U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2006, 09:33 AM

543 posts, read 1,635,908 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm from Mass also and have been contemplating a move to the Charlotte area for about a year.

So much to think about with family, friends and careers being established here in Mass.

I'm doing some soul searching to determine my real reasons for wanting to move south.

Is it just money? Life style change? Cost of living? Weather? Environment?

How would having the same type of job affect the reasons for your move?

Would a decrease in pay for the same amount of hours work for you?

What would happen if your job search wasn't so ambitious and you could make a decent salary using subset of your experience? Would that meet with your goals for wanting to move?

Just food for thought, but for me, I want to move for all the above reasons above, to get out of having a big mortgage, to simplify my life, to not have to shovel snow anymore.

Can I accomplish my goals? Hmmm.. Depends on what lifestyle changes I'm willing to make I guess.

Big house in a fancy neighborhood might put me in the same boat as here, would probably have to make a big salary to cover my expenses. Not so sure that would simplify my life, when you take into account the salary differences and cost of living/housing differences, it'd probably be about the same.

Modest house in a nice neighborhood, would probably be more realistic for meeting my goals. Could I do that here? Probably but the weather certainly wouldn't change..

It'd sure be nice if my employer were to transfer me, but it's not going to happen so we have to do it on our own.

I'm sure there are other folks out there that have faced these things, tell us how it worked out for you and what helped you make the decision?

Are there other lurkers out there that are contemplating a move but can't quite get there yet?

Thanks -Mark
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2006, 12:39 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,405,788 times
We are in the midst of such a move. My husband is there already. We will be renting. We will be buying a house for foughly what we get out of our house here + same mortgage. This will result in amuch lower cost of living, plus a bigger nicer house. On paper we can afford a much better house down there but then we would have to continue to work too hard to pay for it, defeating the purpose of the move.

We are relocating ourselves. It isn't as hard as you would think... down there they are so used to newcomers, getting an apartment and changing over the insurance & all that has been a snap.
We eased into this idea by vacationing on the ourter banks a few times, tacking on a few days in Raleigh to house hunt, eat in the restuarants, check out the shopping, etc.
I know we will be facing problems, that is life, isn't it? But, crippling taxes & overcrowding won't be the issue that they are in NY.
The last straw for us was in December, our taxes went up, again, & also the cost of my husband's commute. So when an offer came through, he jumped.

Old 03-25-2006, 09:22 PM

61 posts, read 219,438 times
Mark,

My wife and I moved from NJ to the Greensboro area of NC in 2005. I transferred with my job, took a slight pay cut, but am still ahead of the game. You will do much better here financially when you figure what your property taxes and car insurance cost you annually. My taxes were $4000/yr on a condo in NJ. Here in NC, my taxes on a brand new 2500 sq ft house is $1600/yr. I also cut my car insurance from $3000/yr in Jersey to $1300yr in NC for two vehicles. I also have a 7 month old daughter. I couldn't even imagine supporting a child living in NJ with all the expenses there. The climate here is much better too. You still have four distinct seasons, but they are nothing like the Northeast. It is more laid back here, less stressful. The traffic is tolerable, and the people down south are friendlier also. It was a win win for my wife and I. Good luck to you.

Alex

Old 03-27-2006, 06:49 AM

Thanks all for the insight so far.

My bummer is that this is voluntary for us. I wish my company were moving !!

I hear you guys on the taxes, ours just jumped to over $5500 per year and we live in this cow town and don't even have a grocery store or a gas station.

Keep the stories coming, love to hear of others success.

Mark

Old 03-27-2006, 09:32 PM

Wink to Mark

We waited for years for the opportunity to come up where my husband's company would relocate him. It never worked out. Then we realized, why sit & wait for life to happen?
Do I wish someone else was paying for this, & arranging it, & packing & moving us? Sure, but not enough to give up a chance to improve our lives.
Like I wrote before, it is really easy to get an apt down there, you don't have to give 3 months rent + security like in NY! And, people in the related industries like insurance are really helpful & give lots of guidance.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:22 PM
nj5

1 posts, read 1,656 times
i am contemplating the same move to the charlotte area - my concerns are the same -
I know the housing, car insurance and realestate taxes will be lower, but will my standard of living be lower as well ?
do you get what you pay for ?
right now I pay 8,000 in prop taxes, 3 000 in car insurance and because I am a small business owner I also pay about 9,000 in business insurance, and that doesn't even include health care. How do I know what area to even look into

Old 03-30-2006, 04:28 AM

Good for you NYer, we're almost there, having an appraisal done this weekend and then attempting to move forward. Scares me how many northerners are moving south. Which area are you guys looking at?

We were hoping to do a move out here, move in there type of scenario but after getting limited response from some of the builders websites we started calling and were a little surprised that the inventory of new homes appears to be somewhat limited and that even when pre-purchasing they're talking 6 to 8 months to complete a home.

nj5-- I hear you, we have the same dilemna here, expensive everything!! We've been mostly looking in the Huntersville/Cornelius area since we have friends who live down there. We can call them and have them check out neighborhoods and houses for us.

Good luck in your search..

Old 03-30-2006, 09:54 AM

We are going to the Raleigh area... my husband is in a small apt in Cary now. Of course small means 1 bedroom, tennis & pool, for about as much as his commute cost him up here! (so, we are not behind financially, even with maintaining hte 2 households during the transition!)

Old 03-31-2006, 07:55 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,355,290 times
nj5,
My family is moving to the Charlotte area in June. We are going to a town called Mathews in Union County. I've done a lot of research and the trade off for lower taxes doesn't seem like a big one. I am paying $7,000 now and will be paying $1300. The houses are all fairly new and seem to be built much better (for the price) than here in Jersey. I know that there is an automobile tax you pay yearly, but not sure how much-maybe a resident could inform us? Also, I've heard the schools don't automatically pay for everything such as sports equipment and uniforms & coaching is on a volunteer basis-that kind of thing. Doesn't seem to be a big deal to me and I have 3 young children. I haven't really heard or read any other negatives. We are going down to start a business and have spoken to many business owners in the area who've given us a lot of great feedback. Good Luck!

Old 03-31-2006, 08:01 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,355,290 times
Default Same deal...

Nyer,
I am in the same situation as you. My husband got so tired of commuting for years, we just wanted to change our lives. We also would have loved to have our relocation payed for-but it didn't work out that way. I know what you mean about maintaining the two homes. We close down there in April and here in June.
When are you joining your husband? Must not be easy to be apart for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or