Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2006, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,526 times

Advertisements

In the past 30 yrs my husband and I have had the opportunity to move many times all through business transfers. For the most part staying on the east coast From VT - FL. Recently we had been transfered to IL . Although we find the people extremly friendly and are close to downtown for events we find IL is not for us. We are at a crossroad where we are ok with the warmer climate and would like an area without the heavy duty traffic.. We are in the midst of seeking employment along home in the Concord area - diversity.
My husband is in the computer field and I will seek either non-profit or office position. We have no children, seeking an area with a decent lot.. not the .25acre range. Dont need allot of land but not to be on top of our neighbor. Husband from New England I from LI. we are both beach lovers however are not willing to pay the price to be in the Myrtle beach location. We are hearing allot about Matthews. Should we look further west of Charlotte or Lake Norman area.. Your comments greatly appreciated.. Not quite ready to retire... Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2006, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,526 times
Default How about NC Coastal Plain?

Hi, city freedom seeker...

Your situation has some similarities to ours. We are probably in the same age bracket, more or less, definitely not ready for retirement. This is my 2nd marriage, and we have no childen but I do have 3 (grown) from my first.

I can't say we've moved around a lot, but a few years ago we moved from PA to KY to be near my oldest daughter and grandaughter, now almost 6. No regrets there, and we truly love KY but somehow can't see ending our days here.

Recently, my younger daughter in PA had a baby, so now we are very torn. We talked about moving to OH to split the difference, and this has has some appeal, but more and more I long for a warmer climate and proximity to the water.

We are focusing on eastern NC, somewhere along the coastal plain...far enough inland to be affordable and out of the hurricane's eye, but close enough to be within easy driving distance of the Carolina coast and barrier islands. We think this will ensure frequent visits from friends and family. We vacationed there several times with the kids when they were younger so they have fond memories. It's also a good fit employment-wise with resort and retirement communities continually expanding along the coast. ( I am a kitchen and bath designer, and my husband is in the retail coatings business.)

We are looking primarily at small towns and surrounding areas.. Edenton, Bath, Plymouth, Washington, New Bern...very pretty and lots of historical interest.

I have been doing RE searches online and feel pretty comfident we can find what we want in terms of housing at a reasonable price. Like you, we don't want acreage but also don't want to live cheek by jowl. As you might expect, waterfront usually comes at a premium price even in smaller towns but I believe there are a lot of small inlets, creeks and other desirable locations in less developed areas.

We are probably a year or two from making a move, but it just feels right. I feel very drawn to the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina