U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,336 times

Advertisements

My husband and I along with 3 small children are looking to relocate around Raleigh, Greensboro, Fayettville area. We will be relocating from a very small town in Pennsylvania. I was just wondering what the job market is like in those areas. My husband does factory type work now. He is in the shipping/receiving department. Any factories or especially shipping/recieiving jobs around and what they pay hourly? Any information will be wonderful. Thanks a lot =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 03:29 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,996,302 times
I cannot speak for Greensboro (that is in the triad area) or fayetteville (sandhills area) - but the Raleigh area (the triangle) does not have a tremendous amount of manufacturing. The triangle is more IT oriented, with numerous high tech companies in the research triangle park area (RTP). The triangle area also has 3 nationally recognized universities (UNC Chapel Hill, Duke University, NC State University) plus many smaller universities (NC Central, Shaw, Meredith, Peace, ).

I have lived in greensboro, (in college) but do not know the industries there very well at all.

Fayetteville is, mostly, a military town (Fort Bragg), lots of transient people there!

Leigh

Old 08-07-2012, 06:02 PM

11,228 posts, read 19,674,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAgirl03 View Post
My husband and I along with 3 small children are looking to relocate around Raleigh, Greensboro, Fayetteville area.
Around Fayetteville, I would suggest Sanford which has a few manufacturing plants (Moen, Coty and Caterpiller, I believe). I can't quote pay rates, but my relatives tell me the pay is lower than in the Triangle. However, housing is cheap.

There seem to be many warehousing jobs in the Greensboro area, based on listings in Indeed,com .

Old 08-07-2012, 08:10 PM

197 posts, read 414,236 times
I can't offer anything but this......

When you finally relocate, don't try to change your new surroundings to your old surroundings. Learn to adopt the way of life in NC and not try to change it to your old life in PA. When you make the jump to NC....."Make the jump" !!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 PM

10,389 posts, read 19,350,719 times
NC is not much of a manufacturing state anymore. Also we are non-Union, just FYI. The Raleigh area is very high-tech; manufacturing is probably better near the Triad area (Greensboro) but while it was once big in NC, most of our former manufacturing industries--notably textiles--moved overseas. Unless there is a specific reason you HAVE to be in North Carolina, you should probably check the job markets in other states as well to keep your options open. Our unemplyment is among the highest in the nation, especially in M'facturing.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:30 AM

279 posts, read 618,899 times
I think you should buy my house in Clayton so I can move back north. You can have him check the Coca Cola distribution center in Clayton or Sysco in Smithfield. :-)

Old 08-08-2012, 05:32 AM

21,094 posts, read 23,815,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Around Fayetteville, I would suggest Sanford which has a few manufacturing plants (Moen, Coty and Caterpiller, I believe). I can't quote pay rates, but my relatives tell me the pay is lower than in the Triangle. However, housing is cheap.

There seem to be many warehousing jobs in the Greensboro area, based on listings in Indeed,com .
I also think Tyson has a plant in or near Sanford. A few people I know have relatives working at Tyson and said most were hired because of friends that were current employees. Recently THIS END UP furniture also started their manufacturing plant up again. However, I did talk with someone there in June who said they were currently very well staffed.

It may be like this at Coty and Moen? There is also a Caterpillar plant in Clayton, but it has been awhile since they have done open hiring I think.

IN short, if you move bring 6-12 months of salary or have employment lined up prior to your move.

I am currently experiencing the opposite problem...I thought I had a job in the North County, but it has not materialized and I am now looking at the reality of moving BACK to North Carolina where I have a job.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 PM

11,228 posts, read 19,674,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Around Fayetteville, I would suggest Sanford which has a few manufacturing plants (Moen, Coty and Caterpiller, I believe).
Here's a whole list of manufacturing companies in Sanford and Lee County, if you want a place to start searching for warehousing jobs: http://www.lcedc.com/documents/leemanufacturing.pdf

Old 11-17-2012, 08:41 AM

586 posts, read 1,032,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBound2012 View Post
I think you should buy my house in Clayton so I can move back north. You can have him check the Coca Cola distribution center in Clayton or Sysco in Smithfield. :-)
I loved your response, I guess this god forsaken place is not for you neither, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina