U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Who are going to vote for
Obama 51 55.43%
Romney 41 44.57%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:29 PM

38 posts, read 43,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
A big reason Obama won the last election was NC, VA and OH.

If these states go Romney, Obama is toast. Too bad they couldn't find a better candidate than Romney, though.
Romney is a very good candidate. He just isnt the ideal conservative some want.

It doesnt matter because anyone who isnt a democrat will vote for anyone over Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 10:31 PM

38 posts, read 43,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
White turnout too. Keep in mind the majority in the legislature failed to pass a voter ID law in time, so Romney has to get new voters who weren't there in 2008, and make up for the ones who aged out in the past four years. Otherwise he needs to pull in about 2/3 of the white vote to stand a chance.

African Americans only make up 11 percent of the population btw.

Nobody can really explain where Obama's votes will come this time around.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:15 PM

9 posts, read 12,334 times
I just saw the polls and Obama is tied with Romney in NC. North Carolina could go anyway right now.

Old 07-29-2012, 01:26 AM

3,271 posts, read 927,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab31 View Post
African Americans only make up 11 percent of the population btw.
This thread is about NC and it's position as a swing state, not the country as a whole. NC's black population is about 22% of the state, and they were 23% of the electorate in 2008.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 AM

1,170 posts, read 605,260 times
Let's see:

Both support NDAA
Both support the PATRIOT ACT
Both support continuing the wars
yadda
yadda
yadda

Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 AM

4,897 posts, read 5,474,962 times
Most would agree that NC became blue thanks to transplants from blue states. NC has added close to 400,000 new residents since the 2008 election. The majority of those new residents are probably left-leaning (just like the transplants before 2008). If I am correct, Obama will win 52% of NC this time based on the number of left-leaning transplants that NC has gained in only 4 years. The bad news is that these same newcomers will have no clue that Pat McCrory (republican) is actually the better man for the job of Governor. In other words, McCrory will lose yet again due to straight ticket dems.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:03 AM

1,277 posts, read 681,003 times
^ I don't know. I don't underestimate the power of the evangelicals in this state. The church will have every sIngle Christian in the church bus so fast tO vote for mitt your head would spin.

The rural NC churches are a well oiled, republican machines.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:59 PM

10,009 posts, read 4,923,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
^ I don't know. I don't underestimate the power of the evangelicals in this state. The church will have every sIngle Christian in the church bus so fast tO vote for mitt your head would spin.

The rural NC churches are a well oiled, republican machines.
I don't know there has been so much growth in Wake, Mecklenburg and Guilford counties that if they go Democratic enough they can probably take the rest of the state with them.

EDIT: On a side note I do have to wonder how many of those evangelicals will be enthusiastic to vote for a Mormon.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 07-29-2012 at 10:16 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 01:07 PM

1,644 posts, read 808,592 times
I'm going to interject a little despite being a Virginian. I grew up just across the border fairly close to Boone in Appalachia so I grew up seeing just as much as NC politics as VA. I am seeing a MASSIVE amount of similarity in NC and VA these days so I feel this gives me at least a little bit of a dog in this battle. NC...hopefully just like VA will go red this year but we are both having a problem with northeasterners moving into our states. If you talk to anyone in southwest virginia or western north carolina (both the heart of appalachia) you likely won't see many people going for Obama. However...if you go towards Raleigh-Durham or Northern VA near DC you won't find a ton of Romney/Ryan supporters. Richmond and Charlotte parallel one another as well in that they are both more southern feeling than their other counterpart cities in the state but also have a sizeable minority and transplant population which tend to vote blue. I think both states are a toss up again just like in 2008 but more of a right-leaning toss up. I believe that it will help Obama that his convention will be in Charlotte but I don't know if it will be enough to push NC blue this year again. Virginia overwhelmingly voted for republicans in 2010 and I believe NC did as well. A good sign for NC is that Bev Perdue (a native virginian) won't be running for re-election which will open up the gubernatorial seat as well. I think the GOP is primed for victory in 2012...we just have to take the opportunity and run with it. VA and NC RED IN 2012! #fingerscrossed

Old 08-15-2012, 11:45 PM

134 posts, read 174,091 times
I've been keeping track of the polls and Romney's lead is gradually increasing. I think it's a safe bet NC will go red this election. I don't know about Virginia though. That beltway has a pretty strong influence on politics in that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina