Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 AM

2 posts, read 2,070 times

Advertisements

I recently was backed into a corner for the third time by a Fortune 500 company that I have been employed with for ten and a half years. Throughout my tenure with the company I have had the opportunity to grow‚ but from the beginning the company has been well aware that I am the caretaker for my double amputee father. As years progressed‚ I was given the chance to move up to a salaried manager position‚ where I was ultimately told that I was being sent to another store nearly an hour away for good and with only less than twenty four hours notice. After I contacted the market HR manager and explained to her not only was that too short of a notice for me to just uproot my life‚ I also reminded her that my Diabetic father whom I care for has accommodations made close to my current job while I'm working; because he cannot be alone...and that moving me would be a huge burden. I was told that it was not negotiatable and that she couldn't make me do anything, but working at the other store was no option. The crazy part about this whole story is that this was not the 1st, or 2nd time I've been faced with this problem....the first two times I was in a different market and the market manager then said, "I need u to report to this store tomorrow and if not you can look for another job". After basically being forced to work at another store against my will, that caused more of an inconvience than help, to my livelihood, I had no other choice but to quit! I was backed into a corner. I have always been a hardworker, and dedicated to that company, and it was my first real job; I'm only 26. So I ned to know if anyone thinks I will have a fair shot at unemployment if I file? I have never been without a job before and have never thought of the possibility of filing until now. PLEASE HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Did the HR folks give you any documents concerning the proposed "out of commuting area" reassignment? Did you provide the HR office with a written resignation letter stating the reasons for your refusal to accept?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquan1 View Post
I recently was backed into a corner for the third time by a Fortune 500 company that I have been employed with for ten and a half years. Throughout my tenure with the company I have had the opportunity to grow‚ but from the beginning the company has been well aware that I am the caretaker for my double amputee father. As years progressed‚ I was given the chance to move up to a salaried manager position‚ where I was ultimately told that I was being sent to another store nearly an hour away for good and with only less than twenty four hours notice. After I contacted the market HR manager and explained to her not only was that too short of a notice for me to just uproot my life‚ I also reminded her that my Diabetic father whom I care for has accommodations made close to my current job while I'm working; because he cannot be alone...and that moving me would be a huge burden. I was told that it was not negotiatable and that she couldn't make me do anything, but working at the other store was no option. The crazy part about this whole story is that this was not the 1st, or 2nd time I've been faced with this problem....the first two times I was in a different market and the market manager then said, "I need u to report to this store tomorrow and if not you can look for another job". After basically being forced to work at another store against my will, that caused more of an inconvience than help, to my livelihood, I had no other choice but to quit! I was backed into a corner. I have always been a hardworker, and dedicated to that company, and it was my first real job; I'm only 26. So I ned to know if anyone thinks I will have a fair shot at unemployment if I file? I have never been without a job before and have never thought of the possibility of filing until now. PLEASE HELP
Did they fire you for not accepting the new location? If so then you have a good chance to get UI for the extra long commute if it's really an hour away.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,070 times
The only information i received was an email at 4:33pm the day before I was scheduled 2 show up at the new store (8am 11/3/12). In it stated was that I was being moved to that store effective next business day as "business need". And yes I wrote a resignation letter stating my reason to part ways.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:05 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaquan1 View Post
The only information i received was an email at 4:33pm the day before I was scheduled 2 show up at the new store (8am 11/3/12). In it stated was that I was being moved to that store effective next business day as "business need". And yes I wrote a resignation letter stating my reason to part ways.
If you resigned you will not be able to collect unemployment, no matter the circumstances. While I'm not a labor attorney, understand you don't have very many rights in this state.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:09 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
If you resigned you will not be able to collect unemployment, no matter the circumstances. While I'm not a labor attorney, understand you don't have very many rights in this state.
That simply isn't true. Briefly, Six Things You Should Know about Claims for Unemployment Benefits in North Carolina - Law Firm The Bollinger Law Firm, P.C. Attorneys Charlotte, North Carolina and the law Q&A at ESC NC Individual Services: Claims Information - Part 2.

The issue is fault. Making someone drive an extra hour to get to work or leave is probably a "constructive discharge" which is always "voluntary". Basically it's forcing someone to quit.

There are even reasons you can get compensation that are not the fault of the employer. See the links above.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 PM

119 posts, read 183,320 times
This is somewhat off topic, but it sounds to me like you're old employer has been trying to get you to leave the company. I'd definitely pursue legal action if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina