Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2006, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 8,593 times

Advertisements

I have been looking through this forum, done searches etc and don't find a lot of information about the area around Burlington. Can anyone tell me about the town, crime rate, good/bad areas etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 03:32 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,856 times
My in-laws live in Burlington. It's really a nice city. Avoid the east part of town. The west is pretty safe and newer. It's technically in the Greensboro metro, but you're still not far from Durham and Chapel Hill. But as you head east from Greensboro (which is where Burlington is), housing prices go up and up the closer you get to Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. If that's not an issue for you, I'd highly recommend Burlington.

Old 10-01-2006, 03:40 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat View Post
I have been looking through this forum, done searches etc and don't find a lot of information about the area around Burlington. Can anyone tell me about the town, crime rate, good/bad areas etc?
My husband and I are also looking at the Burlington area, actually from Mebane west to W-S. Burlington and Whitsett don't have much info on them. Hope you get a response.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:12 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Default Burlington and Mebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
My husband and I are also looking at the Burlington area, actually from Mebane west to W-S. Burlington and Whitsett don't have much info on them. Hope you get a response.

I really like Burlington. It's a busy little city for a city its size, but retains a small town feel. Probably nothing compared to what you're used to in Florida, though, Catrick. I blew a radiator there last summer. God bless the local service station that replaced it on a Sunday, did a great job and was reasonably priced. I've been there about 4 or 5 times in the last year and yep, I still like it. I don't know the high crime areas or anything about the schools. I think Raleigh Rob said something on another thread about the schools not being too good, but I'm too lazy to search for it. Elon is also worth looking onto.

I like Mebane too. A lot. Smaller, different kinda feel, lotsa new home building going on. It's hard me to advise you Catrick, 'cause our criteria was so different than yours and everything is a matter of taste We like land in the country.

As I recall, your husband is in a specialized field of construction so the better job opportunities, IMO, are going to be in the Raleigh metro area. That would be another consideration in recommending it to you. May not be far by your driving standards or mine, but when the companies have people who don't want to commute 60 miles flake out on them, they tend to look more locally to hire. Here's an example. We live a whopping 30 minutes from downtown GSO. (15 minutes from the edge of GSO) A company that is HQ'd there actually asked my husband if we planned on moving closer in. LOL! The employee he would have replaced was tired of driving from Burlington. Burlington is an easy 30-40 mile drive from GSO. I guess you have to have lived in the D.C. metro area or someplace comparable to appreciate the humor in them asking my DH if we planned on moving closer in than a 30 minute drive

I don't know the first thing about Whitsett. Sorry! Good luck to you.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 10-01-2006 at 06:51 PM..

Old 10-04-2006, 10:17 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
Smile Finally found this on page 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I really like Burlington. It's a busy little city for a city its size, but retains a small town feel. Probably nothing compared to what you're used to in Florida, though, Catrick. I blew a radiator there last summer. God bless the local service station that replaced it on a Sunday, did a great job and was reasonably priced. I've been there about 4 or 5 times in the last year and yep, I still like it. I don't know the high crime areas or anything about the schools. I think Raleigh Rob said something on another thread about the schools not being too good, but I'm too lazy to search for it. Elon is also worth looking onto.

I like Mebane too. A lot. Smaller, different kinda feel, lotsa new home building going on. It's hard me to advise you Catrick, 'cause our criteria was so different than yours and everything is a matter of taste We like land in the country.

As I recall, your husband is in a specialized field of construction so the better job opportunities, IMO, are going to be in the Raleigh metro area. That would be another consideration in recommending it to you. May not be far by your driving standards or mine, but when the companies have people who don't want to commute 60 miles flake out on them, they tend to look more locally to hire. Here's an example. We live a whopping 30 minutes from downtown GSO. (15 minutes from the edge of GSO) A company that is HQ'd there actually asked my husband if we planned on moving closer in. LOL! The employee he would have replaced was tired of driving from Burlington. Burlington is an easy 30-40 mile drive from GSO. I guess you have to have lived in the D.C. metro area or someplace comparable to appreciate the humor in them asking my DH if we planned on moving closer in than a 30 minute drive

I don't know the first thing about Whitsett. Sorry! Good luck to you.

Regards,

Cassie
First off, finding something a little on the small side would be great. South Florida has really grown and is very hectic. Great but hectic. And living here I really appreciate the humor in what you said about the 30 minute drive. It is always an adventure here about how long it might take to get someplace. Keeps you on your toes though. And you are either really early or really late.

So, my husband wouldn't mind a bit of a drive. Seems to us that the Triangle is really growing and we could kind of see it being like here in the not too distant future. Not that here is bad, just crowded. And if you have been to South Florida, everything is pretty much flat. I am originally from Chicago and my husband from Colorado and we miss the seasons and my husband likes the Triad because of it being close to the mountains. And I am not too far away from the ocean. We are both getting too old for the winters up north and in Colorado.

We are also looking for new. Again, getting too old to go in and fix up an older home and we have done that in the past. But we are looking for smaller developments. We live in a small one now and it is pretty good. Everyone knows everyone else and it is not out of control. Anyway, enough babble.

Thanks for your input about Burlington and Mebane. Saw a bit of Mebane on our last trip and liked it. And I have a friend at work whose daughter is in W-S at Wake Forrest and they love it there when they visit. And we got some tips from her. So we will be there in a few weeks and as I sit here and sweat, we are looking forward to our vist. And my husband also says any place where people can keep their horses must be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina