Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which bordering state works more with NC?
South Carolina 31 62.00%
Tennessee 3 6.00%
Georgia 3 6.00%
Virginia 13 26.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,894,691 times

Advertisements

To be honest, it really depends on what part of NC you live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 05:19 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
To be honest, it really depends on what part of NC you live in.
You have some of South Carolinas Largest counties by population living on the border counties too versus any of the other states . Greenville, Spartanburg, and York Counties, probably including horry (myrtle beach) have well over a million people right across the border. Plus the Carolina Panthers play in NC buy practice in SC

Old 08-16-2012, 07:31 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
But my point was that the OBX does not have enough people. Yes, many of the folks who live there are from Va and they share TV stations, etc, etc, etc with Va, but there's a limited number of them, compared to the major metro area that is Charlotte Metrolina! Way, way more people crossing the NC/SC border for work and everything else down there than there are in the OBX. Anywhere along the border you will find people popping over from one side to the other, but overall, culturally I think NC and SC share more.

For reference:
"The Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury Combined Statistical Area (CSA)[4] is a regional population area including parts of North Carolina and South Carolina with a 2012 population of 2,574,787"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlot...ropolitan_area

vs

"Officially, the Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC MSA has a population of about 1.7 million, the 36th-largest metropolitan area in the United States."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgini...A–NC_MSA

So almost a million more people in the Charlotte area. The NC portion of the Hampton Roads (Va Beach, Newport News, OBX) area officially only includes Currituck county with a population of about 20,000, but if you include all the outer banks the population is still only about 60,000 vs the SC portion of the Charlotte Metrolina area which is about 230,000 for York County (Rock Hill) alone. Including the other SC counties in the CSA it's more like 400,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlot...ropolitan_area
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curritu...North_Carolina
http://www.outerbankschamber.com/mai...uter-banks-nc/

Last edited by poppydog; 08-16-2012 at 07:55 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 08:08 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
I agree that the Myrtle Beach/Horry County area and Brunswick County/New Hanover County areas are both pretty heavily populated on both sides of the border and should be included in the discussion.

The Wilmington metro area (including Pender, New Hanover, and Brunswick counties) has a pop of 362,315.
Wilmington, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Myrtle Beach metro area (Horry and Georgetown counties) has a similar pop of 329,449 . Myrtle Beach metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Horry County, SC and Brunswick Co, NC border each other and share TV stations, newspapers, tourism, etc.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
North Carolina is a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit. Many of our ancestors moved on to Tennessee making North Carolina more like that state. A North Carolina natives prospective.

Last edited by NCN; 08-16-2012 at 08:43 AM..

Old 08-16-2012, 08:51 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
For about 40 years, I always thought we had closer ties to Virginia. I have changed my opinion. Now, I think we have closer ties to SC.

Of course, if you are in NW NC, you may have closer ties to E. TN and SW VA. Same for folks in the Asheville area - GA/SC. And there is a strong tie in coastal NC to both VA and SC.

It's a long state w/ a lot of shared border.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
For about 40 years, I always thought we had closer ties to Virginia. I have changed my opinion. Now, I think we have closer ties to SC.

Of course, if you are in NW NC, you may have closer ties to E. TN and SW VA. Same for folks in the Asheville area - GA/SC. And there is a strong tie in coastal NC to both VA and SC.

It's a long state w/ a lot of shared border.
As a person who has seen well over 90% of both NC, SC, Tenn, GA, and VA; I'd have to say that this thread all depends on where a poster lives within NC. That said, IF everyone could take a two-day trip to all border areas of NC, we'd all agree that the most "active" border is the I-77 corridor near Carowinds and the US 521 corridor near Ballantyne/Indian Land. There is also the I-95 border near Dillon, SC ("South of the Border" which IMO is rather racist against Latinos). However, that area is nothing more than a glorified rest area (and a rather dirty one at that). I haven't been there in years, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that place is now closed or at least on the verge of closing. Greenville/Spartanburg is yet another area that comes to mind as their news stations do cover many parts of Western NC (including Asheville).

Old 08-16-2012, 09:54 AM

106 posts, read 318,063 times
South Carolina is kind of like family. They can be awful embarrassing and aggravating at times, but in the end they are family.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:40 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,191,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
But my point was that the OBX does not have enough people. Yes, many of the folks who live there are from Va and they share TV stations, etc, etc, etc with Va, but there's a limited number of them, compared to the major metro area that is Charlotte Metrolina! Way, way more people crossing the NC/SC border for work and everything else down there than there are in the OBX. Anywhere along the border you will find people popping over from one side to the other, but overall, culturally I think NC and SC share more.
Dude, you obviously have no clue what you're talking about (I know, shocker on this board, right?)

Your initial assertion

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
The OBX are not populous enough for a strong link with Va
was that there's no strong link between the outer banks and VA, which is demonstrably wrong, despite your repeated insistence on arguing otherwise. Not whether that link is stronger than the one between Charlotte and SC or wherever. The OP's premise is bad since there's no one state NC has stronger ties to; it's a regional question, as several people in this thread have pointed out already.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
The northern half of NC has closer ties with VA, while the southern half is closer to SC. Northwestern and northeastern NC is very closely tied with VA...cities like Greensboro, Durham, Winston-Salem, Elizabeth City, Rocky Mount, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina