U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2006, 12:11 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,673,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
We really enjoy the cars and that's one reason we wanted at least an acre so that we can build a garage outbuilding with a woodworking shop for my husband. Since it will have a bathroom and upstairs guest room and fun room (Ok, I admit it a NASCAR room!) my husband said he may just live out there! Hmmm, I guess banishing him to the garage just won't be the same! ha ha
That's the sort of setup I dream of. I've been carrying around the plans in my head for years. A garage-mahal. Don't forget room for the large wide-screen TV with surround sound for the races on Sunday afternoon. How many square feet are you thinking? I want a 2-story with around 1,000 square feet on each level.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2006, 06:20 AM

192 posts, read 593,227 times
Quote:
A garage-mahal.
My husband would LOVE that too! Oh my gosh too funny!

Old 04-29-2006, 07:43 AM

12 posts, read 53,249 times
Default For Relocating Northeast Folks

We came across this thread in our search for anyone whose experience is rather like ours. Like many of you, we've decided to leave the east coast for a more sensible way of life, and while this family's new city is a bit different from all of yours (midwest), the reasons for making the move sound really familiar. has anyone has tried Google Earth for mapping out locations? It's really given us a much better snapshot of the area, and a better sense of its geography than we could have figured out from this distance.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:13 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,077,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
That's the sort of setup I dream of. I've been carrying around the plans in my head for years. A garage-mahal. Don't forget room for the large wide-screen TV with surround sound for the races on Sunday afternoon. How many square feet are you thinking? I want a 2-story with around 1,000 square feet on each level.
My husband is thinking about a 45 X 45 2 story. Yes, a nice large TV so that we can "crank it up"! LOL He has already looked into getting a 4 post lift. I love antiquing so I have been buying vintage signs for the garage and old magazine ads and such for the cars we have so that I can frame and put them up. The husband just reminded me that we also watch on Saturday (Busch) and we have started watching the truck series also. My niece and her husband work for Wood Brothers so we started following Jon Wood for the Busch Series(supporting the family) and her husband is one of the full time haulers. He got to go over the wall at the truck race in Martinsville as the catch can man so had to watch to see if we could catch him on TV. Ken Schrader is their cup driver and how could you not be a Scrader fan? My niece said he is very nice. We actually started watching the Busch Series a few years ago after I had gotten free tickets to Cal Speedway for the whole weekend. It was so much fun. When we bought tickets they were just for the Nextel series.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:12 PM

543 posts, read 1,635,908 times
Nancy-- Does your husband need a buddy to help him drink beer and reminisce about the good old days and ignore your complaints of the grass needing to be cut?

In our last house, I built a 25' x 30' workshop in our back yard and then built half our furniture for our new house. I built the bath room vanities, end tables, kitchen table and bed (passion pit ), and all kinds of stuff. I used to love wood working. Where we decided to buy there is no option for a workshop other than the garage and I think with the hoa rules,we have to park in our garage. Never lived with an HOA before, have to see how that goes. I'm okay with it though since I plan to drink heavily and not do yard work. I also plan on demanding that all things be done in a northern way and all confederate flags not be visible from the master bathroom of my house and I want all taxes raised immeditately to meet the unrealistic demands that I have on the local government. But maybe I'll be a regular citizen, not demand anything, pay my taxes, visit local establishments, etc...

All depends on if silverwing lets's me ride his bike or not.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:52 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,077,444 times
Mark--you are officially our 1st new friend in NC, come on over the fridge is always stocked with Bud (only American beer at our house, lol). When we remodeled our kitchen last year my husband did all of the wood work, basically he did our whole remodel. He did all the plumbing, tile, electric, drywall, texturing, wood flooring etc. 4 years of dust and shuffling stuff from room to room! It was tough because with a full time job you could only do things after work and on the weekends. When he lost his job that's when he decided to stay home and finish the house and in that time decided to go for it and move to NC. So that is why we are looking at new homes, 2000 to brand new. We are going to try and stay away from any HOA's though. I missed it, what kind of bike does Silverwing have?

Old 04-30-2006, 10:31 AM

110 posts, read 126,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
During our search for a new home, we found that only a few of the floor plans can accomodate our outrageously large TV (my husband still doesn't think its big enough!) When we were looking, we had to explain, "beautiful home, but our TV won't fit!" I hope you get your TV and your home to fit it in!! Took us a while, but we will start building ours soon.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:10 PM

483 posts, read 1,449,158 times
Default Moving to Matthews as well

My husband will be starting his new job on May 30th and will be staying in an apt until our house is ready. We currently live in NY (Long Island) and just purchased a home in Matthews with Union County Schools (Antioch and Sun Valley). We are so excited, especially that we don't have to pay over 9k in real estate taxes. Good luck to everyone else making the move!

Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 PM

483 posts, read 1,449,158 times
You should have just done what my husband decided to do. Sold our 'not even one year old' tv's to purchase new flat panel ones. And let's not forget all the electronic gadgets and remotes to go with them. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that has an electronic addict for a husband.

Old 05-03-2006, 02:52 PM

543 posts, read 1,635,908 times
baked bean, I love google earth. Lets me zoom right down to the land and see the details. Only problem is that the data is a couple of years old and a lot of sub divisions are greatly advanced from what's available.

Another really cool tool is the mecklenburg polaris system. Well I guees it's only useful if your in mecklenburg county but other counties may have it. That one lets you see details of lots, dimensions, who owns them, how much they paid, etc.. Really cool system. You can almost figure out demographics of a neighborhood by looking at the details provided. Very useful system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or