U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2006, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 20,091 times

Advertisements

I live in NJ and after Jon Taxine's budget proposal (including an increase in the sales tax, more business unfriendly proposals) I've been dreaming of NC. Been to NC a few times (OB, Charlotte, drove Rt 17 through the state to get to Myrtle Beach) and love the people. I gotta get out of this deep blue cesspool. You notice how it's always people fleeing the blue states for the red states ? Hmmm, I wonder why that is ? We're going to take a vacation to the OB and maybe start thinking about a vacation home down there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 AM

143 posts, read 443,823 times
Default We're On Our Way!

Our house in NE Mass. is under contract and we will be moving to the Burlington / Mebane area at the end of May! Finally!!

I feel that we are leaving just in the nick of time. Our town is once again wingeing about the "lack of resources", etc., etc., ad nauseum. Deep Blue Cesspool is a perfect descriptor. We have felt outnumbered for years and we've lived in Mass. all of our lives. The never-ending cycle of Massachusetts politics will never be broken. As several others have mentioned here, I hope that all of the Nanny-State high-maintenance whiners stay out! NH has been ruined by these types and they will have to move on to ruin somewhere else sooner or later.

We decided that, now that the kids are out of the house and we're in our 50's, that we had to determine whether we moved somewhere more sustainable and slow down a bit, or stay here, hating the winters, and die in the harness. It was a no brainer.

We fly down to Raleigh on the 7th for a whirlwind 5-day house-hunting adventure. Stuff is going into boxes, being given away or sold and some stuff will get donated. We can get a really nice house for $175k and be better off.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:11 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,407,863 times
Default uh oh Dan!

Beware OBX... it is sooo relaxing & fun, we went 2x, it was clearly my husband's way to get me warmed up to the idea that I could live in NC, and it worked. We drove over to Raleigh to look around after each trip, stayed the night b/f heading back north.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:29 PM

28 posts, read 119,778 times
Well said above; any concerns about NC that stand out? What made you choose the areas in NC and is the summer that brutal? There does seem to be a high tax structure and bureaucratic layers which concern me especially coming from: Hate Taxes/Government New Hampshire".

Old 04-04-2006, 04:02 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,685,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMT
Well said above; any concerns about NC that stand out? What made you choose the areas in NC and is the summer that brutal? There does seem to be a high tax structure and bureaucratic layers which concern me especially coming from: Hate Taxes/Government New Hampshire".
These are the average normal highs in July for selected NC Metro areas based on National Weather Service data over the past 30+ years:

Asheville - 83.3
Charlotte - 90.1
Raleigh - 89.1
Greensboro - 87.6
Wilmington - 89.9
Elizabeth City - 89.2

Some counties & cities have higher taxes than others. Generally speaking, the higher the population in a given area, the more public services available. These extras cost money. Obviously, if you use those services, it's worth the higher taxes. If not, it's a waste of your money. There are 100 counties in North Carolina.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-04-2006 at 04:16 PM..

Old 04-04-2006, 11:05 PM

23 posts, read 95,770 times
Default Cost of living in Wake County

Just to give you an idea of how much you can expect to pay for some things. I live in Garner, which is right outside of Raleigh. We pay about $65 every two months for trash, sewage and water to the City of Raleigh, I paid about $120 in proerty taxes for my 2005 Toyota Matrix, my average light bill is $100 monthly for our 1600 square foot, two story home, and $960 a year for auto insurance on two cars (a 2001 ford ranger and 2000 pontiac montana). Our home sits on 1/3 of an acre in a nice older subdivision and we paid $126,000 for it almost 4 years ago (I think now homes about our size, age and in our area are going for about $150,000). We have the highest tax on gas, I think, but currently gas prices are around $2.53 a gallon. Most of that money goes to our highways. You will never see potholes or tons of trash on the highways, they tend to take care of those quickly. If you work for the state, you are set for life. You will never get fired and the benefits are great. Growth is making traffic a little worse, but what can you expect, you have growth and traffic everywhere. I can get to my doctors office in Durham, from my home in less than 30 minutes, which is 30 miles away. This is with some traffic and major highway construction in two separate areas. So it really isn't that bad. Raleigh has really begun to boom with a downtown revitalization. Lots of events, shows and whatnots going on all the time. We have a major league hockey team, alltel pavilion if you like concerts, state flea market, which has tons of vendors, shows and events (also home of the State Fair). Great parks, trails and rec areas. We are in the middle of the state, less than two hours to the beach and near some of the nicest mountain areas as well. There are quite a few hospitals in the area that have excellent care. I gave birth at Rex hospital and my private room was so large, the staff told me I could have my baby shower in there if I wanted to (my girl was born the same week as my baby shower, 1 month early), which would've definately fit the 20 people than eventually came to the shower. I could keep going all night, but I think you get the picture. I plan on staying here forever, retiring to the mountains. The one bad thing I can say about NC - the humidity is aweful, but i grew up outside of Houston,TX so I am pretty used to it.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:14 AM

58 posts, read 318,011 times
I made the move from NY to NC. I bought a 3 bedroom house with a 2 car carport, den, 3 tool sheds (2 with power) on a quarter acre of land for $80,000. My yearly taxes are only $550. There is no way I could have lived this comfortably with this little stress in NY!!! I do still go to NY to visit family about once a year and every time I do it reminds me how happy I am that I left there.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:21 AM

787 posts, read 3,323,794 times
The cost of housing and living is lower than some places unless you get in a heavily populated area like Raleigh, Asheville, Burlington, Durham, Chapel Hill, Charlotte. But even in those areas, it is nothing like it is up north. We bought a 1700 Square foot brick home located on .9 of an acre of land in 1992 for $60,500.00. The worse thing I can say about it that we are in the city limits of Snow Hill and have to pay town and county taxes. But as for convenience, my husband is a mile from his job. Everything like the school, doctor's office, banks, grocery store, pharmacy, convenience mart is even closer than that. And because we are the last house in the city limits leaving the town, we are not crowded in. Most people don't even realize we are in the city limits. Since we have been in the house, we have done about $10,000.00 worth of remodeling largely consisting of painting, redoing the carpeting, the flooring is new and we added ceramic tile to the kitchen. Oh, and we bought a new front door.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:43 AM

143 posts, read 443,823 times
Talking Mebane it is!

We just got back from our house-hunt and have put an offer in on a fantastic 1959, 2200 Sq ft brick ranch on 2/3 acre of land near downtown Mebane. All of this will be well under 200k. The place has a huge carport and a 16 x 20 wired shop.

When we sat down with our agent to make the offer, he then showed us the property tax info (prior to this, we only saw tax value and rate). It turns out that the tax is computed on a two-year cycle. I thought we were going to be paying around $1700/year (wonderful, compared to my current $4800/year) but the news was much better than that: 1/2 of $1700 = $850.

We should be in our new home at the start of June.

Hooray!

Old 04-12-2006, 05:42 PM

787 posts, read 3,323,794 times
I got here the easy way I suppose. All my ancestors are from Greene County nearly or Dobbs County as it was called before they started dividing it up into Johnston, Greene, Wayne and Lenoir County. I was born in Lenoir County since Greene County has no hospital. Although that was not the issue. I am the only one of 4 of my mother's children born in a hospital. My sisters were born at home and my brother in a doctor's clinic. As soon as my ancestors got off the boat somewhere in Virginia, they migrated down here and that is where the majority of us have stayed. I think I am something like the 11th generation here. And I have one son still here with his 2 children. So that brings it up to 13 generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or