Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 7,999 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of relocating to Fayetteville from Philadelphia, PA and so could anyone tell be about this city? What is the crime like? Are there things to do? What are some nice neighborhoods? Is this a diverse Place? I'd just like to know about the place... I'm getting sick of asking questions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 01:36 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
Are you moving for a job or just because you're interested in living there? I personally don't like Fayetteville. It's a dirty, unattractive city and there does seem to be a lot of crime there.

There are many areas of NC that are much nicer and have less crime. Coastal cities, small mountain towns (though they may be too slow-paced for your liking), small communities in the Triad (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point area) and Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area) - you could have the quiet and safety of the smaller towns and still be close enough to interesting things in the bigger cities.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 7,999 times
Well, I'm actually looking for a place to retire. I'd like to relocate somewhere around Fayetteville... You know, a quiet, diverse, middle-class community. Any info would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:29 PM

586 posts, read 1,546,034 times
kscaks

I live in Fayetteville and it is a very diverse city. I moved here in 1998 and over the last few years, it has been growing due to annexation and the military. You may be happier living in one of the outer areas between Fayetteville and Moore County. There is a great article in today's paper about the BRAC (base realignment plan) which involves moving two major command units to Fort Bragg. Check out www.fayettevillenc.com (broken link) and an article entitled the "Brac competition." It talks about the counties in the area and what they have to offer. Hope this helps.

Old 09-24-2006, 07:08 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,030,382 times
I am not from fayetteville, my husband is from near there (eastover), and I would go along with the living outside of the city directly. I think it tends in some ways to be a transient city because the military personnel are only there for a certain amount of time, then move on to other assignments. My husband couldn't wait to get away from the town, but that is him! His mother's family all lives there, and they seem quite happy, very involved in their church life, and family. I have found something interesting in getting to know his family, they pretty much tend to just hang out with each other. Maybe that is just something they do, but they don't tend to spend time with people outside of their family. I just know when you move to a town you will want to be able to make friends, so hopefully it is just a quirk about my husbands family (I wouldn't put it past them!).

Good luck, let me know if you want some more inside scoop.

Leigh

Old 09-24-2006, 10:16 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
My dad lived in Raeford for awhile before he passed away. Compared to Fayetteville, it's a nice area. If I had to live near Fayetteville, Raeford would probably be the first town I looked into moving to.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:00 PM

3 posts, read 22,124 times
I moved here to Fayettevile 16 months ago from Baltimore, Maryland. Mainly because houses are much much cheaper (about half the price of Maryland). I am also retired. Compared to hectic city life, it is quiet. The crime rate is not nearly as high as in Baltimore. Car insurance is half the price. If you are looking for a lot of happenings, this is not the place for you. But if you just want peace and quiet (which is what I feel) its an Okay place to live. I've never lived anywhere else in NC, so maybe the other responders now better than me where there is a better place to live. More opinions, you can email me a Jwinkler410@aol.com.

Old 10-22-2006, 05:17 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
2005 Crime Stats

Statewide - 4,617.9 = average crime rate
Lower is better.

City of Fayetteville - 11,679.0
Cumberland County - 6,868.6

NC State Bureau of Investigation Report

http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/public/2005/Publications/2005%20Annual%20Summary%20Revised.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-22-2006, 05:31 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Summertime in Fayetteville is brutal.

Average daily highs.

July 91.9F
August 90.9F

Fayetteville also holds the record for hottest temp in the state climate history.

110F on August 21, 1983

National Weather Service Office
Fayetteville Airport

Old 10-22-2006, 05:44 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
If you've got your heart set on the Fayetteville area, I'd head to Moore County, like obe poster said. Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the Fayetteville area. A good retirement area in NC would be Hendersonville, near Asheville. There is a nice Sun City retirement community in Lancaster County, SC (outside of Charlotte).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina