U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2006, 11:52 AM

143 posts, read 443,587 times

Advertisements

But with the Americans...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2006, 04:08 PM

889 posts, read 2,850,253 times
Your in Jerseymom!
Now where are you? Have you moved yet? Sorry i have not followed all of these threads this well.
Cin, cin !!!

Old 04-22-2006, 11:14 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,355,290 times
Mvn2nc,
I'll be moving in June, but have already closed on my house in Union County. How about yourself? North of Charlotte like Markh?

What part of CA are you in? My husband just turned down a good offer in San Diego. We are actually better off going to NC WITHOUT a job then we would be in San Diego with one. Isn't that crazy? Real Estate here in Jersey is almost as bad as where you are. Can't wait to leave.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:02 PM

We're in the same boat moving from Mass.

NC with no job > Mass. with job.

Go figure.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:18 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,355,290 times
Another brave soul! Or another nut-depending on how you look at it.

Old 04-22-2006, 06:24 PM

I think the nuts are the ones staying in Taxachusetts, but I'm not telling them. Most of them are smug in their righteousness in being the "smart" people. I'd prefer that these stay behind -- even though some of them be friends of mine.

I plan on launching a farewill letter to the editor of the Lowell Sun in a few weeks. It will be a real missive, I can assure you.

Old 04-22-2006, 08:00 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,077,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
Our trip down to Charlotte was a success last week. We loved the area and found a house in a new development that we really liked.

We put an offer down and it was accepted. Builders down have all kinds of incentives for using their mortgage company which we're not used to, never saw it before in Mass. We went into this with our own financing in place but the incentives for using their company are worth looking into. Anyone have any insight or advice about the builders mortgage programs? We have our RE attorney lined up but wondering what to look out for if anything. Builder is Centex and Mortgage compnay is CTX.

Thanks,

Mark

What kind of incentives did you do? We are looking at brand new construction also. Or a home no older than 2000, we just spent 4 years redoing our home, living in dust. No more, I just want to paint and move in. We have been looking on the internet and can't do anything until we sell our home here (So Cal). We are right in with all you guys, going with no job! Glad we are not the only ones.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,902,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
I'd like to think all us Northeners are moving for a "Southern lifestyle". Or I guess what we perceive to be one!

That beer and fried clams sounded good.
I've lived in NC for 11 years now, and my property taxes have gone up for the past 4 of them. Your logic looks good on paper, but it's just not realistic. The reason that the taxes tend to be higher in the Northeast is because it is a much more dense area (except for of coure northern new england, wich is esperiencing the same influx of urban Northeasterners as much of the south is; and the taxes rising from former lows). The more people move to the area, and the more schools and highways and water reseviors (my water bill gets higher now too, especially in summer when central nc tends to get severe droughts) they have to build for them, the more taxes they need to support them. The taxes will get sky high here too. This is imminent. I see it in the horizon. I'm moving back to NY from Apex NC and looking forward to it because that is where all of my family is and I want my kids to grow up knowing their aunts uncles and cousins. It's like we are all sheep on a field. We eat alll of the grass in one area, then we see a greener pasture, head on to it, everyone follows, and soon the grass is all gone their too. It all goes in cycles... lol who knows, in another 20 years, everyone could be moving to the cornfields of Nebraska.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:14 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,185,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
I've lived in NC for 11 years now, and my property taxes have gone up for the past 4 of them. Your logic looks good on paper, but it's just not realistic. The reason that the taxes tend to be higher in the Northeast is because it is a much more dense area (except for of coure northern new england, wich is esperiencing the same influx of urban Northeasterners as much of the south is; and the taxes rising from former lows). The more people move to the area, and the more schools and highways and water reseviors (my water bill gets higher now too, especially in summer when central nc tends to get severe droughts) they have to build for them, the more taxes they need to support them. The taxes will get sky high here too. This is imminent. I see it in the horizon. I'm moving back to NY from Apex NC and looking forward to it because that is where all of my family is and I want my kids to grow up knowing their aunts uncles and cousins. It's like we are all sheep on a field. We eat alll of the grass in one area, then we see a greener pasture, head on to it, everyone follows, and soon the grass is all gone their too. It all goes in cycles... lol who knows, in another 20 years, everyone could be moving to the cornfields of Nebraska.

Sorry to quote the whole post, but it is just too good snip. Just wanted to add my agreement. We were unwilling transplants 20 years ago, quite unlike the people moving here for "the better life". Our company was drawn to this state for the incentives, we were carried along because we would have been without a job (and the accrued benefits) if we hadn't. It will probably be
"the better life" for a generation - maybe two - then the grandkids of the transplants will be looking for greener pastures, better jobs, lower taxes and house prices. I'm betting the Midwest: an area being drained of habitants, will probably fill up again with people fleeing the southeast.

It all seems to make a circle, eventually

Old 04-23-2006, 08:39 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,902,974 times
^^ Amen. As a matter of fact, I believe Forbes is already predicting that. I actually was one of "them" 11 years ago, I came here willingly looking for the "utopia" I always heard about with perfect weather, lots of jobs, low taxes and nice cheap houses (the houses in upstate NY are actually much cheaper than they are here, it's just the high taxes). I moved here and was just like them, excited to see all of the houses and stores and huge developments going up and though it was so cool. That magic fades pretty fast after the first few years. I eventually came to realize.... holy crap, I moved away from my family, my childhood, all of my friends, and the strong community feeling I always had in Rochester for a place full of transients and new houses?!?!?! My oldest two missed out on all of the big family gatherings and events having lived here for most of their childhoods and being in Highschool now, but I have a 3 year old and my wife and I want him to grow up around his extended family. People dont' seem to realize..... they were saying all these same things about Detroit 60 years ago, and California (another place that many people move to NC from) 30 years ago.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 04-23-2006 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or