Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 03:19 PM

605 posts, read 804,956 times

Advertisements

Elon University polls from November of last year saw the percentage of those who opposed gay marriage to those who were in favor of it being at 43-41, with the rest being unsure or not caring at all. That seems about right to me, I think.

However, in February of this year, Elon released another poll that showed the percentages being at 50-40! So, on this map on Wikipedia, NC went from being light blue to deep red. File:Public opinion of same-sex marriage in USA by state.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The director of the poll is saying that trends in NC are antithetical to the national trends of more and more adults being in favor of marriage equality. To me, it seems as if it all depends on who was polled, but I really don't appreciate this group of around 900 pollers representing a state of 10 million.

What are your thoughts?

Old 03-08-2014, 04:02 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
Elon University polls from November of last year saw the percentage of those who opposed gay marriage...
Don't confuse (or conflate) a level of gay "friendly" with support for gay marriage...
especially in an area with so many who allow the Church to rule so much of their lives.
Still, the referendum (during an off year and on a primary ballot) isn't conclusive of much.
Quote:
What are your thoughts?
Depends on who you ask and how and when.
Eventually this civil liberty will also become law everywhere.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:06 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,427,227 times
It is friendlier than it was a decade ago, but it is far from where so many other states are today. It is probably in the bottom 20 states on this issue. It is still a very culturally conservative and slow-moving state, although Raleigh-Durham is much more progressive than most of the state.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:21 PM

605 posts, read 804,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
It is friendlier than it was a decade ago, but it is far from where so many other states are today. It is probably in the bottom 20 states on this issue. It is still a very culturally conservative and slow-moving state, although Raleigh-Durham is much more progressive than most of the state.
Out of morbid curiosity, which states do you think would make the bottom 20 on this issue?

Old 03-08-2014, 05:55 PM

601 posts, read 964,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt View Post
Elon University polls from November of last year saw the percentage of those who opposed gay marriage to those who were in favor of it being at 43-41, with the rest being unsure or not caring at all. That seems about right to me, I think.

However, in February of this year, Elon released another poll that showed the percentages being at 50-40! So, on this map on Wikipedia, NC went from being light blue to deep red. File:Public opinion of same-sex marriage in USA by state.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The director of the poll is saying that trends in NC are antithetical to the national trends of more and more adults being in favor of marriage equality. To me, it seems as if it all depends on who was polled, but I really don't appreciate this group of around 900 pollers representing a state of 10 million.

What are your thoughts?
None of this will make a huge difference in the long run. Like with other states, NC's ban on same-sex marriage will be ruled unconstitutional, and same-sex couples will be able to marry in this state no sooner than 2020.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:59 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Mr Rational, I will try to be nicer, if you try to be smarter...or at least coherent. How can anyone see my post as ugly? Unless they want to...that pesky tolerance thing again, I guess.

Wed in HOLY MATRIMONY. Not wed in CHarlotte Matrimony, not wed in the County of Rowan Matrimony, Not Wed in FEDERAL matrimony (thank God). Wow, what people will post on the internet.

Again, if you don't agree with me, that is fine. In fact, I prefer that you don't, but I have a right to my opinion just as you do, and I am beyond tolerant in my ACTIONS.
nope, didn't see ugly. just saw an opinion.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:39 AM

277 posts, read 436,275 times
The liberal cities like Chapel hill, Asheville, major metros are more friendly. There are LGBT clubs, groups, etc. in most medium to larger sized cities. Just be prepared to run into people who don't share the same ideals, beliefs or views as you do. I don't think anyone will go out of their way to make a point about it though..except the crazies, which are everywhere.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:15 AM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
I don't think "is NC gay friendly?" a fair question. There are 10 million of us -- some in every county are accepting, some in every county aren't.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I just think that the "separate but equal" stance is nauseating.
Good!

Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Grumble, grumble, grumble.

I am not naive enough to think anyone who is fine with denying fellow taxpayers the right to the same legal protections afforded by marriage will be swayed by rational discussion.

I just think that the "separate but equal" stance is nauseating.
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina