Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:19 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I'm new to the state...took my car for inspection last week.

I had two burnt out parking light bulbs. $50 for bulbs and labor.

He also said my drive belt was shot and I needed a new one to pass inspection. That was going to be $100ish.

I can't find anything on the inspection requirements about drive belts.

Granted, the car has 95K miles and certainly still has the original belt. And I don't want to be on the highway when the old one kicks the bucket.

But IMHO if it isn't an inspection requirement, he can't tell me that it is.

Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 10:59 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
Yes, you are being ripped off. $50 is insane to replace two bulbs, and the drive belt isn't an inspection issue at all (although if it is indeed worn you should replace it, but don't let this guy do it).

Find another mechanic!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,625,316 times
$50 for 2 bulbs that cost well under $10 at walmart, although some cars have difficult to change bulbs. In my opinion this should be DIY maintenance.

I'm not 100% familiar with NC's vehicle code, but I don't see how a worn belt can cause the car to fail. RUN!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:49 PM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
How long did it take to replace the bulbs? Mechanic labor is around $80 an hour. Some cars are really time consuming. What kind of car? As for drive belt, it's not part of the inspection requirement. However, if it's original to the car, you have that many miles on it, you should have it replaced. If you don't have it replaced and it breaks, you're going to permanent damage your car. Most mechanics will tell you to replace your water pump at the same time when they replace your belt, otherwise you end up essentially paying for the same labor twice.

Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
He's charging you $15 for two ($1) bulbs and his time to install them...
on top of the $35 inspection fee you're paying anyway.

The belt statement (as reported) is distressing.
But I also sense some reporting bias.

Last edited by MrRational; 08-09-2012 at 03:37 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM

606 posts, read 903,544 times
Oh and you should turn him in to the dmv. They'll go get an inspection and see if they're lying to people. They don't say who they are when they do it. The shop will get into trouble.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
He's charging you $15 for two ($1) bulbs and his time to install them...
on top of the $35 inspection fee you're paying anyway.

The belt statement (as reported) is distressing.
But I also sense some reporting bias.

Hmm, could be. The OP did say $50 for labor and bulbs. If that includes the inspection fee, then it certainly is reasonable.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:08 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yes, you are being ripped off. $50 is insane to replace two bulbs, and the drive belt isn't an inspection issue at all (although if it is indeed worn you should replace it, but don't let this guy do it).

Find another mechanic!
Wrong!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
How long did it take to replace the bulbs? Mechanic labor is around $80 an hour. Some cars are really time consuming. What kind of car? As for drive belt, it's not part of the inspection requirement.
Wrong!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny536 View Post
$50 for 2 bulbs that cost well under $10 at walmart, although some cars have difficult to change bulbs. In my opinion this should be DIY maintenance.

I'm not 100% familiar with NC's vehicle code, but I don't see how a worn belt can cause the car to fail. RUN!
Most, if not all automobiles, these days use a single belt to drive the accessories (alternator, water pump, A/C, power steering) and if the vehicle has hydraulic steering assist, i.e. power steering, then it is part of the steering system as the vehicle would become difficult to manuver in the event the belt failed.
Even before the single drive belt came along the power steering belt was considered part of the inspection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Hmm, could be. The OP did say $50 for labor and bulbs. If that includes the inspection fee, then it certainly is reasonable.
I agree.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:46 AM

^ Well then, I stand corrected. I took a minute to look up the inspection requirements, and WFW&P is absolutely right--the power steering belt is indeed part of the inspection. I never knew that. Thanks for setting me straight!

So it appears our rogue mechanic above may be a straight shooter after all. I'm going to time-out now for being a bad poster...

Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
Thank you for all the info!

The quote did NOT include the $35 inspection fee. I don't have the quote in front of me so I was only guessing on the cost of the drive belt. But the total cost was something like $180 so $50 for bulbs+$35 for inspection leaves $95 for the drive belt. You are right that the bulbs are $1 each but the labor is somewhat time consuming to replace them.

Meanwhile, I queried my neighborhood listserv and found out about a great mechanic that I can walk to from home who will likely do the work for a much more reasonable cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina