Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
What constitutional rights were violated?
We can sit here and argue all day about whether he can display it on school grounds, but the fact of the matter, we have people on here advocating flying the flag and hate speech and shouldn't be allowed. Pretty sure that violates one of those dang stupid Constitutional rights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 08:46 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The flag is the symbol of the degradation, oppression, and dehumanization of an entire race of people for centuries. Not only that, it's the symbol of an armed, treasonous insurrection against the United States.

It is a flag of treason. It is a testament to our First Amendment that we even allow them to be printed, let alone flown in public places.
The same can be said about the US Flag by Native Americans and the British.

I wonder when the ACLU will step in for this kid's rights.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:53 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
OMG seriously you need to let it go. People like you hang on to the racism thing to advance your cause. Your going to be offended by a piece of cloth is just silly.

There have been terrible things happen in this country's past, but its just it. Its the past. As a country we have done more than enough to make up for our past transgressions, so much so. That we now have reverse racism sanctioned by the federal government.(affirmative action?)

Instead of living in the past, wake up in the morning put your big boy pants on and look forward to the future. I've yet to meet a person that has been dealt a perfect hand in life.

Trayvon Martin sez "Hi". Oh wait, he can't say "Hi" because someone killed him for being black in the wrong neighborhood. Never mind.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Trayvon Martin sez "Hi". Oh wait, he can't say "Hi" because someone killed him for being black in the wrong neighborhood. Never mind.
Oh brother. Let's try to stay on one topic here.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Oh brother. Let's try to stay on one topic here.

rdub, the point I'm trying to make here, just in case you didn't get it, is that "it" isn't all in the past. There still is plenty of racism in this country--just ask any black person and I'm sure they can give you lots of personal examples.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
rdub, the point I'm trying to make here, just in case you didn't get it, is that "it" isn't all in the past. There still is plenty of racism in this country--just ask any black person and I'm sure they can give you lots of personal examples.
I'm not disagreeing with you there. But to bring that case up is like bringing up Hitler in a heated argument. Godwin's Law.

Question if you had slave ancestors - if it wasn't for slavery do you think you would be in the USA living a good life, or would you still be in Africa and possibly starving? I'm not trolling here, I wonder if people ever consider this.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,769 times
Quote:
Individuals are racist.... not groups or countries. And there will ALWAYS be racist individuals... that will never change because people are different. The best way to move forward is not let this stuff affect those of us who choose not to be racist and who choose to make judgements on character and not color. Put no merrit to the words and actions of those who are racist... unless they are causing physical harm to people or their property. They will eventually be pushed into the shadows...

You can ask any white, Asian, or Hispanic person too... I'm sure there are plenty of people that can tell you racism still exists... black people are not the only ones who people are racist towards ya know...

I don't think that hiding things or shunning away peoples items because of every person that has every been "offended" is going to cure any issues. But then again... as has been discussed before, "offended" is a very overused word these days.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you there. But to bring that case up is like bringing up Hitler in a heated argument. Godwin's Law.

Question if you had slave ancestors - if it wasn't for slavery do you think you would be in the USA living a good life, or would you still be in Africa and possibly starving? I'm not trolling here, I wonder if people ever consider this.
Well, maybe some would be starving in Africa, but I don't see what that has to do with anything. I don't think that in any way justifies the treatment blacks have had to endure, do you? Or are you saying they should be grateful for the lynchings and discrimination because white people saved them from having to stay in their homeland? (I really don't think you mean to say that, but it sure sounds like it.)

Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
Lets keep the discussion in relation to the OP please, This thread is discussion of the teens actions, unless you can prove how current racism is result of the Confederate flag the discussion does not belong here.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Individuals are racist.... not groups or countries. And there will ALWAYS be racist individuals... that will never change because people are different. The best way to move forward is not let this stuff affect those of us who choose not to be racist and who choose to make judgements on character and not color. Put no merrit to the words and actions of those who are racist... unless they are causing physical harm to people or their property. They will eventually be pushed into the shadows...

You can ask any white, Asian, or Hispanic person too... I'm sure there are plenty of people that can tell you racism still exists... black people are not the only ones who people are racist towards ya know...

I don't think that hiding things or shunning away peoples items because of every person that has every been "offended" is going to cure any issues. But then again... as has been discussed before, "offended" is a very overused word these days.
larshen, I see what you're getting at, but until you walk in someone else's shoes you can't really understand their position. All I'm trying to say here is that, for me, the fact that (some) black people are offended by the rebel flag-waving is enough for me. I don't feel the need to question their motives--I know they have good reason for feeling that way because I've seen first-hand what many of them have had to endure over the years. It's not for me to decide what offends them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina