U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 AM

5,660 posts, read 17,967,940 times
Default Sandhills Employment

It looks like Chatham County might be your best bet for employment in the Sandhills. The counties included in this region are Cumberland, Harnett, Lee, Moore, Richmond, Scotland, Hoke, Robeson, Chatham,and Montgomery. I'd look around Pittsboro and Siler City.

Unemployment Rate (May 2012)

Cumberland County - 9.9%
Harnett County - 10.6%
Lee County - 11.6%
Moore County - 8.6%
Richmond County - 12.3%
Scotland County - 16.9%
Hoke County - 9.2%
Robeson County - 12.9%
Chatham County - 7.1%
Montgomery County - 11.5%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 PM

3,676 posts, read 2,585,414 times
I think it would be a huge culture shock for you to be anywhere in NC except the Triangle or Charlotte areas. Pinehurst is very nice for golfers, but there's not a lot of other industry and it's a really small population with the whole of Moore County (including Pinehurst and Southern Pines) having a population of 88,569.

Check out Apex, Cary or Holly Springs if you don't mind being a little bit farther from your friend in Rockingham. Otherwise you might consider some of the outlying areas around Charlotte like Matthews which would be about an hour from Rockingham. There are plenty of affluent areas around the Triangle and Charlotte.

(BTW, I have to quibble with Wikipedia on the counties in the Sandhills. Pittsboro is definitely not in the Sandhills — it's in the Piedmont — and I can't think of an area of Chatham that is in the Sandhills, although perhaps in the very southern part of the county? I grew up in the Sandhills, btw, and live in Chapel Hill now. I could see Lee County and Sanford being in the Sandhills, but I'm pretty familiar with Chatham at least as far SW as Bonlee and I wouldn't characterize it as Sandhills. Here's a map that agrees with me! http://www.unc.edu/courses/2008ss2/g...Regions_NC.gif)

Old 07-04-2012, 09:30 PM

7,920 posts, read 9,401,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet Bravo View Post
I've never lived in Florida, so I can't really compare the weather, but I can say that our summers are hell; summer temps can reach 100 in July and August, and with our high humidity, the heat index ("feels like" temp) can hit 110 to 115.
I live in both NC and FL. If NC Summers are Hell, then FL Summers must define its more humid basement. NC Summers are much more tolerable and much, much shorter. In much of Florida, the "Summer" doesn't end until late October. In South Florida, the "Summer" doesn't end sometimes until mid November.

A huge difference between NC and FL is that there are little or no "breaks" in FL Summers. There are few/no relief days when the daytime high is mild and evenings are pleasant. It's always hot and humid, day and night for months, especially in South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina