U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:51 PM

2,640 posts, read 6,060,933 times

Advertisements

^ True. And while I agree the comment is unbecoming of a governor, I wonder if anifani and others who criticize her show equal disdain for the legislators and voters who voted to deny basic rights to gay and unmarried couples. After all, what Bev said were merely words. Sticks and stones, on the other hand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 05:31 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ True. And while I agree the comment is unbecoming of a governor, I wonder if anifani and others who criticize her show equal disdain for the legislators and voters who voted to deny basic rights to gay and unmarried couples. After all, what Bev said were merely words. Sticks and stones, on the other hand...

Social issues, believe it or not, will not fix our economic downfalls. Focus on creating jobs and getting our fiscal house on track and then we should have some time for this social nonsense.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:53 AM

28,381 posts, read 61,736,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Focus on creating jobs and getting our fiscal house on track and then we should have some time for this social nonsense.
Fair enough... but this is why so many are so perplexed that the R legislature didn't kill this bit of social issue, time and money wasting, counter productive nonsense before it even got to the floor (you know the issue that prompted the comparison comment?) and instead focus on those " fiscal house on track" matters that might actually draw investment and jobs to NC rather than something that actually discourages that.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Oh good grief. I have publicly stated on this forum (and elsewhere) numerous times that it is our responsibility as citizens to make sure the Civil Rights of all citizens are protected. I support gay couples being recognized as married, being able to adopt children, having all IRS tax breaks, benefits, etc as any other couple who decides to enter into the contract of marriage. The problem with this amendment was wording and that it attempts to exclude civil unions from being recognized in this state. I am not going to rehash that. I have outlined my thoughts many times in the Charlotte forum.

Name calling may be amusing coming out of Bill Maher's mouth, but elected officials are supposed to lead, find compromise, and bring people together to reach goals.

Bev failed to make the folks of NC understand this amendment and that falls on HER shoulders as Governor of this state. The failure was HERS. All the trash talk can't change that fact.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:36 AM

2,640 posts, read 6,060,933 times
Sorry anifani, I don't visit the Charlotte forum often so I missed your comments. Yes, I agree the amendment's wording was terrible, but I think the bigger problem was that it was ever brought up in the first place. That's not Bev's fault.

I'm no fan of Bev at all, but to blame her for the backwards steps this state has taken in the past few years is misguided.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:49 AM

5,360 posts, read 6,489,370 times
a leader, a governor works with the legislature to shape legislation and ,if she is concerned about the state, ensures that the best situation goes forward. Gov Perdue was interested in winning points for political purposes.

And lost. Not only the vote, but the respect of the DNC, the democratic party elites, and the party. And in the year of the democratic convention being held in Charlotte, NC. when this could have brought so much overall opportunity to the state. Now the President and DNC have to slug through it or lose face.

Oh the embarrassment.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:53 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Sorry anifani, I don't visit the Charlotte forum often so I missed your comments. Yes, I agree the amendment's wording was terrible, but I think the bigger problem was that it was ever brought up in the first place. That's not Bev's fault.

I'm no fan of Bev at all, but to blame her for the backwards steps this state has taken in the past few years is misguided.
Totally understand, Arby. No offense taken.

My point about the Gov and leadership perhaps was not made as well as I hoped it would be. It is my contention that Bev spouted off her comment comparing NC and MS as a way to try to deflect from her own poor leadership as a Democrat Gov in a Presidential election year.

If we recall the events which followed the vote and then Bev's statement, we will remember that Pres Obama suddenly came out with his statement about supporting gay marriage.

Why? Why at that particular time?

it has been assumed that NC would go Democrat again in 2012. Obama has courted the NC public continually throughout his tenure, making more appearances here in one term than any Pres in the past.

As Governor, Bev is the leader of the Dem party in this state. She was expected to "deliver" the Obama vote. The amendment vote proved she did not have political control over her constituency. And, since it is a fact that most black folks in this state are registered Dem, and also a well known fact that the black community voted overall in favor of the amendment, this looked pretty bad as to how much control the Democratic party has over what they consider the "sure vote" for Obama come 2012.

Thus, Bev tried to blame shift and shame voters, cause she got the calls from party leadership saying WTH? You suck. LOL

And Pres Obama's advisors told him --you better step up and send a message to the black community that this is a Civil Rights issue and folks need to realign themselves with the party or you aren't gonna carry NC this Fall.

So my statement about leadership had much more to do with this year's Presidential election, and party political leadership, than it did with Bev's record solely as Governor.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:05 AM

21,852 posts, read 27,123,355 times
I'm surprised that Bev was least popular. I would have thought that Chris Christie would have gotten that title.

In my opinion, I think that her biggest problem is that during the current legislature's reign, she has failed to go more public about many matters.

The first act of the legislture was to submit a budget that plugged the hole by taking the annual allotment from the Golden Leaf Fund. That fund is there to assist distressed counties with funds to attract businesses. Bev vetoed it & gave the reason that those funds are for attracting businesses, therefore bringing jobs, & since the lack of jobs was causing the hole in the budget that they needed to find a different way to plug the hole. This was covered in one of the local papers where I live because it is one of those distressed counties. If she felt a need to give them a pass, when this sort of thing continued, she should have gone out & raised a stink to make the public aware.

Before the vote on Amendment One, she said that this would have a negative impact on jobs. She should have elaborated, All high level Democrats should have been out making this an issue & explaining it. There are people who would have been swayed if they understood that this could hit their pocketbooks.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:11 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,061 times
[quote=southbound_295;24782449]I'm surprised that Bev was least popular. I would have thought that Chris Christie would have gotten that title.

Then luckly for you Chris did not run for the presidency - I believe he would strip the title from Oblamer.
Chris is a Leader not a Cry Baby. NC needs someone like him to fix our problems.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:41 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,627,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Before the vote on Amendment One, she said that this would have a negative impact on jobs. She should have elaborated.
I was surprised when she made that statement considering our neighbors Virginia (2004) and South Carolina (2006) both amended their constitutions long ago without any negative impact on attracting new businesses to their states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina