U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 04:43 PM

6 posts, read 10,575 times

Advertisements

Found a little questionnaire, thought Id utilize it.
What city are you moving from? I am originally from Pa, small town, but I am coming from Italy(Active duty Military ) transitioning back into civilian society

Why are you moving? Wanna be at the half way point for family in the north, and family in the south What don't you like? Pa winters...nuff said

Why do you think NC may be better for you? Mostly the family thing, I like the country, beach mountains, city...I like being able to drive about 2 hours or so and see all of the above during the trip.

What is your housing budget? Looking to rent about 975 max monthly

What do you want in a school system? ...decent education, security,

How far are you willing to drive for work? about a half hour 45 minutes

Do you want a yard?def a yard Do you want open spaces? would be nice

Do you want to rent or buy?rent House or apartment? house

In which field(s) will you be looking for a job? Looking to be near either Bragg, or camp lejeune

Not looking for a backwards racist good ol boy town, then again dont wanna be knee deep in saggy pants and bass drum blasting car speakers either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,468,882 times
As somebody who has spent the last 4 1/2 years near Jacksonville... I wouldn't recommend this area AT ALL. I've made myself pretty clear in other posts that I think Jacksonville is a cultural void with very little worthwhile to do unless you're willing to travel an hour in any given direction.

My experiences with Fayetteville (Ft Bragg) have been more positive- but I've never actually lived there, only visited. Fayetteville seems to have been somewhat more successful with their 'downtown rejuvenation' projects than Jacksonville, the topography of the area is far prettier than Jacksonville, and you're a lot closer to Raleigh for entertainment/cultural activities.

With that said however, if you don't want to be right in Fayetteville itself, an option could be Smithfield which is exactly 47 miles (47 minutes or less) straight up I-95. My husband's best friend is originally from the Smithfield area and there are a LOT of nice properties that I've seen out that way.

I would certainly think it would be a better option than Chinquapin

Old 06-22-2012, 06:02 AM

361 posts, read 490,904 times
As you're transitioning back into civilian life, will you still be working on a base or will you be looking for work? If you're going to be looking for work, what type? That may make a difference in where you want to locate. Fuquay-Varina in the Triangle area would meet most of your criteria. It's in Wake County, so part of Wake County Public Schools (Wake County Public School System), which, despite the issues of the past few years regarding the student assignment policy, is an excellent school system. Fuquay-Varina. It's a pretty quick drive down to Fort Bragg from there; I've done this drive many times, and for me, it's easier getting to Bragg than getting to the north side of Raleigh, which is in the same county! Wake County is about 2-2.5 hours to the beach and about 3-3.5 hours to the mountains. Keep in mind North Carolina is a long state, east to west, there's no way you can go mountains-to-beach in two hours. I've done Boone (northern part of the mountains)-to-Wilmington (southern part of the beach) in one day, and it was one of the longest drives I've ever done without crossing any state borders!

Good luck with your move, and thank you for your service!

Old 06-22-2012, 08:11 AM

11,216 posts, read 19,618,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrockarolla View Post
In which field(s) will you be looking for a job? Looking to be near either Bragg, or camp lejeune
If you look into Camp Lejeune, you will be close to plenty of beach towns, however you will be 5-6 hours from mountains, and the roads are not great until you hit I-40. I suggest Swansboro, Hubert or Richlands if you locate a job in the area. However, be aware that the Marines plan to be down-sizing an the job picture may get worse.

I like the suggestion to look at Fuquay-Varina, but it depends on what job you need to find.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM

The other negative thing about the area surrounding Camp Lejeune, is that it's relatively more expensive than inland North Carolina. Partly due to the proximity of the coast, partly due to the Marine Corps Base (housing prices reflect the Marine Corps BAH so they're grossly overpriced).

You'd definitely be better off further inland. I still think Smithfield surrounds may be a pick, but Fuquay Varina may be good too as GoldenAge1 suggested.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 PM

102 posts, read 279,149 times
I'm an NC native, and I will caution you about one thing. You may be escaping brutal winter weather, but summer here can be miserable. Here is my ten day forecast, just to show you what I mean:

Thursday- 97
Friday- 105
Saturday- 105
Sunday-104
Monday- 102
Tuesday- 97
Wednesday- 95
Thursday- 94
Friday- 92

Those numbers don't factor in the humidity, dew point, and heat index. It may be close to 120 on those days where the high is 105. If you're coming down here, prepare to be hot in the summer (depending on where you move). If you live in the high mountains, it won't get that hot.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 PM

Although today was alright, last week was AWFUL. So dismal hot... the heat index here was about 99/100 and sooooo humid Disgusting! Step outside for 2 minutes and you sweat!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:29 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,609,302 times
Temperature- The most important single influence contributing to the variability of North Carolina climate is altitude. In all seasons of the year, the average temperature varies more than 20 degrees Fahrenheit ( F) from the lower coast to the highest elevations.

National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)
Asheville, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina