Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:27 PM

963 posts, read 2,409,237 times

Advertisements

Remember Jesse Helms, who of course was an ardent defender of segregation? When have they not supported discrimination?

I wonder how this amendment would stand up against the equal protection clause in the US Constitution? I'm sure there are lawyers already looking into this, and good for them. I've spent my entire life living in NC, and our tendency towards one step forward, two steps back is a little boneheaded. I really love it here - it's the most beautiful state in the country, and the amenities here can't be beat, but our leaders (from both major parties, I will state) have turned bent logic into an alternative lifestyle of it's own. Why don't we ban that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 06:15 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidals View Post
Remember Jesse Helms, who of course was an ardent defender of segregation? When have they not supported discrimination?

I wonder how this amendment would stand up against the equal protection clause in the US Constitution? I'm sure there are lawyers already looking into this, and good for them. I've spent my entire life living in NC, and our tendency towards one step forward, two steps back is a little boneheaded. I really love it here - it's the most beautiful state in the country, and the amenities here can't be beat, but our leaders (from both major parties, I will state) have turned bent logic into an alternative lifestyle of it's own. Why don't we ban that?
I would love to see it overturned, then again I would have rather seen more people give a damn and turn out to vote.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:31 PM

172 posts, read 267,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
From the official NC GOP platform:

Government should treat all citizens impartially, without regard to wealth, race, ethnicity, disability, religion, sex, political affiliation or national origin. We oppose all forms of invidious discrimination. Sexual orientation is not an appropriate category.

I'm assuming none of those morons bothered to look up the definition of "invidious" before coming up with this gem.
What else is new? The GOP is the modern day NAZI party.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:19 AM

40 posts, read 60,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarq81 View Post
Wow, a history buff.

Who wants to disarm citizens?
Ever hear of NDAA?
Not enough room on the net for the list.
Then again, there are probably enough brown shirts to go around for both parties.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:36 AM

351 posts, read 632,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymarq81 View Post
I think both sides of the argument here can pretty much consider anything this guy has to say as irrelevant and absurd.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I would love to see it overturned, then again I would have rather seen more people give a damn and turn out to vote.
If you look at the numbers, the 61% that approved this abomination represent only 20% of the registered voters in NC. And if you conisder that many are just too apathetic to even register, it could mean that as few as 10 - 15% of those eligible to vote, imposed their bigotry into the state constitution.

The irony is that there may be more gay people in NC than those that voted to suppress their rights.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
I would venture to guess both of you would favor overturning the smoking ban in restaurants and bars?
Yes (and no, I don't smoke)

Old 06-11-2012, 12:01 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
I would venture to guess both of you would favor overturning the smoking ban in restaurants and bars?
non sequitur Smoking is a choice, but being black, gay, male or female, left handed, etc. are not.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:06 PM

351 posts, read 632,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If you look at the numbers, the 61% that approved this abomination represent only 20% of the registered voters in NC. And if you conisder that many are just too apathetic to even register, it could mean that as few as 10 - 15% of those eligible to vote, imposed their bigotry into the state constitution.

The irony is that there may be more gay people in NC than those that voted to suppress their rights.
...and maybe the vast majority of those who didn't vote were predominantly FOR Amendment One.

That irony is that maybe every gay person in NC voted and there ain't no more left.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
I think both sides of the argument here can pretty much consider anything this guy has to say as irrelevant and absurd.
Noted and agreed.
Quote:
Most appalling to me is the total turnout did not even equal the total of registered republicans in this state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Yes (and no, I don't smoke)
Neither do I and I still would.
Quote:
non sequitur Smoking is a choice, but being black, gay, male or female, left handed, etc. are not.
On the contrary, both issues are about government interfering in people's lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina