U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:26 AM

7 posts, read 8,135 times

Advertisements

Hi Eddy
We are from Massachusetts also and also in mid 40's. I have nice paying job, my wife works odd job(so it is more like one earner family) with 2 kids but we have made decision to move. Our move is for our own reasons. I know I will be loosing nice job (I work for IT) but it like dogs eats dog situation with IT jobs going away. As you know cost of living in Massachusetts is way out of control. You were lucky that you own your home so you have equity. We weren't that lucky and we don’t own house. So for us do we pay rent? Or buy a house? Buying house at this is time in Massachusetts is no way where house prices are out of control. Looking at future house prices which are going down and will go down for couple years (that's the way people are saying) for us it would be like buying high and not building equity.
For us we have reasons
1) Cut cost and not to loose money in rent.
2) Cold weather
3) My parents want to move to warmer weather also.
4) I have been struggling with my accident, which happened in 2003 and have not completely recovered from that. Since then I have been unable to keep up with the dogs eats dog situation. (LOL).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 04:30 PM

10,010 posts, read 12,273,106 times
I would have to agree with Cassie, we made the move and gave up alot of what we had, found out we made the wrong chioce and now are moving on leaving NC with nothing we had when we came, sometimes it just doesnt make sense especially when you have so much now.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:38 PM
Status: "Life is a hard teacher gives the test 1st" (set 29 days ago)

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,375 posts, read 4,701,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
Awesome advise guys thank you all very much.

This whole relocation thing started with us believe it or not because we were thinking about buying a little summer place in NH. Some were we could get away for the week ends. Then I started think about how much I hate the winters now and how expensive and wasteful it would be to buy a place we only used less then 6 months a year. It went from that to looking for a place we could go enjoy year round, to relocation.

You folks hit my point right the head. The biggest part for us right now was WHEN we move not if.

To move now would be the most difficult for all the reasons we have talked about and more. My oldest is in the Army and away at training for another year before she comes home to finish college. My other two are High school and Junior High. Our biggest concern is that they would come with us when ever we do move, now 10 or God forbid 20 years from now.

Of course retirement would be ideal money wise but quality of life issues are what this is all about to begin with and We don't want to wait that long. Working the next 20 years to enjoy our last 15 to 20 isn't the way to go.

N.C. may or may not be the place for us. I still think it is. Over the years I have seen more people run to Florida then any were else and from my research N.C. offers us more of the life style we'd be looking for.

Ideally I was thinking that we could make the move in another 7yrs when we are both 50. We would still have to work but at no were near the pace we do know. Sort of a semi retirement. It would hit my pension a little but my hope and wish is the quality of life in N.C. would out weigh that money.

These are all economical factors we are trying to go over, pension at 50, 55, home equity now or in 7 years. that sort of thing.

I really enjoy all the help and advice. What I was really looking for was what it was that put you over the hump of talking about relocating and doing it.

For some its a job opportunity and others its a family thing. I'm curious if there are and I'm sure there are a few who just pick up and leave one day.

More so are there people like me who aren't wealthy or rich but in a medium income bracket in a similar situation who made the move as I described.
That and any other info is most appreciated. Thanks again.
Well Cassie made excellent points, and I thought the same. It seems you would be giving up a tremendous amount. I then read your comment about quality of life being the focal point of your thinking. I personally agree with you, I would hate to have a job and be in a place *just* to make it to 55 and get the package . But I definitely know what I would be walking away from and what I'd be gaining too.

I had a friend who was one of the few who got in before IBM terminated their pension system. He's was about 10 years away from early retirement. He HATED his job, he really wanted to be in ministry fulltime. He hated the commute (which was only 30 minutes). The political stuff, etc. Just dreaded it everyday- he wanted out of corporate, but for a long time the paycheck kept him there. We talked about it constantly because I left IBM 7 years ago to start my business, but I was 30 when I did that and didn't have a pension, (so it was easier to walk away). Anyway he voluntarily left, even though I told him to hold out and at least get laid off to get a severance package. His ministry income is siginficantly lower than the 6 figures he pulled in from IBM, his wife now works fulltime and he does more of the picking the kids up from school type stuff. They are very happy becaue they wake up each morning excited about what their doing.

Anyway, it seems like your going through a similar thought process and I'm sure for those on the outside looking in, you may seem crazy if you were to leave.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:21 PM

21 posts, read 60,887 times
We are moving from South Florida to North Carolina. I am in my mid-forties and my husband is older. Our children are ten and twelve. I grew up in Wellesley, Mass. If I were you, I'd hate to leave the Boston area. My husband will not move that far north. I don't believe North Carolina will be the next Florida any time soon. There is too much land and if that were to happen it would take 15 or 20 years! Where we are moving from in Florida, most of the lots are zero lot lines, which means you are looking into your neighbors windows! Our house is on about a 1/3 of an acre but it's still too crowded! Where in Boston are you and why don't you like it?

Old 10-01-2006, 11:25 PM

82 posts, read 342,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellex View Post
We are moving from South Florida to North Carolina. I am in my mid-forties and my husband is older. Our children are ten and twelve. I grew up in Wellesley, Mass. If I were you, I'd hate to leave the Boston area. My husband will not move that far north. I don't believe North Carolina will be the next Florida any time soon. There is too much land and if that were to happen it would take 15 or 20 years! Where we are moving from in Florida, most of the lots are zero lot lines, which means you are looking into your neighbors windows! Our house is on about a 1/3 of an acre but it's still too crowded! Where in Boston are you and why don't you like it?
We're in Tewksbury, MA. It's not a bad place The ride into Boston has gotten crazier every year. It's about 20 miles into the city but with traffic it takes about an hour or better to get in to work in the morning.
Take into consideration the taxes, the weather, the over all atmospher and thats why we started looking else were.
Wellesley is a beautiful town. If we could afford to live there may be waiting until retirment to move wouldn't be so bad.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:31 PM

82 posts, read 342,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Well Cassie made excellent points, and I thought the same. It seems you would be giving up a tremendous amount. I then read your comment about quality of life being the focal point of your thinking. I personally agree with you, I would hate to have a job and be in a place *just* to make it to 55 and get the package . But I definitely know what I would be walking away from and what I'd be gaining too.

I had a friend who was one of the few who got in before IBM terminated their pension system. He's was about 10 years away from early retirement. He HATED his job, he really wanted to be in ministry fulltime. He hated the commute (which was only 30 minutes). The political stuff, etc. Just dreaded it everyday- he wanted out of corporate, but for a long time the paycheck kept him there. We talked about it constantly because I left IBM 7 years ago to start my business, but I was 30 when I did that and didn't have a pension, (so it was easier to walk away). Anyway he voluntarily left, even though I told him to hold out and at least get laid off to get a severance package. His ministry income is siginficantly lower than the 6 figures he pulled in from IBM, his wife now works fulltime and he does more of the picking the kids up from school type stuff. They are very happy becaue they wake up each morning excited about what their doing.

Anyway, it seems like your going through a similar thought process and I'm sure for those on the outside looking in, you may seem crazy if you were to leave.
I am. I also have a 6 figure income but hate my job. I've never done anything else I could make a living at and I'm sure I could do ok in NC but no were near what I do here.

Your friend and I are not only in the same boat. I built it ; )

Old 10-01-2006, 11:43 PM

45,179 posts, read 57,305,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy G View Post
I am. I also have a 6 figure income but hate my job. I've never done anything else I could make a living at and I'm sure I could do ok in NC but no were near what I do here.

Your friend and I are not only in the same boat. I built it ; )
Eddy, I'm sure you've heard this before, but it is soooo true...
money is not everything. Hating what you do is killing your soul, your spirit of creativity. Some of the richest people I know don't have more than a few thousand dollars in the bank.

My brother was living just like you out in San Diego, raking in the big bucks. He turned 40 and realized a lot of what you are realizing now. He was just so unhappy living in that CA rat race he just decided he had to take a chance and do SOMETHING different. He has 3 kids, one starting high school so this was extremely tough for him. Well, they decided to take that leap of faith and moved to Cary, NC. He and his wife were nervous wrecks that they had made the wrong choice but kept reminding themselves of what they were trying to accomplish. I'm happy to say - only 3 months later they are THRILLED with what they have done. He is like a man with a 10 ton weight off his chest. They originally started talking about making this kind of move 5 years ago and the first plan was to wait till the oldest graduated from high school. As time went on he realized he could not make it that much longer. Now he says he hates that he wasted the last five years agonizing over it all.

Good luck to you Eddy - I know this is a tough position to be in. Just remember, life is what happens while we are busy making plans. God Bless.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:32 AM

1,574 posts, read 3,267,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
money is not everything. Hating what you do is killing your soul, your spirit of creativity. Some of the richest people I know don't have more than a few thousand dollars in the bank.

My brother was living just like you out in San Diego, raking in the big bucks. He turned 40 and realized a lot of what you are realizing now. He was just so unhappy living in that CA rat race he just decided he had to take a chance and do SOMETHING different. He has 3 kids, one starting high school so this was extremely tough for him. Well, they decided to take that leap of faith and moved to Cary, NC. He and his wife were nervous wrecks that they had made the wrong choice but kept reminding themselves of what they were trying to accomplish. I'm happy to say - only 3 months later they are THRILLED with what they have done. He is like a man with a 10 ton weight off his chest. They originally started talking about making this kind of move 5 years ago and the first plan was to wait till the oldest graduated from high school. As time went on he realized he could not make it that much longer. Now he says he hates that he wasted the last five years agonizing over it all.

Good luck to you Eddy - I know this is a tough position to be in. Just remember, life is what happens while we are busy making plans. God Bless.
Wow, your brother sounds like my husband! We chose NC over high paying jobs in Europe, CA, and WA. Even without steady income, my husband is happier and healthier than he ever was while he was making great money in NYC.

I tend to agree with Cassie, though, on waiting until the kids finish school. I think that's what Eddy G intends to do anyway.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:48 AM

1,797 posts, read 3,909,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

WOW! These are the words I needed to read today! We're in the exact same position. Some people may call it foolish, but sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith. "More money, more problems", "Less is more".

Old 10-02-2006, 10:44 AM

20,055 posts, read 21,112,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
WOW! These are the words I needed to read today! We're in the exact same position. Some people may call it foolish, but sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith. "More money, more problems", "Less is more".

I agree too. We plan on taking that leap soon. We would rather die in North Carolina than die in Texas never having lived there!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina