Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 11:26 AM

8 posts, read 9,712 times

Advertisements

The train tracks that run right down the middle of Rocky Mount certaintly hinder its potential, by a ton.

If you build a small cafe there people dont want to hear trains rumbling down sitting outside. Plus its never made the downtown look good in the first place.

Wilson has a nice looking downtown because it doesnt have that.

If Rocky Mount were to be truly serious of building a legit downtown they would have to trip the tracks up and move them somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 AM

8 posts, read 9,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Yeah it's absolutely ridiculous how far out people are willing to drive to work in Raleigh. Mebane is a bedroom community of RTP now too, wtf.

Wilson is too far away to being a true bedroom community of Raleigh.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:56 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,961,964 times
Wilson is only about 40 miles from Raleigh. I've had two commutes in my life that were longer than that. You can get used to it.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:14 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,178,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Wilson is only about 40 miles from Raleigh. I've had two commutes in my life that were longer than that. You can get used to it.
Yeah compared to real metro areas it's about par for the course, but it's not as if they don't have the same exact cookie cutter housing for the same price closer to RTP. And Wilson County schools aren't exactly top tier. It just seems really quixotic.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:13 AM

50 posts, read 135,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatsandDogsRace1 View Post
The train tracks that run right down the middle of Rocky Mount certaintly hinder its potential, by a ton.

If you build a small cafe there people dont want to hear trains rumbling down sitting outside. Plus its never made the downtown look good in the first place.

Wilson has a nice looking downtown because it doesnt have that.

If Rocky Mount were to be truly serious of building a legit downtown they would have to trip the tracks up and move them somewhere else.
Goldsboro doesn't have tracks running down the middle of it...that was taken up years ago. If im correct and i may be wrong but i think the tracks were taken up by fellow Goldsboro citizens at night around 1930 or 1940..

Old 08-06-2012, 05:07 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,475,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Although Rocky Mount is in a decline or at least was, it still feels much larger than cities such as Kinston in my opinion and actually feels more urban in some spots than Greenville (if you exclude ECU, which is the most urban area in East Carolina). I've always believed Rocky Mount-Wilson should have a close connection, and I believe that day will come soon with the RTP expanding.

I composed this list just now saying which city has the most potential or doing the best out of the cities we discussed:

1. Greenville
2. Wilson
3. Goldsboro
4. Rocky Mount
5. Kinston

Would you guys agree with that?
I would agree with that order. It will probably take decades for the RTP region to become large enough to affect growth in Rocky Mt and Wilson though.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:22 PM

123 posts, read 518,833 times
Just thinking about how would a major theme park do in eastern north carolina, maybe on the I-95 corridor Wilson, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, Smithfield, Selma, or Fayetteville give me some feedback.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:12 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,226,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED83 View Post
Just thinking about how would a major theme park do in eastern north carolina, maybe on the I-95 corridor Wilson, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, Smithfield, Selma, or Fayetteville give me some feedback.
Kings Dominon and Busch Gardens is 2-3hrs away. So, probably no.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:26 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,672,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED83 View Post

Don't forget South of the Border...bigtime!

Old 06-27-2013, 06:05 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,435,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Ahaha lost it at the Snoopy theme in the mall. That about sums it up; boring and lamezo.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina