Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times

Advertisements

Besides the historical context, I just think the flag is tacky and too "git-r-done" . I would be annoyed if my neighbor flew a rebel flag... Not because of racism but because.... John deer and camoflauge don't really fit my neighborhood...

The flag is classy when in a museum... Other than that. Too commercialized. If you wanna celebrate history, fly the originial 13 star spangled flag. Looks classy and even southern IMO...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Besides the historical context, I just think the flag is tacky and too "git-r-done" . I would be annoyed if my neighbor flew a rebel flag... Not because of racism but because.... John deer and camoflauge don't really fit my neighborhood...
Being a native Texan, I naturally have no right nor credentials to get too detailed on what or what doesn't fit your neighborhood in North Carolina. I DO however, see some of this same attitude in some upscale areas of big city Texas (almost always those full of northern transplants). To be frank, it disgusts me.

But anyway, what is so wrong with the "Southernism" of "get 'er done"? Seems to me it cuts to the melon and says let's take care of matters.

Do you have any objection to y'all? I am honestly not trying to be a smart-aleck...but I do know some self-described "educated" Southerners who really do (have an issue with it, that is *sighs*)

Camoflauge and all? Hunters wear it, as I am sure you know. Is it ok for them to do so? Would that upset the sensibilities of your neighborhood?

Quote:
The flag is classy when in a museum...
The Flags of the Confederacy (and there are MANY designs and variation on ALL of them), I wouldn't call "classy" (any of them), because that implies a certain (as you say below) "commercialized" aspect. Rather, I would say, "dignified". It represents the valor and sacrifices of our ancestors. But whether in a museum or displayed on private property, it still represents the said virtues. The term "classy" cheapens the meaning.

A Confederate officers dress uniform, with gold trim and braid and sash? THAT is "classy". The Flags that represent what they fought for is...sublime in its meaning and intent.

Quote:
If you wanna celebrate history, fly the originial 13 star spangled flag. Looks classy and even southern IMO...
I do want to celebrate history. The study of history -- if nothing else -- is the only way future generations can learn anything at all (which, of course, is never the case of ANY generation!). What is the rationale for abbreviating it?

But anyway, yes, the 13 star original (often attributed to Betsy Ross) is sure full of Southern components. Three of the stars were of Southern states , and it was mostly Southern men who wrote the DOI and the Constitution....

So why should it be limited to just one Can't many banners figure in to the emotion of pride in our American and Southern heritage? Is it contradictory to be proud of one's American, Southern, and state pride as well?

Anyway, I DO appreciate that you make your case (even if I disagree with much of the content), in civil and intelligent way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina