Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 09:45 AM

17 posts, read 54,964 times

Advertisements

I'm also from NJ but moved to fl after a divorce 15 years ago. I'm ready to move back but can't afford NJ anymore. I hate FL. I'm thinking about Matthews (charlotte area), King (raleigh area) or wilmington. I also have a 10 year old and need good schools. Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
What kind of incentives did you do? We are looking at brand new construction also. We are right in with all you guys, going with no
job! Glad we are not the only ones.
The builder is offering incentives to use their lender. Approximately $10k off the house price plus reduced closing cost etc.. We'll have to see if it's all worth it when the figures are produced.

I've been lucky in the fact that I worked out an agreement to telecommute. Even if it's only for 3 or 4 months then it'll be worth it to settle in and look for work but hopefully it will work out long term. I like the company that I'm at and hate to lose all me experience to start over again.

The selling phase sucks. We just went on the market last week and we're already stressed and wonder why it hasn't sold yet, lol... Had 4 showings though so hopefully it will move quickly.

Mark

Old 04-24-2006, 10:26 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,829,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
The builder is offering incentives to use their lender. Approximately $10k off the house price plus reduced closing cost etc.. We'll have to see if it's all worth it when the figures are produced.

I've been lucky in the fact that I worked out an agreement to telecommute. Even if it's only for 3 or 4 months then it'll be worth it to settle in and look for work but hopefully it will work out long term. I like the company that I'm at and hate to lose all me experience to start over again.

The selling phase sucks. We just went on the market last week and we're already stressed and wonder why it hasn't sold yet, lol... Had 4 showings though so hopefully it will move quickly.

Mark
Thanks Mark. I was curious as I had read that they would upgrade kithen counters or add an additional driveway etc. Just wondered what you were looking at.

I agree, the selling phase sucks! We just had our 7th or 8th open house last Saturday. We have seen 3 homes go up for sale in our track after ours and sell right away. But, we are also priced at about $100,000 more as we just spent the last 4 years on a 700 sq foot room addition, bath and kitchen re-do's also. We have almost 1/4 of an acre and RV parking so hope someone with a boat or RV will purchase it. It's just been a little over 2 months and just read in the paper it's taking about 5! We are hoping not. Supposedly if you bury a St. Joseph statue upside down in your yard the house is suppose to sell quickly. My husband is just about to make a trip to the Catholic book store! LOL Good luck on the selling.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:52 AM

79 posts, read 263,929 times
My wife and I are closing on a house outside of Raleigh on Thursday the 27th. It is in Johnston co. as we feel wake co. schools are really having a hard time keeping up with the influx of kids. We are one of the familys being "squeezed" out of NY because we are a single income family and just can't afford it here anymore. I refuse to have my wife work full time and have our kids raised by babysitters, where is the "quality of life" in that situation? Because of this I feel stressed to no end. We started really looking into moving after a trip to disney in FL (our first family vacation ever, my kids were 8 and 4 at the time) We noticed how nice and generally how happy the people were who didnt live in NY, how the roads were nicely maintained and free of litter. We ruled out FL because of school issues and discovered the Raleigh area, went for a visit this time last year and loved it. We spent our Honeymoon on the outerbanks in a rented RV 10 years ago and always said we would love to move there. We were still undecided until this winter, our taxes went up another $800 and i got hit with $800 in LIPA bills for 3 months of electric service in the middle of winter, that is electric only as we have oil heat in the house. Thats when everything hit us like a ton of bricks, we kinda relized that we were never going to be able to pay off this mortgage and "own" our house, some bank would always own this house. We got serious on house hunting in NC, we figured out how much house we could afford to buy with-out a mortgage after the sale of our house and stuck to those numbers (around $200,00). We found a great subdivision with the elementry school and middle school right inside the subdivision and the high school is only about 2 miles down the road. We put in a offer on a house that was accepted, it was newly completed and was one of the last 2 houses for sale on the street. The subdivision has everything you would want in a "perfect little village", atheltic club, golf course 3 pools (one in-door, one with a water-slide and one with a kids splash play-set) it has miles of jogging-walking-biking paths and the list goes on.

OK here's the point I'm trying to get to, the guy "i'minformed" who is going back to NY to be near family, I totally respect that and understand it, but some people really have no choice but to look for the greener pastures. We could definitely stay here in NY near our familys but we are just generally un-happy. We can stay and survive but we will not thrive. We will never own our house, we will live in constant fear of me losing my job (I work for Verizon and they are trying thier hardest to break up the unions) The middle class is fast becoming an endangered species. My wife and I are just trying to ensure the future well being of our family. If we own our house, I can go work anywhere basically and be able to pay the bills. Unfortunatly we have to move away from our familys to do this but we are doing what we have to do.

Last edited by williamj67; 04-25-2006 at 03:01 AM..

Old 04-25-2006, 08:08 AM

889 posts, read 3,117,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseymom
Mvn2nc,
I'll be moving in June, but have already closed on my house in Union County. How about yourself? North of Charlotte like Markh?

What part of CA are you in? My husband just turned down a good offer in San Diego. We are actually better off going to NC WITHOUT a job then we would be in San Diego with one. Isn't that crazy? Real Estate here in Jersey is almost as bad as where you are. Can't wait to leave.
Jerseymom, We just got back last night and are purchasing a house that has yet to be built. We are exited and anxious at the same time. We are also heading that way in June w/out jobs as well but money from the house will take care of us for the short term.
We live on the Monterey Peninsula which is beautiful but expensive. It's been my home forever but it's just out of control to move on up around here. The incentive also for us is that my son relocated to NC a few years ago .
We will be in Mooresville, NC.What about you?????

Old 04-25-2006, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
We're in the same boat moving from Mass.

NC with no job > Mass. with job.

Go figure.

Same situation as us

Old 04-25-2006, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
What kind of incentives did you do? We are looking at brand new construction also. Or a home no older than 2000, we just spent 4 years redoing our home, living in dust. No more, I just want to paint and move in. We have been looking on the internet and can't do anything until we sell our home here (So Cal). We are right in with all you guys, going with no job! Glad we are not the only ones.
Another one going w/out a job. Maby we all need to get together and dicuss why we are all so crazy!!!!!

Old 04-25-2006, 09:02 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
It would seem that we're crazy, right?
My husband was laid off the week that I had my 3rd baby. So, as Williamj67 said, some of us have no choice but to leave everything we've known-as well as our families. I am thankful that we're in a position (as I think most of you are) to make enough money on our homes to move and have a little cushion. Hey, something good has to come out of the insane prices of homes.

William's post about NY is also true in NJ. It's becoming a state with 2 distinct classes of people.

And for all who talk about the great jobs here-yes there are many opportunities. But no one talks about the horrendous commute most people have to make. I used to be lucky if my husband was home to have dinner with us once a week. And don't get me started on the cost of commuting, NY taxes in addition to NJ, parking in NY, etc......
Not a great way of life, in my opinion.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:06 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
mvn2nc,
I'll be moving to Stallings/Matthews. It's in Union County.
I'd go tomorrow, if I could!

Old 04-25-2006, 03:47 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Mvn2nc~

Congratulations on your home purchase. And I'm sure that it's a bittersweet thing leaving the Monterey area (we had our honeymoon there).

Our favorite restaurant wasn't some hoidy toidy establishment on Cannery Row; it was Archies, just a block up from the aquarium. Best garlic fries ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina