Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2006, 11:55 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,925,764 times

Advertisements

How would you like to explain this to your auto insurance agent?

------------------------------------------------------------

A 12-foot-long alligator killed by a motorist on a coastal North Carolina highway weighed about 475 pounds, forcing officials to use a large excavator to remove the reptile.

The American alligator was about 85 years old when it was struck late Monday night along U.S. 17 in Onslow County, state wildlife officials said. The reptile was removed by state Department of Transportation officials Tuesday.

"For this alligator to be the size it was, it's obviously been here a long time, and this is the first time we've known about it. That says something," said Sgt. Charles Smith, a law enforcement officer with North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

The motorist, who wasn't identified, was unharmed.

The American alligator was taken off the endangered species list in 1987, but the legal trade of alligator skin is still regulated, according to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The reptiles live throughout the Southeast, and it's not uncommon for them to cross major roadways as part of their seasonal migration, said Warren Wethington, Onslow County DOT maintenance engineer.

http://www.ncdcr.gov/countymaps/countYgifs/onslow.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2006, 04:05 PM

505 posts, read 2,535,310 times
Yeah, we have gators in extreme eastern NC. When I lived in New Bern, just 30 miles north of Jacksonville (Onslow Co.) I saw several gators in the local creeks. One time I saw one cross the road as well.

One time a gator attacked a lab in the middle of a subdivision which is located along a creek. However, this is very rare.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:24 PM

212 posts, read 1,061,186 times
If I had hit that thing I would have claimed it. The hide might have paid for the damage to my old truck. At the very least I would have had plenty of fresh meat! 475 lbs of gator burgers...

Old 09-28-2006, 10:45 AM

1,251 posts, read 2,569,808 times
Umm gator tastes like frog or a combo of frog and chicken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina