Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 11:09 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times

Advertisements

This is new to me.

New Legislation- Beginning July 2013

Currently, vehicle registration and the property taxes for the registered vehicle are processed separately. First, you receive notice and pay your vehicle registration fee to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV). Then three months later, you receive notice and pay the property tax for that vehicle to your local County Tax Office. This occurs separately because the counties are responsible for managing all property taxes, including motor vehicle taxes, and the NCDMV is responsible for managing vehicle registration. The new law transfers the responsibility for motor vehicle tax collection from the 100 counties across North Carolina to the NCDMV.

Beginning with registration renewals due mid-to-late 2013, the NCDMV will begin sending a new combined notice for vehicle registration and the property tax for the motor vehicle, and both will be due at the same time. The full amount of property taxes and NCDMV registration fees must be paid in full, to the NCDMV, before a registration renewal sticker can be issued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 10:18 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
I like the idea...I prefer to pay it all together.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:40 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
So wait, if I pay my property tax in January this year do I have to pay an extra 3 months as my registration is for october?! Is the state smart and nice enough to at least prorate it?

Old 11-25-2012, 08:50 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
This sounds like it might work out better for me. The county currently sends two bills in the same envelope (our registrations expire at the same time), but they are not smart enough to accept a lump payment causing me to send separate payments. To make the matter worse some genius thought it a good idea to have a different account number each year. Now each year the bill(s) arrive I must go in my financial software create a new account with the current account number.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:57 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
So wait, if I pay my property tax in January this year do I have to pay an extra 3 months as my registration is for october?! Is the state smart and nice enough to at least prorate it?
They probably won't prorate as there is no such thing with property taxes. If you read the tax bill it applies to vehicles owned as of Jan 1 of that year; if you sell it Jan 2 you still owe property taxes. Same applies when buying a vehicle.
Besides it will balance out; you pay property tax in 1/13 again in 10/13 but you won't have to pay again until 10/14

Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Some more info on the new Tag & Tax program:

NCDOT: Tag & Tax Together

Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Starting in mid 2013
I just saw on the news with in addition to that link above to help clarify when everything is due.

Registrations are mailed one month ahead of due date.
Inspections must be done within 90 days prior to do due date.

The change is previously you had 15 days grace period of next month to pay past due date, that has been extended to the end of the month.
Basically an individual has 90 days to pay for tags & taxes at the DMV.

I feel for those who have multiple cars with different tag registration dates.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 PM

263 posts, read 571,917 times
I feel for those who have multiple cars with the SAME tag registration dates (because of the large chunk of money they'll have to pay all at once). Breaking up the tax payment and the registration payment was good for those who live mostly paycheck-to-paycheck.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburns View Post
I feel for those who have multiple cars with the SAME tag registration dates (because of the large chunk of money they'll have to pay all at once). Breaking up the tax payment and the registration payment was good for those who live mostly paycheck-to-paycheck.
I did not even think about that. That would be a money pain. I was thinking about keeping track what is due when..
Inspection, registration and now property tax. I wonder once you pay first time on property tax will the state have it in their system that its has been paid. Also I wonder if the state is going to mess up since each county has different property tax rates.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 PM

The tax & tag program finally became effective on September 1st.

DOT has made a page with all type of question and answer page here.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/business/D...nformation.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina