U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 09:11 AM

16 posts, read 31,079 times

Advertisements

[quote=nj2nc-2005]Mark,

My wife and I moved from NJ to the Greensboro area of NC in 2005.

Can you tell me where you are in relation to Greensboro? My husband and I lived in Greensboro in the early 80's and just returned from a short vacation to look at Real Estate in the Asheboro and Cary areas. I'm not fond of the schools in Asheboro and he hated Cary, so we are looking for new ideas. We have a 9 year old and schools are important and at the top of the list along with lot size. We would like to have at least 1 acre, since we have 3/4 of an acre here in NJ.

Thanks for your help,
Eileen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2006, 10:26 AM

5,265 posts, read 14,900,687 times
I'm just going to quote myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
^^ Amen. As a matter of fact, I believe Forbes is already predicting that. I actually was one of "them" 11 years ago, I came here willingly looking for the "utopia" I always heard about with perfect weather, lots of jobs, low taxes and nice cheap houses (the houses in upstate NY are actually much cheaper than they are here, it's just the high taxes). I moved here and was just like them, excited to see all of the houses and stores and huge developments going up and though it was so cool. That magic fades pretty fast after the first few years. I eventually came to realize.... holy crap, I moved away from my family, my childhood, all of my friends, and the strong community feeling I always had in Rochester for a place full of transients and new houses?!?!?! My oldest two missed out on all of the big family gatherings and events having lived here for most of their childhoods and being in Highschool now, but I have a 3 year old and my wife and I want him to grow up around his extended family. People dont' seem to realize..... they were saying all these same things about Detroit 60 years ago, and California (another place that many people move to NC from) 30 years ago.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:22 AM

5 posts, read 9,563 times
AMEN! I am one of those Southerners whose ancestry goes ALL the way back. I have watched and run from the cycle my whole life. We once lived in the quietest, most peaceful fishing village that is now almost unrecognizable. We left that and went HOME to a quaint little part of the state, and it seems we have been found here, too. I heard yesterday a developer bought up some timberland to build a golfing community. That's how it started before. I am about out of places to run.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:33 AM

lol delaney, you and the rest of the lifelong-generation residents of NC should start a petition to throw the rest of us out and not let anyone else in. I will leave willingly of course, and you'd be doing me a favor, but then you could have your state back.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:35 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,405,160 times
well, if we go down that road only the Native Americans will be left, so begrudgingly I am leaving my childhood home!
I'm sure you are all familiar with Billy Joel, the voice of "old" NY... but his songs reflect not jsut how we Long Islanders feel, they apply to many people, for example,
Downeaster Alexa...

Well I'm on the Downeaster "Alexa"
And I'm cruising through Block Island Sound
I have charted a course to the Vineyard
But tonight I am Nantucket bound

We took on diesel back in Montauk yesterday
And left this morning from the bell in Gardiner's Bay
Like all the locals here I've had to sell my home
Too proud to leave I worked my fingers to the bone

So I could own my Downeaster "Alexa"
And I go where the ocean is deep
There are giants out there in the canyons
And a good captain can't fall asleep

I've got bills to pay and children who need clothes
I know there's fish out there but where God only knows
They say these waters aren't what they used to be
But I've got people back on land who count on me

So if you see my Downeaster "Alexa"
And if you work with the rod and the reel
Tell my wife I am 'trolling Atlantis
And I still have my hands on the wheel

Now I drive my Downeaster "Alexa"
More and more miles from shore every year
Since they tell me I can't sell no stripers
And there's no luck in swordfishing here.

I was a bayman like my father was before
Can't make a living as a bayman anymore
There ain't much future for a man who works the sea
But there ain't no island left for islanders like me

Old 04-23-2006, 06:18 PM

Well I certainly hope you realize that I was joking. Except for the part about NC being overrated and that I'm leaving. I can think of few other song/proverbs that I believe apply even more:

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence;

and

Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'till its gone

Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 PM

192 posts, read 593,135 times
i'm informed....

Just wanted to say I have really enjoyed your posts, on this thread. You've added some awesome insights. I think they add a unique perspective of great value...to those looking for the "promised land" & the lifelong NC's like me too.

Additionally, I really empathize with how you're mourning how much your family has missed (away from family) during your time here. No doubt, it seemed the right decision at the time. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your upcoming move HOME & wishing you lots of good times with family & old friends! I know you're greatly looking forward to it!

Old 04-23-2006, 07:14 PM

Thank you very much. If there is one thing I can say I like about North Carolina, it's that most of the "natives", though they don't always like to show it, are very friendly and welcoming. It's obvious you are one of them.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 PM

192 posts, read 593,135 times
Thank you kindly!

Old 04-24-2006, 05:38 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,405,160 times
Default hey informed

I knew you were joking
I think many of us wish we could stay put, & know our kids will choose to live near us too... it rarely seems to work like that nowadays. That is bad for ALL of us

I have some extended family in NC- transplants form 15 years agao. They love their life but still consider NY "home" However, tehir kids married locals & none of them is going back North! They are in NC for the long haul. The rest of my family , or at least most of it, are considering relocating down to NC.
The saddest thing about life on Long Island now is that both parents are usually working 40-50 hour weeks, so the the weekends are catch-up time in a way that does not allow for the family socializing with cousins that I had as a child. I am tearing my kids away from seeing their cousins once or twice a year. Their cousins all live 5 - 10 miles away.
My relatives in NC have big informal gatherings every 5-6 weeks. Yes, they work hard but somehow the lifestyle is more conducive to making some time for family.

We are definitely looking forward to a big new house, but what good is it if you have no time to enjoy it? We are most looking forward to having more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or