U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:41 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,269 times

Advertisements

Pull up or pay up: North Carolina mayor pushes for ban, fine on sagging pants | Fox News

Amen Brother!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 12:06 PM

5,150 posts, read 6,638,593 times
1) The city's image is not enough to restrict someone's freedom of expression.

2) The claim that the crime rate would go down is absolute BS. While criminals might be part of the population that wears saggy pants, WEARING saggy pants is not what creates the crime.

And it's not the mayor that proposed the ordinance. It's the pro tem. Just a technical note.

Dunn leader: Pull up pants or pay :: WRAL.com is a better link since Fox links to it and it has counter-points.

On the other hand don't wear them to court Man jailed for wearing sagging pants in court - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Laws on fashion is not going to change the city image or crime rate.

Quote:
Saggy pants "is part of a culture that breeds drug sales, drug addictions, crime and murder," Robinson said. "That is not what I want for our community."

Saggy pants do not cause those wear them to commit crime. Justin Bieber wears saggy pants far as I know he not a hard core criminal.

The mayor should focus on real crime prevention in his city & create terms for city to prosper.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:13 PM

15,561 posts, read 24,894,377 times
apparantly the mayor does not have enough to do.

our mayor here in NY wants to ban a certain size soda? he is a real retard

and these are the morons we have in our government.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:47 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,626,536 times
Do black guys and the white guys imitating them even wear saggy oversized pants any more? Every kid I see these days of every race dresses like we did back in the 80s during our skateboard phase.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:55 PM

1,547 posts, read 2,169,269 times
If it dresses like a thug, talks and acts like a thug....it must be a thug or one in the making.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Do black guys and the white guys imitating them even wear saggy oversized pants any more? Every kid I see these days of every race dresses like we did back in the 80s during our skateboard phase.
I've noticed this. A lot more black kids are skateboarding these days. Back in the early 90s, at least where I'm from, it was pretty much a "white boy" think to do. But now I see groups of all races skateboarding in Southend.

On the other hand, you do still see the baggy pants on the east side and around First Ward.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:16 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,157,094 times
If you've ever been to Dunn, this wouldn't be that big of a surprise. Way to look like a backwater hick town.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:41 PM

3,738 posts, read 3,262,267 times
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard...

I hate, hate the sagging pants. But come on, banning it??? Seems very extreme to me. Go to the beach and people are walking around in bikinis... That's much more revealing than sagging pants. Or if its because it represents gang related activity, are we going to ban Cadilacs with big wheels, Rims, Shirts with Slim Shady, etc. etc.? Some gangsters wear red shirts and red colored clothes. Ban red clothes also?

This makes me so sick.... And I can hear the tea baggers now... "If people can have their pants sagging, can I walk around naked?" .... You can't reason with back waters like Mayor Dunn because of this hyperbole, over the top, "What if a Asteriod hits tomorrow" type logic...

This law is too "Big Brother" for me... Too big brother. Too much government. Yet again involved in things it shouldn't be involved in. This seems like a sugar-coated discriminatory law, in my opinion.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:48 PM

3,272 posts, read 5,410,158 times
What is considered sagging anyways? I'm a teenager myself and I refuse to wear my pants at my stomach but I also refuse to let my boxers/briefs show or have them bellow my buttocks. I keep my pants at a comfortable level for the most part, and I just wonder if I ever visited Dunn (which I probably never will) will site me for sagging because my pants aren't up to my belly button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina