U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-10-2012, 01:42 PM

17,192 posts, read 21,839,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
...the total cost was something like $180
$35 for inspection... $50 for bulbs... $95 for the drive belt.
That's still not an outrageous number.

But what it really is.. is a missed opportunity for the mechanic to get a customer.
As is the case with too many they'l go for the short game and miss the bigger picture.
He's not only lost YOUR business... he's lost the 10 or 20 you'll talk to about him.

Quote:
...found out about a great mechanic that I can walk to from home
who will likely do the work for a much more reasonable cost.
Does he also do the state inspection?
Please come back with the alternative cost you end up paying.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 03:54 PM

11,200 posts, read 6,058,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ Well then, I stand corrected. I took a minute to look up the inspection requirements, and WFW&P is absolutely right--the power steering belt is indeed part of the inspection. I never knew that. Thanks for setting me straight!

So it appears our rogue mechanic above may be a straight shooter after all. I'm going to time-out now for being a bad poster...

FYI, I once was a mechanic.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 PM

16,311 posts, read 14,106,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
$50 for 2 bulbs that cost well under $10 at walmart, although some cars have difficult to change bulbs. In my opinion this should be DIY maintenance.

I'm not 100% familiar with NC's vehicle code, but I don't see how a worn belt can cause the car to fail. RUN!
The excuse is that "if the belt breaks" you won't be able to steer the car due to loss of power steering. Had oil change place that also does inspections try that on me, I refused, they passed it.

I had another shop that changed a burned out bulb (3rd brake light) for the cost of the bulb, $2

Old 08-13-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The excuse is that "if the belt breaks" you won't be able to steer the car due to loss of power steering. Had oil change place that also does inspections try that on me, I refused, they passed it.

I had another shop that changed a burned out bulb (3rd brake light) for the cost of the bulb, $2
Not an excuse, it's what the book says and had you been an undercover inspector the shop would have been written up and fined for passing it.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:11 PM

3,188 posts, read 1,473,801 times
You are being ripped.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:15 PM

16,311 posts, read 14,106,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Not an excuse, it's what the book says and had you been an undercover inspector the shop would have been written up and fined for passing it.
The belt was fine, still is 2 years later

Old 08-17-2012, 02:36 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,365,827 times
I know belt is not an inspection issue. My car couldn't hold a belt at he time I needed an inspection b/c the pulley needed to be replaced. Which meant no Ac and no power steering. Still passed inspection. Granted, the shop that inspected it knew the car would be turned in to them to get the pulley fixed.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
The belt was fine, still is 2 years later
Doesn't matter the belt was fine, in your opinion, it's what the inspector says and in my expericence with DMV officers there is room for interpretation.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ Well then, I stand corrected. I took a minute to look up the inspection requirements, and WFW&P is absolutely right--the power steering belt is indeed part of the inspection. I never knew that. Thanks for setting me straight!

So it appears our rogue mechanic above may be a straight shooter after all. I'm going to time-out now for being a bad poster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I know belt is not an inspection issue. My car couldn't hold a belt at he time I needed an inspection b/c the pulley needed to be replaced. Which meant no Ac and no power steering. Still passed inspection. Granted, the shop that inspected it knew the car would be turned in to them to get the pulley fixed.
^^ Read the above ^^
But if you are a regular the shop may show some leniency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina