Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 01:03 PM

3,304 posts, read 8,555,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ According to this site, Virginia's overall tax rate is a whopping 1/2 percentage point lower than NC...really not a significant difference at all. Note also that VA's per capita income is significantly higher than NC's (perhaps due to the many federal government employees in NOVA), so they can have a lower income tax rate and still collect as much or more as NC.
I can tell you is that the top state income tax rate in NC is 7.75% vs. 5.75% for Virginia. Taxes by State

Based on the income thresholds and tax rates, my household is paying 24.1% more in STATE taxes in NC over Virginia. The real estate tax rate is virtually the same from where I moved from in Northern VA 6 years ago. I don't know how accurate the link you provided is, but if it is true that NC's tax burden is only .5% more it is heavily skewed by the real estate tax values (not rates) in Northern Virginia (Local Taxes). Bottom line is that most of NC is taxed at a pretty good clip higher than VA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 01:30 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
NC & Border States

State & Local Tax Burden

North Carolina - 17th highest in the nation
Virginia - 30th
Georgia - 33rd
South Carolina - 41st
Tennessee - 48th

Tax Foundation
Washington, DC

Old 11-07-2012, 01:40 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Okay, let's talk "real money" then. For someone making $50,000 per year, the tax difference between NC and VA is (on average) $300, or about $25 per month. That is statistically insignificant by any reasonable measure.
Oh how I wish you worked for me. That way when I told you your annual salary increase was 2% instead of 2.5% so that someone else could have a 3% raise you'd be just fine with it...you know, because it's ONLY $25 per month.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:12 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Oh how I wish you worked for me. That way when I told you your annual salary increase was 2% instead of 2.5% so that someone else could have a 3% raise you'd be just fine with it...you know, because it's ONLY $25 per month.

Well, I look at it like this--I'm paying an extra .5% not to live in VA, and it's worth every penny!

Old 11-08-2012, 03:11 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post

I do like this state wild flower along the highway program not sure if that is part of highway tax or not but it probably saves the state money in labor for less miles to mow.
Nope, no tax money involved, funded by proceeds from the sale of personalized license plates.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:38 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
North Carolina has the highest gas tax in the south, with 57.55 cents per gallon. No neighboring state is even close to paying this much gas tax.

Will McCrory and cronnies in the state legislature do anything about it? I doubt it.

Perdue and her cronnies still have some time left to do it!
Blaming McCrory before he gets a chance ?

Wow

Old 11-08-2012, 05:19 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
McCrory will fight to stop these pointless rural roads to nowhere, which will free-up funds for the more populated/growing areas of this state (Triangle, Triad, Asheville, Wilmington, Fayetteville, Charlotte). Shady infrastructure politics is the #1 reason why McCrory decided to run for governor in the first place. I doubt that he will cut many existing taxes, but he will most likely redistribute tax revenue to the urbanized areas. Being that jobs and developments follow the roads and freeway exits, our cities should become better job magnets under McCrory. This should lead to lower unemployment in all of our high population centers. Only time will tell.
That sounds great, but there is some irony here. If not for rural NC, McCrory would have suffered the most embarrassing loss in history. I can't imagine he's going to rock the boat too much.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:42 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
That sounds great, but there is some irony here. If not for rural NC, McCrory would have suffered the most embarrassing loss in history. I can't imagine he's going to rock the boat too much.
This. McCrory is neither an urban guy or a rural guy. He's a suburban politician. He has support locked up in the suburbs, but lost the cities entirely. The eastern rural areas held their nose and voted for him. He owes the rural eastern "good old boys" a lot of favors right about now.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:20 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
This. McCrory is neither an urban guy or a rural guy. He's a suburban politician. He has support locked up in the suburbs, but lost the cities entirely. The eastern rural areas held their nose and voted for him. He owes the rural eastern "good old boys" a lot of favors right about now.
Perdue did the same thing and on top of it, drove our state into economic hell.
Thank god the people woke up and voted.

Perdue still has time to lower or eliminate the gas tax - back on topic.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,495 times
I don't understand the beef with the gas tax. Who better to pay for roads than the people who use them? Which tax do you want to raise to offset it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina