Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 09:48 PM

5 posts, read 6,958 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move to NC from Australia. We're also hoping to add to our brood and are looking to purchase health insurance before we land.

Can anyone recommend a health insurer? Also, is there a waiting period before I am eligible to receive maternity care?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 04:48 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Mom View Post
My husband and I are planning to move to NC from Australia.
Can we assume that you have employment lined up?
Can we further assume that it's with a larger organization like a uni?

If so... then they will have (less expensive) group plans and a person in their HR dept capable of explaining the ins and outs like the waiting period issues.

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a health insurer?
Follow this link, answer a few basic questions and you'll have every option available to you ranked by your preference: Health Insurance - Find Affordable Health Insurance Plans and Buy Medical Coverage Online

hth

Old 07-14-2012, 01:13 PM

47 posts, read 100,172 times
blue cross blue shield of north carolina is what my wife and i have. they offer plenty of different plans, like for instance my wife has bcbs for federal employees and i have blueadvantage1, which also covers our daughter. obviously my wife gets better rates and more coverage than i do, but the blueadvantage1 is very good, especially if theres going to be multiple people on the plan. the only time you will really pay anything out of pocket is when you go to emergency, and thats only a $100 copay, the rest is $15 copays. i think you fill out the app online now and theres maybe a 1 to 2 week waiting period before you find out if you're approved, and they only start new plans on the 1st and 15th of every month. also i think if you had health insurance prior to signing up with bcbs, then there isnt a waiting period on the maternity, but i would call to find out first.

hope this helps

Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 AM

106 posts, read 318,097 times
We're happy with BCBS. Premiums go up every year as most do, but coverage is reasonable and we've never had any problems with them paying off. We've been with BCBSNC for about 10 years.

Old 07-16-2012, 11:45 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I was unable to obtain insurance until I had a mailing/residence address in NC and a date of residence. Coverage began the 1st of the month following my approval. BCBS of NC-all done online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina