Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:34 AM

12 posts, read 23,910 times

Advertisements

I've applied for several jobs in the area and I am wondering what the area is really like. I am coming up there in a few weeks to check it out for my self but I would like opinions. I am single but have 3 big dog babies so I want a place with some land. Is that possible with out living in the middle of now where? What is the crime rate? Any info is helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 01:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
My father has lived in that area for 20 years.

First, I hope you like GOLF, because that's the #1 thing associated with "The Sandhills", as that area is called. Pinehurst has hosted the U.S. Open several times, and I believe will be doing so again soon.

But back to your question--it is still a pretty rural area. You don't give any indication where you're coming from, so it's impossible to say how it will be compared to where you're coming from. Southern Pines is the biggest "city" in the area, and it's a small town. Lots of retirees, mostly from up north, who tend to live in gated lakefront communities. Outside of those, it's pretty rural in mindset. Finding land for your dogs won't be a problem. It's also known as a big area for horses, and there is a steeplechase very spring.

Here is City-Data's own page on Southern Pines--they have them for every municiplaity.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:18 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Check this earlier thread about the Sandhills area.

Best City to live in NC for families and w/land

Old 08-24-2012, 09:29 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Check this earlier thread about the Sandhills area.

Best City to live in NC for families and w/land
and note that PDD is the only one who recommended the Sandhills

Old 08-25-2012, 07:05 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
and note that PDD is the only one who recommended the Sandhills
Where else in NC can you buy acreage with a nice home and only be 10 miles from any service,stores,restaurants you could possible need for under 400K?

Plus if you like to golf it's a bonus.

Besides I've been to Raleigh, Greeensboro, Charlotte and it's just like living in the Northeast suburbs, too many cars, too many people, too many "little pink houses"

Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gine View Post
What is the crime rate?
Be careful with looking at crime rates. EG, if you use CD, the crime rate in Southern Pines looks higher than the national average. But, the land you want will be outside city limits in a county, and will be much lower. Most crime is drug-related, eg, junkies breaking into homes, a local meth dealer caught, etc.

I have seen many properties with land around Carthage, Sanford, etc. I would not hesitate to live there. You should have a job lined up before you move.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:44 AM

328 posts, read 767,265 times
Isn't Moore County a future fracking site, if all that stuff passes whatever it has to pass?

Old 08-25-2012, 09:42 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
Isn't Moore County a future fracking site, if all that stuff passes whatever it has to pass?
Excellent point, which I had forgotten. Fracking could potentially spoil the well water. The area runs from Durham southwest through Moore County to the state line: Progress NC - Think you're not in the Fracking Zone? Think again.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 AM

106 posts, read 318,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redandorangeskittles View Post
The potential fracking activities are in the northern part of the county, not the southern end where
SP and Pinehurst are.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:52 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Just to add my .02, SP/Pinehurst is a great area to live if you want small town life. There are just enough retail/restaurants/things to do, yet there are none of the bigger-city headaches. There are some very nice people in that area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina