U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 05:53 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
I would too, as we all know how democratic Charlotte is. I would pay green money to see 4
more years of what our "Business Development Gov" has given us in NC.
Democrats for state race in NC are quite different than that for democrats for national elections. McCrory can't win the election without winning over a significant number of white Eastern NC Democrats. aka Jessiecrats. These are registered Democrats who will gladly vote GOP in certain elections. So McCrory does himself no favors by bashing the party. Instead he will go after the failures of individual politicians, the President, and he will carefully avoid mentioning Charlotte anywhere in Eastern NC.

It shouldn't go without notice that first time he ran for governor in NC, he made the announcement from the backwash NC town he was born in, and not from his residence in Myers Park Manor where he has lived for decades. Even more to the point, he didn't make the announcement from the most powerful Mayor's office in the state. He made it from rural NC. This is, IMO because eastern NC does not like Charlotte or the Great State of Mecklenburg, or the Metrolina Empire as it is often been derisively called. There have been suggestions from time to time in Raleigh to send Charlotte to SC as not worthy of being in NC. LOL.

McCrory knows elections in this state are won in the East and got a painful lesson in this in the last election. He was hoping for an overwhelming number of voters to support him in Mecklenburg to balance out the Eastern vote, but those votes never materialized. As I said earlier however, this time, it is his election to lose. Perdue and several other scandal ridden high profile Dems has damaged the state Democratic party so much that it's going to take years for them to recover.

(Mecklenburg could block vote any politician it wants into state office, but no politician here has the appeal to pull that off.)

Last edited by frewroad; 09-19-2012 at 06:10 AM..

Old 09-19-2012, 06:34 AM

1,547 posts, read 2,170,932 times
[quote=frewroad;26155982]Democrats for state race in NC are quite different than that for democrats for national elections. McCrory can't win the election without winning over a significant number of white Eastern NC Democrats. aka Jessiecrats. These are registered Democrats who will gladly vote GOP in certain elections. So McCrory does himself no favors by bashing the party. Instead he will go after the failures of individual politicians, the President, and he will carefully avoid mentioning Charlotte anywhere in Eastern NC.

Could NC get any worse off? you Bet!

Stupid people can elect another "business development" Gov that will "balance the budget"
and "provide better education". None of these promises were made! In fact, these three things
have gotten worse. What the "bleep" just happened?

McCrory does not need to pitch anything to me - He has had my Vote for 4 years now.
By the way, I'm going to buy another Gun this weekend.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:38 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
SO surprised at some of the comments here! I am not ready to respond, b/c I am digesting why people feel there would be any benefit at all to Charlotte in NOT electing McCrory. I don't see it (how Charlotte will not benefit).

I see McCrory's election as our one shot chance at getting more of the pie that we send to Govco but never get a slice of.

And the misconception that Bev has brought in new business is beyond laughable, and I say that knowing that evidently some folks think she has done a stellar job. In the past, Charlotte brought in thousands more jobs annually, without all the incentives being tagged on. I know the apologists will say - "oh but it was tough times" - yes, these have been a tough 4 years, but we have had other tough years when corporations still came and without having all sorts of carrots dangled in front of them.

And for anyone who wants to say this state fell apart under Bush, you gotta be kidding me. It fell apart when furniture and textile industries were dismantled and that started under Clinton. I don't have time to pull up the stats now, but I KNOW I AM RIGHT, b/c I follow the furniture industry and I know what propelled its decline: Clinton's trade policies.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:41 AM

247 posts, read 325,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
That whole "runnin' fer governor" line makes my blood boil for some reason. It sounds very fake to me and I can't quite pinpoint why. Just my 5 cents (inflation is a stinker).
This gets me too. Dressed in "blue collar" Carhartt gear in a warehouse, steping in puddles in his workboots? Seems like quite a put on.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie4417 View Post
This gets me too. Dressed in "blue collar" Carhartt gear in a warehouse, steping in puddles in his workboots? Seems like quite a put on.
Well, at least he grew up here, and isn't a carpetbagger, which is something I can't say for everyone in NC gubment.

He is from Salisbury. And as far as the way he dresses in an ad, I love my boots - wear them nearly daily when walking my dog in the woods. That sure as heck is not a "put on."

Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,642,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It shouldn't go without notice that first time he ran for governor in NC, he made the announcement from the backwash NC town he was born in, and not from his residence in Myers Park Manor where he has lived for decades.
I thought he was a native of Columbus, OH and grew up in suburban Greensboro?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:01 AM

3,914 posts, read 3,945,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, at least he grew up here, and isn't a carpetbagger, which is something I can't say for everyone in NC gubment.
LOL, you could only call him a carpetbagger if he moved here from out of state. He meets the other requirement in that he is Republican.

The traditional term for carpetbagger was a Yankee who moved to the South and worked with Republicans to subjugate White Southerners and promote Blacks over them. A Scalawag was the Republican who worked with the Carpetbagging Yankee's. The terms did not apply to Democrats.

(people don't like to remember it was the Republicans who freed the slaves over the objections of the Democrats)

Old 09-19-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
LOL, you could only call him a carpetbagger if he moved here from out of state. He meets the other requirement in that he is Republican.

The traditional term for carpetbagger was a Yankee who moved to the South and worked with Republicans to subjugate White Southerners and promote Blacks over them. A Scalawag was the Republican who worked with the Carpetbagging Yankee's. The terms did not apply to Democrats.

(people don't like to remember it was the Republicans who freed the slaves over the objections of the Democrats)
I stated exactly what I meant.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
I thought he was a native of Columbus, OH and grew up in suburban Greensboro?
Never heard anything about an Ohio connection.

You are right that he grew up outside of Greensboro. I misstated the Salisbury connection - he went to Catawba College, which is in Salisbury.

Thank you for correcting that, mm34b.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:12 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,713,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Texas is doing pretty good. Does he get that credit also? North Carolina imploded during the Bush Years... Should we just blame Bush for starting our crisis in the first place?
Sorry, but I don't understand your questions. Who are you referring to in your first question? Secondly, what do you mean when you say "North Carolina imploded?" Where does Bush fit into all of this based on your last question. I am not argueing. I would like to answer your questions, but need come clarification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina