Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:30 AM

13 posts, read 46,616 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Mt. Airy/Lowgap/Dobson area in the near future. After reading many of the online forum information and looking at the real estate, I'm wondering about cellphone service and high speed internet. Is there cellphone service and if so, is there a preferred/best service for that area? Same for high speed internet. There seems to be very little mention of either.

Also, we love baseball. Are there any single A, double A, or triple A affiliated teams within reasonable driving distance?
Thanks for any information you can share,
Nereid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,337 times
I moved to Mount Airy six months ago from Pennsylvania, and yes, there is cell phone service, although not Verizon, there are no towers around here for that provider. I have Cingular and haven't had any problems with their service at all.

They also have Time Warner Cable and High Speed Internet.

As for the baseball, I don't know.

This is a really nice area to live in, the people are friendly and the town is wonderful.

Good luck in your move.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:57 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,402 times
I know a bit about Mt. Airy, as I am from the next county north in Va, Carroll County. Mt. Airy has a neat, quaint downtown. It has a small (very small mall), mayberry Mall. There is a good selection of restaurants for an area its size. You are a very easy drive to Winston Salem. (Population 200 thousand or so). There you will find the Winston Salem Warthogs (single A), and in Greensboro, the Grasshoppers play in a new stadium. The grasshoppers are AA I think.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:05 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,745 times
Burlington Royals and the Hickory Crawdads are each about 85 miles.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:11 PM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,277 times
Default Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven2149 View Post
There you will find the Winston Salem Warthogs (single A), and in Greensboro, the Grasshoppers play in a new stadium. The grasshoppers are AA I think.

The Grasshoppers are also a class A team (low-A at that), but the new stadium is AA level. Greensboro will probably pick up a AA team in a few years.

There is plenty of minor league baseball in NC. Teams I can think of are Charlotte and Durham AAA, Raleigh (actually Zebulon) AA, and single A in Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Kannapolis, Hickory, Asheville, and rookie ball in Burlington.

There are also some strong youth leagues in the Piedmont (at least I know there are in the Greensboro area) if people are looking for that.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,227 times
Default Info on the real Mt. Airy

I am thinking about relocating to Mt Airy. No, I am not sitting here daydreaming about whether or not it is like Mayberry. What I would like to know is, is there a place for someone who wants to pursue art and music? Does anyone know if a gallery is hiring? Are there any bands that are looking for a bass player? I live in NC now but am getting tired of watching the mountains turn into gated communities. I just would like a more relaxed pace. Thank you in advance.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:37 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluridger View Post
I am thinking about relocating to Mt Airy. No, I am not sitting here daydreaming about whether or not it is like Mayberry. What I would like to know is, is there a place for someone who wants to pursue art and music? Does anyone know if a gallery is hiring? Are there any bands that are looking for a bass player? I live in NC now but am getting tired of watching the mountains turn into gated communities. I just would like a more relaxed pace. Thank you in advance.
You may want to consider going over the state line to either Floyd, Hillsville or Galax, Virginia. These are all wonderful little towns rich in music. If you aren't familiar with them you may be very pleasantly surprised

Old 10-06-2007, 10:30 AM

713 posts, read 3,928,850 times
Smile A little music info

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluridger View Post
Most of the art places along main street are small stores.

You might want to get in touch with the Surry Arts Council.

I know it is very active.

My wife and I are both from the Mount Airy area and still love the area. We still own some land there and are thinking of building on it if we ever tire of the beach area.

I actually lived on Pine Street and our former home is now the Sobotta Manor B&B which was just rated as one of the top B&Bs in the country. The new owners have done a wonderful job.

We have some friends from the coast who go to Mount Airy twelve or thirteen weekends out of the year. They absolutely love the Mountain Music events that happen on Saturday morning.

Hope Mount Airy works out for you. It is a nice relaxed place with convenient services.

-David Sobotta

Last edited by dsobotta; 10-06-2007 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 10-08-2007, 04:42 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You may want to consider going over the state line to either Floyd, Hillsville or Galax, Virginia. These are all wonderful little towns rich in music. If you aren't familiar with them you may be very pleasantly surprised
My wife, daughter and I were up in Roanoke for a weekend over the last weekend of July. We took the Blue Ridge Parkway back for a change of pace and drove through Floyd during their big music festival. Wow, that thing had a huge turnout! I had seen a few fliers for the event and it didn't seem like something that would attract so many people so I was surprised to see that there were three separate encampments, each with it's own mass.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:27 AM

68 posts, read 211,178 times
Floyd Va, is very Artsy. I've been told that it was home to a lot of hippies back in the 60's. Hence all the 'art fests'.
US Cellular is pretty much the only reliable cell service in that area (surry county). It is $$$ as well as expect dropped calls. Sprint is available, but call service is very spotty.
The job market is rough in Surry county due to all the factory closings over the last few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina