Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,342,473 times

Advertisements

North Carolina has the highest gas tax in the south, with 57.55 cents per gallon. No neighboring state is even close to paying this much gas tax.

Will McCrory and cronnies in the state legislature do anything about it? I doubt it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:05 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,135,845 times
What would you want them to do? If they lower the gas tax, they'll have to make up the revenue somewhere else or cut spending heavily. As we've discussed on this board several times before, NC's overall tax burden is not unreasonable--we're slightly above the midpoint in this regard. We pay more in gas taxes, while other states pay more property tax, or income tax, or tolls, etc.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:38 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,753,703 times
Currently the NC tax on gas is 39.2 cents per gallon. The rate of 57.6 cents you mention includes 18.4 cents in Federal tax. Per NC law, the tax rate is based on the wholesale price of gas and is readjusted twice a year on January 1 and July 1.

Most of the reason for our high gas taxes is that NC DOT owns and maintains more than 75% of the state's roadways. Most other states only own about 20% of the roads. In addition, NC relies on the gas tax to provide 90% of the funds for road building and repairs. Other states rely more on a mix of local and state taxes. And to make matters worse, NC has a grade of D- when it comes to bridge and road maintenance. Our current funding method is woefully inadequate to fill our needs for repairs to and replacement of our infrastructure.

And interesting to note that while the NC gas tax is high, the total price per gallon in NC is no higher than the national average. IMO, we need to move away from gas taxes to fund roads and repairs. As hybrids and high mileage vehicles become more prevalant, we will need to find more stable revenue streams like local, state and yes, even property taxes.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:40 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,083,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
What would you want them to do? If they lower the gas tax, they'll have to make up the revenue somewhere else or cut spending heavily.
Cut the gas tax and cut spending. While he's at it he should cut some more taxes, too.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Cut the gas tax and cut spending. While he's at it he should cut some more taxes, too.

Cutting spending is a great idea until you start trying to decide where to cut. As UNC4Me points out, our roads need repairs and maintenance. That's a dangerous area to make sweeping spending cuts.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 AM

3,297 posts, read 8,534,155 times
Quote:
What would you want them to do? If they lower the gas tax, they'll have to make up the revenue somewhere else or cut spending heavily. As we've discussed on this board several times before, NC's overall tax burden is not unreasonable--we're slightly above the midpoint in this regard. We pay more in gas taxes, while other states pay more property tax, or income tax, or tolls, etc.
Virginia's state income tax is 2% less than NC for the highest earners and a whopping 4% less for the lower earners. Their gas taxes are almost $.20 less. Real estate taxes are just about even with NC as far as my experience goes. They do have a few toll roads in the urban areas of the state, but it's easy not to drive on them if you don't want to. Their unemployment percentage is 4% less than NC right now. They also have one of the larger state maintained highway systems in the country. I wish we could tax more like them...

Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM

^ According to this site, Virginia's overall tax rate is a whopping 1/2 percentage point lower than NC...really not a significant difference at all. Note also that VA's per capita income is significantly higher than NC's (perhaps due to the many federal government employees in NOVA), so they can have a lower income tax rate and still collect as much or more as NC.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:49 AM

106 posts, read 316,991 times
Quote:
^ According to this site, Virginia's overall tax rate is a whopping 1/2 percentage point lower than NC...really not a significant difference at all. Note also that VA's per capita income is significantly higher than NC's (perhaps due to the many federal government employees in NOVA), so they can have a lower income tax rate and still collect as much or more as NC.
Arby is right so often, I can't rate him/her positively anymore until I rate some other posters. Please, everyone who is not arbyunc, start making some sense!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 AM

286 posts, read 650,044 times
Our gas tax used to be well worth it. Drive in SC some and you will understand; they have a low gas tax and the roads are deplorable. We actually (used to) take care of our roads. Lately though I don't see the DOT doing much of anything anymore. We have a lot of missing signs (that were stolen months ago) and this summer I saw grass so tall on freeways that at times you couldn't even see the traffic in opposing lanes.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,342,473 times
I think it depends on where you are going. We just went to Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago and US highway 1 was bumpy as the state used tar just to cover the cracks but as soon as you cross into South Carolina, Hwy ! was like new.
We also like on there was signs for the over 5 roads we took direction for beach traffic.
I also like how SC builds it highways with slopes so the rain water doesn't pond.

Same thing with I 77 crossing into SC the road is rough condition but cross in SC the road is new and more lanes.

I do like this state wild flower along the highway program not sure if that is part of highway tax or not but it probably saves the state money in labor for less miles to mow.
Another I am not sure is a part of the gas tax is this state no matter where has the cleanest rest areas.

I do wish there was more roads with groves on the side and middle that come in handy at night when you cant see the lines.
So I would like to see better reflective paint, reflectors in the road or grooves if we are going to pay higher tax.

Also better allocation of road money to urban sprawl area the money is needed for the growth.

I love the triad as I think it has always been ahead of game with new roads and highways.
It ad in the same time I think the new stretch of 85 between Greensboro - Burlington was started and finish while 485 over decade and half is still not done and already needs widening.

Republicans are good about trimming waste lets hope they do so with jobs in mind too.

It has been over 20 years since Republican Governor Martin has been in office and I like change in power every now and then to clean up the waste of the other party.

McCrory touted drilling off our shore which will be hard for him to convince on federal level but this country exports more oil than it imports this will not lower our price when it already tax higher than the other southern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina