Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times

Advertisements

Most people from the North East who move there appear to be seeking out a more simple time. Like the Andy Griffith Show which was set in North Carolina. Very good program but there were no black people there.

The people who move there seem to be looking for some kind of simple 1950s - early 60s town like Mayberry, where the Andy Griffith show was set. In some fictional town where there were no black people, no Ku Klux Klan, and no problems of any sort.

I watched the show as a kid, but people should get over it. It was a 60s TV show. Not a real place!
Everyone I know from the Northeast who has moved there is conservative and loves it.

As for my self, I'm a liberal Democrat and Jewish, although I don't practice it. I like Wilmington and Ashville as places to visit.

I think it's an odd choice for a person like the OP. You can't move to a place and then try to change it. That's the way it is there. Especially Hickory of all places! Did she do any research first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:48 AM

202 posts, read 350,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Most people from the North East who move there appear to be seeking out a more simple time. Like the Andy Griffith Show which was set in North Carolina. Very good program but there were no black people there.

The people who move there seem to be looking for some kind of simple 1950s - early 60s town like Mayberry, where the Andy Griffith show was set. In some fictional town where there were no black people, no Ku Klux Klan, and no problems of any sort.

I watched the show as a kid, but people should get over it. It was a 60s TV show. Not a real place!
Everyone I know from the Northeast who has moved there is conservative and loves it.

As for my self, I'm a liberal Democrat and Jewish, although I don't practice it. I like Wilmington and Ashville as places to visit.

I think it's an odd choice for a person like the OP. You can't move to a place and then try to change it. That's the way it is there. Especially Hickory of all places! Did she do any research first?
Well said, sir. I love to see common sense prevail.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:48 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
And so you have it. For anyone who thinks Long Island is liberal, you are wrong. NYC is mostly liberal. Long Island? NO.

One of the most segregated places in the country with some of the most provincial people you will ever meet.

If you are not Republican, you will not get a county job. Fundamentalists are everywhere and most people on Long Island are afraid of NYC. Or any city.

And "safe" and "good schools" are code words.

I still do not think that the OP should pretend to believe in God and take her children to church if she's an atheist. It's living a lie.

Trust me here - Long Island ins not LIBERAL.

Remember Massapequa Tabernacle? Pastor Profetta and Jessica Hahn? A scandel that involved Jim Bakker in the 80s.
Then there's the Upper Room in Deer Park, and Smithtown Gospel Tabernacle. All huge churches with services
inside of buildings that look like airplane hangers.

Google any of these places. You will see what I mean.

^ She's spot on. Long Island is not a hot bed of liberalism. Most people there are at l;east fiscal conservatives. Many Social Conservatives also. And many huge born again churches.

I'm also originally from there and I'm generally a fiscal conservative to moderate.

But there is nothing liberal about Long Island. They don't even go into NYC.
Which is crazy cause it does have a lot to offer.
I meet more Southerners and Mid Westerners at Broadway Shows, TV Show tapings - which are free, museums and places like the Statue of Liberty.

Long Island people would rather go to the mall and the beach.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 PM

16 posts, read 31,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
^ She's spot on. Long Island is not a hot bed of liberalism. Most people there are at l;east fiscal conservatives. Many Social Conservatives also. And many huge born again churches.

I'm also originally from there and I'm generally a fiscal conservative to moderate.

But there is nothing liberal about Long Island. They don't even go into NYC.
Which is crazy cause it does have a lot to offer.
I meet more Southerners and Mid Westerners at Broadway Shows, TV Show tapings - which are free, museums and places like the Statue of Liberty.

Long Island people would rather go to the mall and the beach.
I have been to all of the above mentioned places you claim Long Islanders don't go to...on several occasions. So have most Long Islanders I know. You seriously have no idea what you are talking about. So, your comment is completely invalid...actually your entire post is completely without merit.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
OP, I'm very confused. You say you want a place that's 'safe' and with 'good schools'. Surely you realize that this is another way of saying "lily white".

Doesn't this conflict with your liberalism?
That's ridiculous for you to make an assumption like that. Maybe your make racist connections because you feel that way internally, but to me Safe and Good Schools means, SAFE AND GOOD SCHOOLS. I could give a crap what race or religion anybody is. And how do you know I am not married to a person of color or have people of color in my family.

Surely you realize your comment makes you sound like a moron.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

ETA: I don't to suggest the OP live a lie by going to church and pretending to believe in God. I tried that and it doesn't work. Trust me, lol. But I would be extremely quiet about your atheism until you at least develop a core of friends, and don't be surprised if 75% of them abandon you once they find out you're atheist. Plus, religion--specifically Christianity--permeates everything, at least where I was in NC. For example, the local town opening festival, which was not advertised as a religious event, featured a preacher, who even held an open prayer. When I went to work every morning, people would exchange Bible verses, without even considering that not everyone is Christian. The YMCA had Bible verses and pictures of Jesus on the wall. (I know it's the YMCA but they don't do that up North.) That's just how Christian everything is. So you basically have two options: 1) Fly under the radar as "Christian" by letting people assume what they will anyway, or 2) Be open and honest and have your social and professional life seriously jeopardized as a result.

I have serious doubts that this would be the case in Charlotte. And if I had issues in my professional life due to my religion, I would be headed straight for easy street cause I would sue the s*$t out of that company and enjoy a hefty settlement for religious discrimination. So, that'd be cool.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:51 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 828MOM View Post
I have serious doubts that this would be the case in Charlotte. And if I had issues in my professional life due to my religion, I would be headed straight for easy street cause I would sue the s*$t out of that company and enjoy a hefty settlement for religious discrimination. So, that'd be cool.
It's seriously not too late to quit while you're behind, pack up, and head back home.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:21 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
OP, hint for living in NC

If you ask a question and you get answers, whether you like them or not, you say 'thank you'.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:54 PM

202 posts, read 350,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
It's seriously not too late to quit while you're behind, pack up, and head back home.
I agree. I don't believe she'd ever be happy here. Her attitude doesn't seem to be one that most natives would find endearing. As northstate said, a polite "no, thank you" would've been sufficient.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:29 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,578 times
She will be fine. Just as I have been fine , there are many free thinkers here. In reality , we need more of them to shake things up , they may transpire to be better in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina