Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Keep in mind this applies only to people that have carry permits, which means they have already been vetted.

Each establishment can also say NO. So if you really disagree, tell the proprietor that unless they ban concealed carry from their business you will take your business elsewhere.
Alcohol can make reasonable people do very unreasonable things. There are just two many scenarios when alcohol is present that can quickly become explosive when a gun is added into the equation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 01:29 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Alcohol can make reasonable people do very unreasonable things. There are just two many scenarios when alcohol is present that can quickly become explosive when a gun is added into the equation.
And they simply pull out their gun they are carrying illegally, or go to the parking lot and get it out of their car. What's your point.

We go out frequently, and never see people drunk, in fact going to a local brewery shortly ($2.50 pints ). Sure it happens at Bubba's Redneck Bar, but I bet you that even Bubba is smart enough to ban guns, cause trouble causes the loss of licenses to sell alcohol. And if they ain't packing illegally, bet they got their smoke pole in the truck .

And there was a gun related murder in one such place earlier this year, all without the right to carry.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
The person carrying doesn't have to be drinking to have problems. As I said, PA allows guns in bars.

For instance, Joe goes to a bar with his buddies, Walt & Bob. It's Joe's turn to drive, so he's drinking Coke. Someone comes in to hold up the bartender. Joe takes his gun out & Walt, who's smashed, grabs it. There are dozens of ways that the scenario can play out from this point. None are good.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:02 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Another misleading title from a forum moderator. As previously mentioned, this bill DOES NOT allow concealed-carry holders to drink. What it allows them to do is carry in a place like Applebees, Olive Garden, Ted's Montana Grill, Bonefish, Moe's, etc. Tennessee passed this law last year and there haven't been any issues. There was similar wailing and gnashing of teeth by the anti-gun folks about how the bill would create the Wild West out of thin air and they were wrong. The same thing happened when Florida passed a similar bill back in the 90's. All of the "dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria" predictions turned out to be completely baseless.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:49 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Another misleading title from a forum moderator. As previously mentioned, this bill DOES NOT allow concealed-carry holders to drink. What it allows them to do is carry in a place like Applebees, Olive Garden, Ted's Montana Grill, Bonefish, Moe's, etc. Tennessee passed this law last year and there haven't been any issues. There was similar wailing and gnashing of teeth by the anti-gun folks about how the bill would create the Wild West out of thin air and they were wrong. The same thing happened when Florida passed a similar bill back in the 90's. All of the "dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria" predictions turned out to be completely baseless.
I'm not blowing smoke & I am neither pro nor anti-gun. I'm speaking from decades of getting my news from Philadelphia. Do bad things happen daily? No, but they happen too often. It's not so much the rural places where the dung hits the fan. It's the urban areas.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:05 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Keep in mind this applies only to people that have carry permits, which means they have already been vetted.

Each establishment can also say NO. So if you really disagree, tell the proprietor that unless they ban concealed carry from their business you will take your business elsewhere.

Yes, you can always make a suggestion to the owner to not allow concealed handgun on their property. However, if you were to make such a suggestion can I make one and that's to not even go out in public? Not meaning the suggestion as an attack but more of an eye opener. I think you'd be surprised how many concealed handguns you have sat next to in public places. The fact is the pistol is concealed meaning nobody knows it's there, at least until it's needed.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:06 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The person carrying doesn't have to be drinking to have problems. As I said, PA allows guns in bars.

For instance, Joe goes to a bar with his buddies, Walt & Bob. It's Joe's turn to drive, so he's drinking Coke. Someone comes in to hold up the bartender. Joe takes his gun out & Walt, who's smashed, grabs it. There are dozens of ways that the scenario can play out from this point. None are good.
And if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt on the lily pads. You can play "what if" until the cows come home, bottom line being the only way to eliminate any gun scenario is to confiscate all firearms- and guess what................
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm not blowing smoke & I am neither pro nor anti-gun. I'm speaking from decades of getting my news from Philadelphia. Do bad things happen daily? No, but they happen too often. It's not so much the rural places where the dung hits the fan. It's the urban areas.
Of all the reported incidents how many involved citizens carrying legally?

Last edited by WFW&P; 06-11-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 07:08 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
Quote:
Criminals are going to ignore the law, concealed-carry holders will not. Tennessee and Florida have similar laws and there is not one instance that I can find of a legal concealed-carry permit holder wreaking havoc. Nearly all instances of people getting shot in restaurants have one thing in common- a criminal carrying illegally.

So when are the moderators going to get around to creating a truthful forum title?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Criminals are going to ignore the law, concealed-carry holders will not. Tennessee and Florida have similar laws and there is not one instance that I can find of a legal concealed-carry permit holder wreaking havoc. Nearly all instances of people getting shot in restaurants have one thing in common- a criminal carrying illegally.

So when are the moderators going to get around to creating a truthful forum title?
In tos it state
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective anyone of us could be wrong.

There is truth in lawmakers are considering a bill, the article in the link substantiate this

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
State lawmakers have reintroduced a bill that would allow people with concealed weapon permits to bring guns into restaurants that serve alcohol. Restaurant owners could still ban the practice but would have to post a conspicuous sign stating their disapproval.

read more
Bill resurrects idea of allowing guns in restaurants that serve alcohol

Old 06-11-2012, 09:41 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Under that theory I shouldn't drink at home since I have guns here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina