Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:53 AM

28 posts, read 107,518 times

Advertisements

Hi! Husband and I are interested in moving to the Hickory area. Can anyone shed some light on things like job opportunities for a Neonatal ICU nurse? Also, how are your property taxes there?? I live in southern NJ and our taxes for our home on .25 acres are almost 9K a year. The traffic/congestion in this area is pretty bad. We are looking to relocate to a pretty area of the country and think that Hickory could be it. Any thoughts from the locals?? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 01:26 PM

4 posts, read 11,510 times
We retired here two years ago so I cannot help you with the employment picture. You can do a search of my posts bragging about the weather and beauty of this area. It gets a little hot in the summer but it cools off in the evenings. I always brag that it is the best weather pattern east of California. Property taxes are a fraction of what you are now paying. I always recommend people look at Grace Chapel area. It has a Hickory address and Caldwell County taxes which are even lower.
Good luck.

Old 10-02-2007, 02:02 PM

Thanks, Kitiless!! I am going to look through your prior posts to read up on your bragging of the area- cant wait!!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 PM

230 posts, read 578,757 times
Check out the Mountain View area of Hickory. Its pretty here, we like it a lot and you are still close to I40 and 321 Interstate....like 5-15 minutes.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:58 PM

219 posts, read 964,937 times
Where in NJ are you? We just left Bordentown and moved to Taylorsville, which is just north of Hickory. We love Taylorsville. DO you have children?
Melissa

Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the replies, Bobb and Mbeckoff1. I will definitely check those areas out. How are the hospitals there?? Melissa, I live near Cherry Hill and my kids are grown. I cant wait to get down there and investigate. I have heard lots of others say nice things about Taylorsville. How far would you say it is from there to Hickory?? Thanks for your helpful posts. Also, would you guys mind sharing your current property taxes ?? I cant wait to get rid of that cost here!!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,053 times
Ha!!!

Think twice or three times about moving to Hickory Or TaylorsVille.

I live in South Jersey My Self.

I decided to move to NC back in 03. It was the worst mistake I ever made!!

I lived in both Hickory and Taylorsville.

Yes, It is very nice down there, But the unemployment is Very High!!!!

I tried to get several jobs there, and I couldnt. I couldnt even get a job at McDonalds, And I Have Lot's of experience there.

I was just talking to a close friend of mine earlier today, who also lives in Hickory, and I offered her to move up here with me.

She has been everywhere trying to get a job and she just cant.

I hope this post will help you in your decision!

Also, here is a post I found in another topic on this board ...

Hickory has jobs posted, oh yes, we have applied for HUNDREDS of jobs!!! Oh also, a lot of people at the temp agency has the same problem, all educated and have applied for many, many jobs, without a call back at all. It is really tough, but we are just having patience because our son is in a wonderful school, Blackburn.

Last edited by michaelprice; 10-02-2007 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: Added Relevent Information

Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 AM

EEEEEK! That is a little concerning about the job situation. I will definitely keep that in mind!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Once again, I must post this: "why move when you dont have a job lined up?"

It is not unique to the Hickory area to not finding a job, look through the Charlotte forums, an area where it is booming with growth but people cant get jobs.

Search the forum for Hickory, and you will find lots of info. If you cant find the info you are looking for, post back and Ill answer your questions about Hickory as best I can.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:59 PM

68 posts, read 211,146 times
I'm an RN. Experienced nurses can always find a job, as long as you have a clean license, you won't have any problems. The bigger problem is your spouse. We moved here, and hubby had a job lined up. Which, he initially loved. After about the 5th year, his bosses business started to dry up. Years 5-9...no raises and the cost, where he worked for health insurance went up to over $800 a month for a family. It covered almost nothing. Needless to say, I had to pick up the insurance. He finally joined the Army, and we are in mid of relocating, back up north. I've worked as a nurse in 3 different states, it's easy to transfer your license and get a job in healthcare. It may not be the hours you want, but nursing jobs are always available to good nurses.

Yes, property taxes are cheaper here, but you will also have lower wages, higher personal income tax (low end 6%) and pay annual property tax on your car, truck, rv and boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina