U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,353 posts, read 42,267,771 times
Reputation: 19479
Arguments against voter ID just smack me of a non-issue and grasping at straws.

People are too old and infirm to go get an ID? How do they get to the physician? How do they get groceries?

Okay, they are homebound.

Get an absentee ballot.

This is hard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM
 
2,567 posts, read 2,329,352 times
Reputation: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Arguments against voter ID just smack me of a non-issue and grasping at straws.

People are too old and infirm to go get an ID? How do they get to the physician? How do they get groceries?

Okay, they are homebound.

Get an absentee ballot.

This is hard?
Really? You attitude is rather myopic here. None of the things you mention require an ID. They walk to the grocery store. They take the bus. They pay cash.

Of course it's not difficult for someone with disposable income, who has driven all their lives, who has used a bank account all their lives (i.e., your typical middle class suburbanite). It is pretty hard to obtain an ID if your birth certificate cannot be found because it was never filed, if it is located in another state and you do not have good computer skills. It is also rather difficult to come up with the $80 or $90 it would cost to get the ID when you have no disposable income or credit.

They likely don't know about the absentee balloting system and would they even qualify? Is there not an ID requirement for that?

What would also be really hard is coordinating the kind of large-scale in-person voter fraud effort these laws are supposedly in place to prevent (despite the fact that there has been no evidence for it). You would have to obtain the list of registered voters, verify their birthdates, verify their addresses, get enough passable people together to go to the polls. Do this all while keeping all of these people quiet about the event even as hundreds of Republican operatives have spent the last decade digging for this stuff. The fact that so few examples of this exist should tell you why we don't need this law.

Last edited by coped; 09-21-2012 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,353 posts, read 42,267,771 times
Reputation: 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Really? You attitude is rather myopic here. None of the things you mention require an ID. They walk to the grocery store. They take the bus. They pay cash.

Of course it's not difficult for someone with disposable income, who has driven all their lives, who has used a bank account all their lives (i.e., your typical middle class suburbanite). It is pretty hard to obtain an ID if your birth certificate cannot be found because it was never filed, if it is located in another state and you do not have good computer skills. It is also rather difficult to come up with the $80 or $90 it would cost to get the ID when you have no disposable income or credit.

They likely don't know about the absentee balloting system and would they even qualify? Is there not an ID requirement for that?

What would also be really hard is coordinating the kind of large-scale in-person voter fraud effort these laws are supposedly in place to prevent (despite the fact that there has been no evidence for it). You would have to obtain the list of registered voters, verify their birthdates, verify their addresses, get enough passable people together to go to the polls. Do this all while keeping all of these people quiet about the event even as hundreds of Republican operatives have spent the last decade digging for this stuff. The fact that so few examples of this exist should tell you why we don't need this law.
I think you missed my point.

If they can get out to get groceries

If they can get out to go to their doc

If they can get out to go to church

Why can't they get out to get an ID?

That is all I meant.

But since you brought up the other stuff . . . if a person is getting a SS check, didnt they have to produce a SS card at some time? If they have a SS card, why can't they get a picture ID?

If you have a physician and use Medicare, your doc has your SS # on file.

If you have a direct deposit made from SS, you had to use your SS # to set up the bank account.

Did you know that by law in this state, any individual can come to your home and register you to vote?

I mean come on folks - it can't get easier!

I have gone to people's homes and provided the forms for them on the spot!

Voter registration services may also be offered by any individual, group or organization that desires to conduct a voter registration drive. No special training or permission is needed to conduct a voter registration drive; however, organizers should follow the guidelines set out in our Voter Registration Drives: A Citizen's Guide brochure. County boards of elections can provide voter registration supplies to drive organizers in limited quantities (less than 1000 blank forms). If a larger quantity of forms is needed, organizers may request the forms directly from the State Board of Elections. Applications collected at voter registration drives must be delivered to the appropriate county board of elections by the voter registration deadline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 04:12 PM
 
Location: in the bushes. I can see you!!
3,338 posts, read 3,782,448 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Not correct. I've been voting in very election since 1982 and never asked for it (though I usually have it out anyway, to help them find my address, etc).
So you're telling me what *I* experienced as a voter? lol, no.

Whether you DID or DIDN'T get asked to produce a voter registration card I assure you that I have. Perhaps the poll workers were breaking some sort of law, but I have been asked for my card. In Iredell County AND in Orange County NC. When I moved back to Charlotte I remember wondering what the deal was with no ID or Registration card required.

But the point is moot. *I* believe that a voter ID law is a responsible law. It costs NOTHING to register and get a voter registration card (which is suitable in my opinion for ID). I don't really like the idea of people acting responsible enough to vote when they are not even responsible enough to keep up with basic paperwork.

My voting precinct is full of poor people and I bet your jaw would fall to the floor if you saw the crap I witness taking place. I know mine does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,353 posts, read 42,267,771 times
Reputation: 19479
As far as absentee voting . . .

Here we go.

For you all who are all upset about this subject, I think you have been brainwashed by people who have A REASON for stirring folks up. What better way to ensure the possibility of voter fraud than making people think there is something heinous about preventing it???? Dang.

It really is a NON ISSUE. No one is having their rights taken away. Not like people are being asked for a literacy test. Or a drug test (too bad). And sure as hell no one has to take an IQ test to vote, but I won't say any more about that.

You can't get out to vote? You are old and infirm? Or you are confined to a wheelchair and transportation is difficult? You are blind? You are hard of hearing?

Here's the solution, friends. ABSENTEE BALLOT.

THE RULES:

Absentee voting allows registered voters to vote on a day other than the official Election Day. There are three types of absentee voting in in North Carolina:
Civilian Absentee Voting by Mail

Any registered North Carolina voter can request an absentee ballot by mail. This type of absentee voting allows a voter or a near relative or legal guardian to request that an absentee ballot be sent to the voter by mail. The voter may vote the ballot and return it to the county board of elections by the ballot return deadline.

Military-Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting

Absent uniformed services members (and their eligible dependants) and U.S. citizens living outside of the United States may request an absentee ballot under the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA). This federal act and its corresponding law in this state allows unformed service members and overseas citizens who are absent from their county of residence in North Carolina to request, receive and return an absentee ballot under special rights given to them under UOCAVA.

One-stop Absentee Voting (Early Voting)

One-stop absentee voting (in-person absentee voting or early voting) allows registered voters to go in person to their county board of elections or an alternative location to vote an absentee ballot. One-stop absentee voting is conducted starting on the third Thursday before an election and ends on the last Saturday before the election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 05:49 PM
 
3,915 posts, read 1,255,047 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I think you missed my point.

If they can get out to get groceries

If they can get out to go to their doc

If they can get out to go to church

Why can't they get out to get an ID?

That is all I meant.

But since you brought up the other stuff . . . if a person is getting a SS check, didnt they have to produce a SS card at some time? If they have a SS card, why can't they get a picture ID?
What if they simply don't want to have a photo ID? The US Constitution gives people the right to privacy and I don't believe it lists having a state issued photo ID as a requirement for exercising one's voting rights. In fact, precedent would consider it an unnecessary hindrance.

As a Libertarian my simple response is that if they don't want to carry an ID they don't have to. My grandmother never learned to drive and paid cash for everything so she never carried an ID. What if you are homeless and living on the street, and can't get an ID. You still have the Constitutional right to vote. In regards to a SS card, that is simply a piece of paper with an account number stamped on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 06:44 PM
 
22 posts, read 10,947 times
Reputation: 29
I have been asked for ID the last three times I voted....Within the last year i became aware that you dont have to show it. It blew me away to think that anybody could walk up and say their name and vote without ID. After thinking about it, it was obvious to me that this just became an issue because people who likely hadnt voted in the past were now interested in voting becasue Obama was a candidate. And folks who didnt want those folks suddenly voting starting crying about it becasue it hurt their chances at winning.

Seems that they would ask all voters for ID and if someone didnt have it, they would go to another level of questioning and if they checked out, they get to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 06:49 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,353 posts, read 42,267,771 times
Reputation: 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
What if they simply don't want to have a photo ID? The US Constitution gives people the right to privacy and I don't believe it lists having a state issued photo ID as a requirement for exercising one's voting rights. In fact, precedent would consider it an unnecessary hindrance.

As a Libertarian my simple response is that if they don't want to carry an ID they don't have to. My grandmother never learned to drive and paid cash for everything so she never carried an ID. What if you are homeless and living on the street, and can't get an ID. You still have the Constitutional right to vote. In regards to a SS card, that is simply a piece of paper with an account number stamped on it.
Use an absentee ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Yellow Brick Road
35,353 posts, read 42,267,771 times
Reputation: 19479
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane22 View Post
I have been asked for ID the last three times I voted....Within the last year i became aware that you dont have to show it. It blew me away to think that anybody could walk up and say their name and vote without ID. After thinking about it, it was obvious to me that this just became an issue because people who likely hadnt voted in the past were now interested in voting becasue Obama was a candidate. And folks who didnt want those folks suddenly voting starting crying about it becasue it hurt their chances at winning.

Seems that they would ask all voters for ID and if someone didnt have it, they would go to another level of questioning and if they checked out, they get to vote.
The concern of voter fraud didn't just begin b/c Obama was running! But that sure seems to be the ridiculous rumor that folks have tried to attach to this issue!

As I have stated earlier, I worked in my precinct (2 precincts, 2 different counties) over at least 12 years and voter fraud was a HUGE issue back then. This is not a new issue!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2012, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Concord, NC
247 posts, read 169,679 times
Reputation: 188
I never really thought about it, but now that I have - I dont recall producing any identification when I have voted. Strange!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top