U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 4,131,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
I completely agree that racist whites have done a very good job in damaging the flag's image. However, more recently, the NAACP and a quite a few self-loathing whites have waged absolute war on the Confederate flag. They are absolutely trying to pervert the image of the flag. They want people to believe that the Confederate flag is nothing more than a symbol of racism. I understand that it may evoke emotions in certain people, but it is ignorant to pigeonhole the Confederate flag as a symbol of racism and nothing more. You can disagree if you want, but you'll never, ever change my stance.
No, the flag itself stands for a rebellious, treasonous, and inhumane cause. And ultimately, a defeated one at that! No one is projecting this on the flag and its supporters, it's just people seeing it as it is/was. Moreover, why do you consider it self-loathing for White people to despise the treasonous Confederacy and its flag? I think it is decency and love of the United States that compel them to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,841,317 times
We went out to breakfast with about 20 close friends recently. Conversation turned to the Democratic convention and then a little joking came about. Question was if someone were to drive uptown Charlotte during the convention with Confederate flags flying on the back of a pickup, do you think they would get through town without a problem or would they be stopped and maybe arrested. What do you think?

I don't want to be anywhere near Charlotte the week of the convention. I don't think anyone in our group did either. But it can be fun sometimes to poke a little fun. I think the conversation started by a telephone call someone got offering a "Don't tread on me" flag. Oh, that was me. I told the person on the telephone I already have the only flag I am interested in flying, the American flag. I have no problem with the other flags if someone else wants to fly them. I just think flying some of those flags could get the wrong kind of attention. I don't like trouble.

Having said that, I want to mention that the only thing the Confederate Flag represents to me is state's rights that our ancestors fought for and lost.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post

Having said that, I want to mention that the only thing the Confederate Flag represents to me is state's rights that our ancestors fought for and lost.
Not mine. Mine supported the righteous, moral, humane, and victorious side. Speak for yourself.

Old 08-25-2012, 10:12 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,841,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Not mine. Mine supported the righteous, moral, humane, and victorious side. Speak for yourself.
Seems to me we still have a problem with state's rights when we have a president that sues states trying to uphold laws the Federal government refuses to enforce. The Federal government was a bully back in the days of the War of Northern Aggression and it still is bullying those of us that want to live moral, peaceful lives without being overrun with thieves and those that rather take from others than work for themselves. That righteous you are talking about is self-righteous.

And we did lose that war. We lost the right to have prayer in schools, prevent the murder of innocent babies, etc.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Seems to me we still have a problem with state's rights when we have a president that sues states trying to uphold laws the Federal government refuses to enforce. The Federal government was a bully back in the days of the War of Northern Aggression and it still is bullying those of us that want to live moral, peaceful lives without being overrun with thieves and those that rather take from others than work for themselves. That righteous you are talking about is self-righteous.

And we did lose that war. We lost the right to have prayer in schools, prevent the murder of innocent babies, etc.
Too bad for your side that the US Supreme Court knows better and upheld the Administration's position, except for the narrow right of Arizona to check the immigration status of people police detain and suspect to be in the country illegally. Thank God for the federal government for stepping in a extinguishing immoral and evil state practices such as slavery, child labor, lynching, Jim Crow, and oppression of gays and lesbians.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:57 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,087,458 times
Quote:
No, the flag itself stands for a rebellious, treasonous, and inhumane cause. And ultimately, a defeated one at that! No one is projecting this on the flag and its supporters, it's just people seeing it as it is/was. Moreover, why do you consider it self-loathing for White people to despise the treasonous Confederacy and its flag? I think it is decency and love of the United States that compel them to do so.
First of all, which Confederate Flag are you talking about? The one most often (and I am sure you probably know this), most often discussed and debated, is just one of many "Battle Flags"...never officially adopted by the CSA government. Here is a good article on the subject:

Flags of the Confederate States of America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway, the design (Naval Jack or Army of Tennessee) was for use by the sailors and soldiers. It came into existence after the first battle of the War (Bull Run/First Manasas). The CSA nation flag was already in place (the true Stars and Bars).

Rebellion and treason? Ha. You might as well condemn our Founding Fathers in the same breath. The states of the original Confederacy (South Carolina thru Texas), did not, in any way, shape, nor form, commit "treason". This accusation and mantra is totally unfounded and borders on historical ignorance.

All they did was, by lawful and legal means, decide to seperate themselves from a political connection with the northern states. The Southern states remained totally loyal to the principles of the original Constitution (itself mostly written by Southern men), and to the Declaration of Independence.

In fact, after the issue was decided (by force of arms), and some of the high ranking Confederates were arrested and charged with "treason"? The charge was abandoned eventually, and the reason was that northern officials admitted that secession was NOT treason nor rebellion, and that to try those men in open court would "condemn the north." Here is an example:

Burke Davis, (no relation to Jeff Davis that I know of) in his book The Long Surrender on page 204, noted a quote by Chief Justice Salmon P. Chase, telling Edwin Stanton that "If you bring these leaders to trial, it will condemn the North, for by the Constitution, secession is not rebellion...His (Jeff Davis') capture was a mistake. His trial will be a greater one. We cannot convict him of treason." Burke Davis then continued on page 214, noting that a congressiona committee proposed a special court for Davis' trial, headed by Judge Franz Lieber. Davis wrote: "After studying more than 270,000 Confederate documents, seeking evidence against Davis, the court discouraged the War Department: 'Davis will be found not guilty,' Lieber reported 'and we shall stand there completely beaten'." What the radical Yankees and their lawyers were admitting among themselves (but quite obviously not for the historical record) was that they and Lincoln had just fought a war of aggression agains the Southern states and their people, a war that had taken or maimed the lives of over 600,000 Americans, both North and South, and they had not one shread of constitutional justification for having done so, nor had they any constitutional right to have impeded the Southern states when they chose to withdraw from a Union for which they were paying 83% of all the expenses, while getting precious little back for it, save insults from the North.

By the term "inhumane"? I assume this refers to the institution of slavery (the trade of which was a very profitable was a northern commodity). Naturally, no one today (or at least very, very, few) would defend slavery. However, only four Southern states (South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, and Texas) made any refererence at all to slavery as a justification for seceding. And two of those (Texas and Georgia), also gave lengthy note to the issue of unfair tariffs imposed on the Southern states and (in Texas) the failure of the federal government to live up to original obligations in the annexation treaty.

The other seven states of the CSA, said nothing at all about slavery in adopting their decided course.

But alas, the winners write the history, and the winner's history has become accepted by a sort of social osmosis over the years. Thank God for the internet, sometime, as it finally allows the Southern side to get out to the public, and expose this ridiculous morality play of "northern history books" for what they really are; an excercise in self-righteous hypocricy. Specifically, that version uses slavery as a feeble and false excuse to justify (after the fact, I might add) what was really a war of aggression against a Southern people who had did them no wrong to begin with, and only wanted to go their own way in peace.

Is any of this wrong?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:50 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,087,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
I don't want to know you, either. I don't care of you understand, I don't care if it offends you. Other people have their own culture and I have mine. I don't tell Mexicans it's wrong to display the Mexican flag; no one can tell me that I can't fly a Confederate flag. It's my protected right. It means something different to me than it does to you, and you can never take that away from me. I offer no apologies.
It is now politically correct to accept every culture on the planet except for rural white Southerners. It isn't my fault the KKK hijacked our flag; they wave the American flag, too. Should I stop displaying the American flag because of that? Upper middle class suburbanites in their comfortable little neighborhoods, isolated from the real world, constantly sh*t all over my culture and my heritage with demeaning, ignorant redneck stereotypes, mocking rural white poverty. If they said the same things about urban blacks, then it would be considered horrifyingly racist. I have no problem with anyone because of their race; I take individuals one at a time and refrain from categorizing a whole group of people souly because of the actions of an individual belonging to that group. My ancestors were Confederate soldiers, I was born in the South, and this is my flag. I don't care what you or anyone else thinks of it, and that's all I have to say.
This post deserves a STANDING OVATION!

Great job, Arkansas!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:42 AM

568 posts, read 847,199 times
Quote:
Too bad for your side that the US Supreme Court knows better and upheld the Administration's position, except for the narrow right of Arizona to check the immigration status of people police detain and suspect to be in the country illegally. Thank God for the federal government for stepping in a extinguishing immoral and evil state practices such as slavery, child labor, lynching, Jim Crow, and oppression of gays and lesbians.

How do you like your federal government now? How do you like how they waste all your tax dollars on complete bull****?

Old 09-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Self-Loathing Whites=Non-racist modernist Whites who are not stuck with the 19th century mindset of a defeated treasonous movement

Old 09-03-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
How do you like your federal government now? How do you like how they waste all your tax dollars on complete bull****?
I like it so much better than the Dixiecrats, Tea Baggers, and their ilk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina