Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 AM

9 posts, read 13,770 times

Advertisements

I lived in McColl for a couple of years in the early 90's, and of course Laurinburg is right there. I always liked that town. Quiet, laid back, good people. Not as materialistic as, say, Dallas/Ft Worth, which is good since the economy there isn't exactly booming. If the Campbells Soup factory ever shut down I think Laurinburg would die out. I retired from the military and my 21 y/o daughter lives there so in a few months I'll be moving to be near her and my grandbaby forever. I was there a few weeks ago for the first time in many years and it hasn't changed a bit. Trying to find a decent house to rent from behind my computer in Texas until I get settled in to my new life and am ready to buy is near impossible, though. But I always kind of considered that area my second home so it will be nice to live there again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,562 times
This website is intended to help provide some local insights into Scotland County. ScotlandCounty Basics
For more information, please contact The [SIZE=3]Laurinburg/Scotland County Area Chamber of Commerce * [/SIZE][SIZE=3]606 Atkinson St, * Laurinburg NC, 28352 * [/SIZE][SIZE=3](910) 276-7420[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Yes, we have our short comings and challenges like everyone else and we also have some very warm and carrying citizens like every other place. It's been my observation that in many cases people seem to gravitate to their own kind. If you've had some unpleasant experiences, and I don't have any doubts that you haven't. One of our local leaders have a saying that seems to hold true in many cases. "positive follows positive" and the contrary seems to hold up pretty well also. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]As you travel through life why not give some thought to the following words as they may apply. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]"Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into places of pain, to share in brokenness, fear, confusion and anguish.

Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely, to weep with those in tears. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable and powerless with the powerless. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Compassion is not a bending towards the underprivileged from a privileged position; it is not a reaching out from on high to those who are less fortunate below; it is not a gesture of sympathy, or pity, for those who fail to make it in the upward pull. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]On the contrary compassion means going directly to those people and places where suffering is most acute and building a home there." Henri Nouwen

[/SIZE]

Old 02-25-2014, 05:25 PM

30 posts, read 45,450 times
Hello, I would like to know is Lauringburg is A safe place to live because I have children? I'm looking to relocate.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:11 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by childofGod37 View Post
Hello, I would like to know is Lauringburg is A safe place to live because I have children? I'm looking to relocate.
I think you can draw your own conclusions from the City-Data profile on Laurinburg. The C-D 2011 crime index was 663, compared to the national average of 319. That's over twice the national average. This includes 7 murders and 4 rapes and 51 robberies for a town of 16,000. There were 55 registered sex offenders.

The data is about 1/3 down the page here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Laurin...-Carolina.html

Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENDAGRUBBS View Post
How true! Laurinburg is a wonderful community of people who care about each other. No we don't have all the shopping or other attractions of a big city. However, most things can be found right at home. If we feel the need for a large concert, a professional football game, a day at the beach, or a trip to the mountains it is a short drive away. Most of the time it can be a day trip. What we do have is a great sense of community. People of all ages, races, and religions are welcomed into our community every day. Many people who come here to work end up retiring here. Laurinburg is a Great Place to Live and a Great Place to Raise a Family. Anyone who wants to find the spirit of the area and makes an effort will love it here.
I'm looking into relocate and I see u say that the community is nice and the people is to.I would like to know is it safe to raise children

Old 02-25-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbnInf View Post
I lived in McColl for a couple of years in the early 90's, and of course Laurinburg is right there. I always liked that town. Quiet, laid back, good people. Not as materialistic as, say, Dallas/Ft Worth, which is good since the economy there isn't exactly booming. If the Campbells Soup factory ever shut down I think Laurinburg would die out. I retired from the military and my 21 y/o daughter lives there so in a few months I'll be moving to be near her and my grandbaby forever. I was there a few weeks ago for the first time in many years and it hasn't changed a bit. Trying to find a decent house to rent from behind my computer in Texas until I get settled in to my new life and am ready to buy is near impossible, though. But I always kind of considered that area my second home so it will be nice to live there again.
I'm looking to relocate from Dover, DE with the children is this a safe place to raise children

Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
I understand that people who live in Laurinburg can give positive impressions of their experience. I imagine there are nice neighborhoods with warm and friendly people. I don't live there, so I can only present facts.

ChildofGod37 wil need to make a living and she should consider that Laurinburg is in Scotland County. Scotland County has one of the highest unemployment rates in NC at 12.6%. Article here has the UE number: https://www.ncesc1.com/pmi/rates/Pre...ntyRates_M.pdf

It is also one of the poorest counties in North Carolina. So, unless ChildofGod37 has relatives there and can find a job, I won't recommend Laurinburg as a good place to live. There are many more prosperous areas in North Carolina that also have safe neighborhoods. I'd look for suggestions in the Charlotte or Raleigh suburbs or in Western NC if she can find a job.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,692 times
Default Excited to have moved here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by childofGod37 View Post
I have recently moved to Laurinburg and yes, I had read the statistics, but I drove down and spent a day in the county talking to people, riding around looking and getting a general "feel" for the place. Looking at statistics can make any place look better or worse than it really is. After my day of being in this county, I decided to pursue a job here. For the job interviews, I was brought back to town on two more occasions. After talking with the people and learning more, I was so excited to move here and I moved from a place with hardly no crime, but the feel of this community and the people in Laurinburg are some of the most caring people you'll ever meet. This community is full of pride and love for one another and yes, it is a small town, with issues, but no place you live is going to be perfect. This town and this community is a great place to live and I am thankful that I have the opportunity to be here. With those numbers, however, I can still honestly say, I am not afraid to walk around town at night by myself...of course, I'm aware of my surroundings, but I certainly am not afraid. I encourage you to come to Laurinburg, have lunch, check out our downtown shops, see what feeling you get when you come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina