U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 04:54 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,687,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
baked bean, I love google earth. Lets me zoom right down to the land and see the details. Only problem is that the data is a couple of years old and a lot of sub divisions are greatly advanced from what's available.

Another really cool tool is the mecklenburg polaris system. Well I guees it's only useful if your in mecklenburg county but other counties may have it. That one lets you see details of lots, dimensions, who owns them, how much they paid, etc.. Really cool system. You can almost figure out demographics of a neighborhood by looking at the details provided. Very useful system.
That system used in Mecklenburg may be part of the NC One Map network.

http://www.nconemap.com/participants.html (broken link)

Alamance County, NC
Alexander County, NC
Anson County, NC *
Asheville, NC *
Atlantic Beach, NC
Black Mountain, NC
Brevard, NC
Beaufort County, NC
Brunswick County, NC *
Buncombe County, NC *
Burke County, NC
Cabarrus County, NC *
Camden County, NC
Carrboro, NC *
Catawba, NC
Catawba County, NC
Conover, NC
Currituck County, NC
Dare County, NC *
Davie County, NC
Edgecombe County, NC
Elkin, NC
Emerald Isle, NC
Fletcher, NC
Gaston County, NC *
Greenville, NC
Guilford County, NC
Halifax County, NC
Havelock, NC
Haywood County, NC
Henderson County, NC *
Hickory, NC
High Point, NC *
Iredell County, NC *
Johnston County, NC *
Kernersville, NC
Lee County, NC *
Lenoir, NC
Lenoir County, NC *
Macon County, NC *
Madison County, NC
Mecklenburg County, NC *
Mocksville, NC
Moore County, NC *
Morganton, NC
Mount Airy, NC
New Bern, NC
New Hanover County, NC
Newton, NC
Northampton County, NC
Onslow County, NC *
Pasquotank County, NC *
Pender County, NC
Perquimans County, NC
Pilot Mountain, NC
Raleigh, NC *
River Bend, NC
Salisbury, NC *
Stokes County, NC
Union County, NC *
Wake County, NC *
Washington County, NC
Wilson County, NC
York County, SC *
Eastern Carolina COG *
e-NC Authority *
FEMA *
Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC)
FGDC Cadastral Subcommittee (www.nationalcad.org)
Geospatial One-Stop
Land of Sky COG *
NOAA *
NC Center for Geographic Information and Analysis *
NC Dept. of Environment and Natural Resources *
NC Dept. of Public Instruction
NC Dept. of Transportation
NC Floodplain Mapping Program
NC Geological Survey
NC State University *
NW Piedmont COG *
SE Atlantic Coastal Ocean Observing System (SEACOOS) *
Unifour Metropolitan Planning Organization
URISA - Carolina Chapter
Upper Coastal Plain COG
US Geological Survey *
Western Piedmont COG *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2006, 06:00 PM
JAS

570 posts, read 1,777,160 times
Default satellite

I'm partial to Windows Local Live -- they have the "bird's eye" and reverse views in some cities.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:59 PM

195 posts, read 168,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bundydad
jerseymom, are you sure Matthews is located in Union County? By my census information it states that Matthews is in Mecklenburg County, which has a much higher tax rate. Also go online to the Charlotte Observer and read all the crime related stories, mainly homicides, robberies, shootings and mapquest them. You will find that they ALL happen inside of the I-485 loop. This info is from a retired law enforcement officer who is moving to nc in 07
Really? I looked up crime and it was good!
Update: I looked at the 2000 stats. the 2004 is DIFFERENT!

Old 05-28-2006, 10:30 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,081,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound4NC
Really? I looked up crime and it was good!
Update: I looked at the 2000 stats. the 2004 is DIFFERENT!
Matthews is in Mecklenburg County not Union.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:16 AM

483 posts, read 1,449,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Matthews is in Mecklenburg County not Union.
Now I'm confused because we're buying a home in Matthews and we're going to be paying Union County taxes, not Mecklenberg. Does it all depend on where in Matthews you live? Because I heard that Matthews run thru both Mecklenberg and Union.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:23 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,687,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmdj43
Now I'm confused because we're buying a home in Matthews and we're going to be paying Union County taxes, not Mecklenberg. Does it all depend on where in Matthews you live? Because I heard that Matthews run thru both Mecklenberg and Union.
It's my understanding that the entire city limits of Matthews is within Mecklenburg County. However, those nearby who are outside of the city limits may have a Matthews mailing address even though they live in Union County.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:03 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,408,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baked bean
We came across this thread in our search for anyone whose experience is rather like ours. Like many of you, we've decided to leave the east coast for a more sensible way of life, and while this family's new city is a bit different from all of yours (midwest), the reasons for making the move sound really familiar. has anyone has tried Google Earth for mapping out locations? It's really given us a much better snapshot of the area, and a better sense of its geography than we could have figured out from this distance.
We have used google earth, the only wrinkle is that the images are a few years old. BTW have you looked at your own house? We saw our minivan in the drivewaay... it is weird!!!!

Old 06-02-2006, 10:15 AM

1,735 posts, read 4,232,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
While mod cut is a great site to look at...keep in mind that this site too lags behind.
I found the images to be more recent on Zillow than Google Earth. My house for example on GE was 5 years old and on Zillow it was less than 2. Also on houses I have found in NC, I was able to get a closer view on Zillow than GE.
The prices are not necessarily accurate. They don’t take in consideration things like, recent room additions, remodeling upgrades, etc. There is a tool that allows you to include these items to get a better idea of the value.

Last edited by Yac; 06-03-2006 at 04:27 AM..

Old 06-02-2006, 12:53 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
I found the images to be more recent on Zillow than Google Earth. My house for example on GE was 5 years old and on Zillow it was less than 2. Also on houses I have found in NC, I was able to get a closer view on Zillow than GE.
The prices are not necessarily accurate. They donít take in consideration things like, recent room additions, remodeling upgrades, etc. There is a tool that allows you to include these items to get a better idea of the value.
I agree RedNC..that zillow is more up to date than GE. If I look at my old home in CA (where all the house's have stood for over 50 years) it does not show the addition we did to the house (well over 5 years ago)...but if I look at Zillow it does show the additions. Now when you come into areas that have had a lot of new growth lately (Charlotte and surrounding areas) it will show vacant land where I know there have been homes for at least 2 years. One other site I was using prior to moving to the Carolinas was the Realtor site (it is still a good base start) but keep in mind it is not updated as much as individual realty company sites (after we moved into our home...it was still on the site 4 months later).

Old 06-03-2006, 11:39 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,768,462 times
anyone moving to or already moved to spring creek at wesley oaks (another centex community in waxhaw) just curious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or