; this is a town, a military town and if the military were not here, this town would not even exist.

1. The majority of people here are rude. Yes, rude people can be anywhere, but most expect rudeness in the north, but this is the south, so you'd think rudeness would not be so common, but it truly is.

2. Most people here do not adhere to using any level of common sense. It is the land of the backwards - the most ratchet, vile, lame are considered "Fayetteville Hot".

3. This is a military town with that comes the mentality of hookups, a very high rate of STD's, lots of cheating, adultery and dysfunction. Yes, that can happen anywhere too, but the odds are higher in military and college towns - look it up.

4. The STD rates are high and Fagotteville/Fort Dragg are one of the highest in the state of N.C. And, it's proven - look it up. Many are disillusioned to assume that condoms protect against everything and there are some STD's that men cannot be tested for, because they have not developed tests for them - so the idiotic females that assume military guys are cleaner and safer are blind. Most of them are the main ones that are carriers of STD's and they do NOT even know, because there's no test for it - like HPV.

5. There are limited job industries here - yes, there's the military and medical, but outside of that, in most other industries there are many overqualified candidates having to downgrade just to get a job, if they are trying to remain here.

6. The crime rate is extremely high. I feel safer in DC than I do here. And, all of Fagotteville is the ghetto, some parts have nicer, pricier homes, but it is still the ghetto - all of it.

7. The mentality of most of the people here - between most being rude, there are a lot of users here.

8. There are not any decent places to go - outside of eating, the movies. There are NO non-military museums, there are upscale places to go to mingle and even network. When I first got here and asked where people went to network, some people looked at me like I was an alien. I see and understand now, because this is the ghetto and networking does not happen in the ghetto. Maybe in Raleigh or Charlotte, but definitely NOT here.

9. I now understand what someone told me about the vortex of doom and gloom being Fagotteville. When I first got here someone said this place has the potential to depress you and now I truly understand. I'm out of there in the Fall of 2016. Thank you, Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Be prepared to have your patience tested often dealing with the people here. You will need lots of patience. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:52 PM

983 posts, read 3,987,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneGiven View Post
There are many reasons why many people don't like this town. It's NOT a city, Raleigh is a city, Charlotte is a city; this is a town, a military town and if the military were not here, this town would not even exist.

1. The majority of people here are rude. Yes, rude people can be anywhere, but most expect rudeness in the north, but this is the south, so you'd think rudeness would not be so common, but it truly is.

Majority of people around here I've ever encountered (and I've lived here all of my 44 years) are very polite. Attitude is everything.

2. Most people here do not adhere to using any level of common sense. It is the land of the backwards - the most ratchet, vile, lame are considered "Fayetteville Hot".

Again, doesn't apply to most people I know.

3. This is a military town with that comes the mentality of hookups, a very high rate of STD's, lots of cheating, adultery and dysfunction. Yes, that can happen anywhere too, but the odds are higher in military and college towns - look it up.

Never "hooked up," had a STD, nor does the other stuff apply. Again, it depends on the kind of people you're hanging out with. I don't have friends like that.

4. The STD rates are high and Fagotteville/Fort Dragg are one of the highest in the state of N.C. And, it's proven - look it up. Many are disillusioned to assume that condoms protect against everything and there are some STD's that men cannot be tested for, because they have not developed tests for them - so the idiotic females that assume military guys are cleaner and safer are blind. Most of them are the main ones that are carriers of STD's and they do NOT even know, because there's no test for it - like HPV.

Shouldn't be sleeping around with every Tom, Dick, or Harry anyway.....but again, you can find better friends.

5. There are limited job industries here - yes, there's the military and medical, but outside of that, in most other industries there are many overqualified candidates having to downgrade just to get a job, if they are trying to remain here.

Know lots of people with really good jobs outside of the military & medical fields.

6. The crime rate is extremely high. I feel safer in DC than I do here. And, all of Fagotteville is the ghetto, some parts have nicer, pricier homes, but it is still the ghetto - all of it.

ALL of Fayetteville is NOT ghetto. You're over exaggerating. I've never been scared in Fayetteville, not late at night, or by myself. Now, you have no business out walking down Murchison Road, or walking through Tiffany Pines at 3am. That's just asking for trouble. Stay out of the "inner city" neighborhoods---it IS possible!

7. The mentality of most of the people here - between most being rude, there are a lot of users here.

Ummm....no.....again, you need to find new people to hang out with. Attitude is everyting.

8. There are not any decent places to go - outside of eating, the movies. There are NO non-military museums, there are upscale places to go to mingle and even network. When I first got here and asked where people went to network, some people looked at me like I was an alien. I see and understand now, because this is the ghetto and networking does not happen in the ghetto. Maybe in Raleigh or Charlotte, but definitely NOT here.

There ARE non-military museums--the Museum of the Cape Fear, the Poe House, the Arts Council, Fascinate-U Children's Museum, Botanical Gardens. Plenty of opportunities to network and upscale things to do---you're not in the "right" crowd, apparently. There are ways to find it, if you look.

9. I now understand what someone told me about the vortex of doom and gloom being Fagotteville. When I first got here someone said this place has the potential to depress you and now I truly understand. I'm out of there in the Fall of 2016. Thank you, Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye. Good luck.

10. Be prepared to have your patience tested often dealing with the people here. You will need lots of patience. Good luck.
Bless your heart.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:23 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneGiven View Post

This thread was four years old. After the OP had spent a short time in Fayetteville, he spent the next three years justifiably trashing it!

Old 01-02-2016, 10:24 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
Bless your heart.
Why fear the truth? Everybody is saying the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina