Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:19 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times

Advertisements

Perhaps, I am a NC-born and bred Yankee surrounded by other NC Yankees, but I don't know about this "drink" thing some of you guys speak of. However, I hear people say "drink" to mean "alcohol."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 01:16 PM

106 posts, read 318,155 times
From my childhood in NC:

"What would you like to drink?"
"A Coke"
"What kind"
"Sprite, Orange, Coke, whatever you have."

Old 07-09-2012, 02:25 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,417,422 times
Recip, funny you say that because I have still never heard anyone ask for a non-cola by asking for a "Coke." It sounds utterly confusing and imprecise.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Tarheelhombre, what part of NC did you grow up in and when-abouts? It may have morphed over the years as well as being a regional thing. I do hear "soda" more in the triangle now and occasionally "pop", but "pop" is definitely from transplants or kids of transplants.

"Drink" was definitely not a specific reference to alcoholic drinks. The grown-ups (not MY parents) might have a "cocktail" (think MadMen) or perhaps a glass of beer or wine, but "drink" was something to drink and not alcoholic.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:38 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
Cold drink, cokie cola, dopesy cola, co cola all equal an unspecified soft drink or whatever kind of soft drink you have, further clarified by subsequent question. Which would you like? pepsi, orange crush, or tea.

You even hear 'cold drink' in Jason Aldean song referring his "kind of party"

RC Cola equals RC Cola Mountain Dew, Cheerwine, Pepsi Cola also specific. for example.

And if someone offered you a drink it would be one of the above or water. Not alcohol. If they were offering alcohol it would be specific to the type of alcohol or cocktail. Have a beer? Something like that.

Wonder who these survey takers talked to...

Old 07-09-2012, 08:08 PM

99 posts, read 267,877 times
My family and I are all natives of NC and I've only heard it referred to "soda". I was born and raised in Raleigh, so maybe I'm not country enough. My grandparents and great grandparents were from Yancey county and I'm pretty sure they called it soda. However, I've heard of the "coke" thing, but I always thought that was deep south talk.

Now that I live in the midwest, I often hear it called "pop" and a grocery bag is called a "sack". Weird...

Old 07-10-2012, 05:29 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,943 times
In NC, Pop or Soda is referred to as "Drinks".

Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM

567 posts, read 1,012,142 times
A soda is a "drink". A cocktail is a "mix-drink" and a beer is a "beer". Native NC'er.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:38 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
I grew up in Fayetteville in the 90s. Soda or soft drinks were commonly used as a generic terms for carbonated beverages. Now "pop" was a very foreign (more Midwestern than Northern). But Fayetteville is a very diverse place in terms of people from different regions so I imagine the more precise usage caught on earlier there.

Anyone who asked for a "Coke" for a different type of soda (except a generic Coke-like soda) would have been thought kind of slow. I heard it, but mostly from uneducated older folks.

If you notice the map from 2002 shows more 'Coke' usage in the South, so that is definitely dying out. If you go to the 2002 map, it has county-level results. "Soda" usage and "Coke" usage were neck-and-neck in most urban counties in 2002. My home county of Cumberland was the only county with a big enough sample in which "soda" was more popular than "Coke."

http://www.popvssoda.com/countystats/NC-stats.html

Last edited by coped; 07-11-2012 at 02:09 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Cold drink, cokie cola, dopesy cola, co cola all equal an unspecified soft drink or whatever kind of soft drink you have, further clarified by subsequent question. Which would you like? pepsi, orange crush, or tea.

You even hear 'cold drink' in Jason Aldean song referring his "kind of party"

RC Cola equals RC Cola Mountain Dew, Cheerwine, Pepsi Cola also specific. for example.

And if someone offered you a drink it would be one of the above or water. Not alcohol. If they were offering alcohol it would be specific to the type of alcohol or cocktail. Have a beer? Something like that.

Wonder who these survey takers talked to...
It's a compilation of tweets from accounts based in these various places. It probably skews younger and more urban because that is who is on Twitter. Still, using "coke" to refer to generic soft drinks seems really old-fashioned and strange to me. I am a 30-something native NCer and have always said soda. I have never heard "dopsey cola" or "cokie cola" just "Coke" or "Co-cola" And I've heard people from most every part of the English-speaking world say "cold drink," but never to specifically refer to soft drinks.

Last edited by coped; 07-11-2012 at 01:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina