Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:17 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to come back to this thread and say that I have gotten more "reps" from this thread than any other thread I've ever posted on.

Personally, I still think a commute from the Boone/Blowing Rock area could be workable, but I'm thinking the OP would probably prefer being closer to Charlotte. And Charlotte is fine with atheists. I know many native Charlotte atheists — in fact I'm related to several, and it's a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 05:30 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
I felt WAY out of place for the first 6 months when I moved to the triangle area from the Jersey Shore and I had family here, had visited many times. The OP has been here only 7 WEEKS (when she made her first post), moving to Hickory from Long Island. I'd probably be catatonic with such an abrupt change or at least have a severe case of culture whiplash.

I also spent the first 4 or 5 months looking at everything with jaundice eye, bordering on contempt, constantly looking at what was wrong with "here". I was one of those that would say "up in New Jersey...." until finally one woman I worked with told me "this ain't New Jersey and if it's so d*mn bad the highway you took south runs right on back north". Well, shut my mouth, hand me a moon pie and RC Cola I was sooooo embarrassed because she was right.

The above said, I quickly came to realize I needed to let go of all of my prejudices and preconceived notions, real or conjured up, and amazingly I can't imagine living anywhere else. That was over 20 years ago and though I still find myself reminiscing at times, I couldn't have made a better choice.

I hope the OP can find people that align to her "view" of love, peace and acceptance. I didn't think those three things required someone's "view", I thought those three sentiments came with an awareness of selflessness and tolerance.

Regards,

Second Right

Old 06-26-2012, 06:01 PM

222 posts, read 550,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by second right View Post
I felt WAY out of place for the first 6 months when I moved to the triangle area from the Jersey Shore and I had family here, had visited many times. The OP has been here only 7 WEEKS (when she made her first post), moving to Hickory from Long Island. I'd probably be catatonic with such an abrupt change or at least have a severe case of culture whiplash.

I also spent the first 4 or 5 months looking at everything with jaundice eye, bordering on contempt, constantly looking at what was wrong with "here". I was one of those that would say "up in New Jersey...." until finally one woman I worked with told me "this ain't New Jersey and if it's so d*mn bad the highway you took south runs right on back north". Well, shut my mouth, hand me a moon pie and RC Cola I was sooooo embarrassed because she was right.

The above said, I quickly came to realize I needed to let go of all of my prejudices and preconceived notions, real or conjured up, and amazingly I can't imagine living anywhere else. That was over 20 years ago and though I still find myself reminiscing at times, I couldn't have made a better choice.
That's a great addition to this thread, second right. I did not grow up in either the Northeast or the South, so I don't really understand the whole family feud that people from those two regions seem to still be engaged in. I'm from west of both of those regions originally. Sometimes I feel like Northeasterners and Southerners just can't get along, though what both groups need to realize is that both have very vibrant cultures that they should each be proud of, and maybe they could both learn from each other in a way. One thing I do notice is when some Northeasterners relocate to other parts of the country, whether it be here in the South, or in the West where I grew up, the Northeastern transplants seem to look at all of the natives cross-eyed for awhile. So I do think that has a lot to do with it when they don't feel they receive a warm welcome.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I haven't read all of the posts yet.

828Mom - can you move again - to the NC triangle area?

I can't imagine attending church youth groups for the social aspect as a liberal atheist or agnostic...unless it's the unitarian church. (I share your views though I am not atheist, more new-agey spiritual - and could not live where you moved)

Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
As a frequent visitor to NC I find this post fascinating.

My relatives who have relocated there (charlotte and raleigh) were a bit surprised by the fact that church played such a large role in peoples' lives, but it hasn't affected them professionally or personally even though none of them are churchgoers. For the most part, they've been accepted for who they are just as they accept their church-going friends and neighbors.

This may be because they were drawn to N.C because of the way it is, not because they wanted to change it to be more like NJ. They understood and accepted that the locals might have different views and have never felt it necessary to try to convert them to their liberal ideology or to find a liberal enclave in NC.

If OP is looking for a place where a large majority of people are liberal atheists she should move to a place like N.H. or VT. (the most non-religious states in the union per the Pew Institute). Or to Seattle, or Portland, or Berkeley for that matter.

When people say they don't like people who put their religion/sexuality/politics in their face, it usually means they're uncomfortable forming relationships with people who are different than them and who dare to wear their opinions on their sleeves. They'd have no problem if they encountered like-minded people who were equally outspoken. At least that's what I've noticed over the years.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:07 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
The Triangle has a fairly large secular population. A majority of Raleigh's population does not belong to any congregation. I've lived in this area my whole life, and *I* would probably feel the culture shock of moving to somewhere like Hickory, even though this is the same state.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:43 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I haven't read all of the posts yet.

828Mom - can you move again - to the NC triangle area?

I can't imagine attending church youth groups for the social aspect as a liberal atheist or agnostic...unless it's the unitarian church. (I share your views though I am not atheist, more new-agey spiritual - and could not live where you moved)
Actually, I heard New Jersey is nice this time of year...

Old 07-13-2014, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 869 times
Just wondering how this all turned out. Good, I hope. Update us, please.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:21 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
little secret about the south....nobody cares about your being Jew/Atheist/liberal as much as you think they care.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
little secret about the south....nobody cares about your being Jew/Atheist/liberal as much as you think they care.
Outside of every other word is about that. Same thing if you're a bible thumper or UNC fan.

Yet, I'll have the same reaction to all. Smile and nod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina